PDA

View Full Version : DVD ripper won't do a series! Why?

Adrain
23-11-2009, 03:36 AM
Hi one and all.
Over the past few months I've taken advantage of the price wars for Xmas and bought a few DVD box sets (films and series) and also a couple of 1 TB ext HDD to rip them to in avi format. Also bought one of those USB input to TV output converter boxes (plug in an ext HDD or SD card etc and play it on the TV). This way I can take a selection of films and comedy series for Xmas day for a choice to view (I'm sure there will still be arguments tho, but...).
The films seem to rip well (to avi) and I'm happy with that.

HOWEVER the series DVDs that have a few episodes on one DVD only seem to rip 1, 2, 3 but never all the episodes. For instance, Monty Python Series 1 has two DVDs. The first with 7 episodes on, the second with 6 episodes on. But when I rip either of them, the output is usually the same and only a couple of episodes!!

So I ask all you Brainiacs out there, is there a way of ripping a DVD that has multiple episodes on it as opposed to one film? I am willing to pay for a program (although a free one would always be nice) as all the DVDs are mine and the ripping is for personal use not copying and selling on (although I guess I can't prove that to you, a? :D )

Regards,

Adrain

McRuff
23-11-2009, 09:48 AM
Make sure what ever program you are using is doing a full disk copy and not movie only. It should work if it doesn't try another ripping program

Zippity
23-11-2009, 10:26 AM
Spend the $$$$ and buy a proper DVD copy programme :)

Adrain
23-11-2009, 10:30 AM
McRuff,
The program (I use) makers explained that I should use the 'video_ts.ifo' file as this should be the most base file needed. So that's what I've been using.
Hmm! Guess we'll see what else comes up, a?
Regards

Adrain
23-11-2009, 10:36 AM
And Zippity
I thank you (seems I was answering McRuff when I got the email saying you had answered) and that's not a problem. But can you name a decent one that will convert a DVD to AVI, films fine but all the episodes on a DVD as well?

I guess this is still my main problem, a?

Regards

GameJunkie
23-11-2009, 10:46 AM
what program are you using to do the ripping?

i've used dvd decrypter in the past

kahawai chaser
23-11-2009, 12:12 PM
Perhaps analyze the structure of the DVD files (VOB files), and you maybe able to re-author/modify them to select specific files to convert/generate the required output file(s). Many have used DVD Shrink and/or DVD Decrypter. These tutorials (http://www.doom9.org/) for re-authoring/backing up may help.

nofam
23-11-2009, 12:28 PM
Must admit I have the same issue; I rip TV show DVD's to .iso using dvd-decrypter, and then encode to h.264/mkv using handbrake, but I usually only get the first one or two episodes.

Haven't been too concerned with finding a solution as I just watch the .iso's, but will watch this thread with interest! :thumbs:

Zippity
23-11-2009, 12:37 PM
I'll post the names of the 2 great programmes that I use when I get home tonight :)

kahawai chaser
23-11-2009, 12:55 PM
Just remembered a site I used a few years back, which have guides for about anything related to DVD formats/files. Try afterdawn.com (from Finland) then - Guides - then scroll down/search to select a tutorial.

Zippity
23-11-2009, 06:36 PM
The best programmes to copy "episode" DVDs are 1Click DVD Copy Pro, closely followed by DVDFab 6 :)

Roger Hunt
25-11-2009, 05:57 AM
X-Media Recode will do it too and its much better than Handbrake.
DVD Shrink will make an ISO you could burn with Image Burn.
After Dawn and Doom 9 are good sites that go into all of this sort of thing in great detail.

nedkelly
25-11-2009, 07:11 AM
i got one that i use called fairuse

Agent_24
25-11-2009, 12:32 PM
There's no need to pay for any DVD ripping tool, they can all do it, you just have to make sure you select the right files.

plod
25-11-2009, 04:09 PM
If you have VLC installed you can rip using handbrake. A free option worth trying

Sherman
25-11-2009, 04:20 PM
What I do is rip the DVD to the HDD using DVD decryptor/DVDFab 6.

I then select the resulting VIDEO_TS folder in Handbrake.

Once the DVD has been loaded into handbrake, you can select the different "titles". Each "title" that has a length of ~24min or ~40-45min is usually a single episode.
I select a title (usually the first in the list), set my encoding settings and choose an output filename (I usually use Series Name [1x05] for example). I then add the job to the queue. After that, all I have to do is select each title in turn, increment the episode number on the output filename and add it to the queue. Then move on to the next DVD-open it, select the first appropriate title and increment the episode number. Repeat untill you have as many DVD's as you are comfortable with converting in one session.
Then it's simply a matter of hitting the encode button, and leave it doing it's thing for the next day or so (depending on episode number, encoding settings and computer speed).

PS: I've found that in general the title order on the DVD's corresponds to the chronological order of the epsiodes, however this is not always the case, so you may need to rename some of the episodes at the end if they do not correspond to the actual video.