PDA

View Full Version : Wireloss home network issues

georgenz
22-11-2009, 10:13 PM
We had a set up at home of an Telecom ADSL modem and a separate Linksys wireless router and we were connecting to this with 4 laptops.

We were given a Telecom 2Wire Broadband Kit so this allowed us to re-arrange the house and combine the 2 pieces of equipment into one. We now have 3 laptops (and an N85) that appear to be working fine but of course there always has to be one.

It is an old Thinkpad R31 which has an 11a/b/g Wireless - Cardbus Adaptor which was working fine with the previous set up. I am actually typing on it now as there is no problem connecting using the ethernet cable (which I have used to confirm the issue is a wireless one).

The laptop shows as being connected to the home network without any problem and when you open a browser it appears to be ok, and you may even be able to go to a couple of links but then it just stops and you get a 'cant connect to server' message. Sometimes a 'repair' with get you going again but once more for just a couple of pages. It is almost as if it gets 'clogged' (not a very technical term I know)

Any suggestions welcome

CYaBro
22-11-2009, 10:56 PM
What security is being used? Wep, wpa or wpa2?

georgenz
23-11-2009, 08:09 AM
The old set up was WEP this one I am pretty sure is WPA2 (may be WPA) but definitely one of those 2. Sorry at work and would need to confirm.

nofam
23-11-2009, 08:36 AM
The best way to troubleshoot these things George is to remove all the security (encryption, MAC address filtering etc) and prove the connection first.

Are you using DHCP? If so, is the ADSL modem handing out addresses, or the Linksys?

Is the WiFi adapter using the default channel?

Are you using Windows' inbuilt wireless connection manager, or the adapters' one?

georgenz
23-11-2009, 09:08 AM
The best way to troubleshoot these things George is to remove all the security (encryption, MAC address filtering etc) and prove the connection first.

Are you using DHCP? If so, is the ADSL modem handing out addresses, or the Linksys?

Is the WiFi adapter using the default channel?

Are you using Windows' inbuilt wireless connection manager, or the adapters' one?

Hi,

when I go into the settings it shows,

- no MAC address filtering on any connection
- it shows the connection is DHCP (and is shows connected within the modem settings) and the 2WIRE is handing out addresses (at least that is what it says when you connect, it is pretty quick but is connects and then gets and IP)
- the linksys is no longer involved
- windows in managing the connection

just to confirm I have connected without issue an IBM R51 (XP) , a Toshiba (XP), and a Dell (W7), and my phone; the problem laptop operates fine when I connect with an Ethernet cable but the problem revolves around the WIFI. The machine will be redundant soon but is just confusing that the new setup doesn't work and the old one did and I hate mysteries.

nofam
23-11-2009, 09:30 AM
Could just be a bit of a ruck between your wireless adapter and the Linksys router; this used to happen a lot before Intel started incorporating WiFi on their chipsets. What make/model is the adapter? Is it PCMCIA or USB?

CYaBro
23-11-2009, 10:02 AM
As stated by nofam, best place to start would be to turn off any encryption and test the connection.
Some older wifi cards don't like the new WPA/WPA2 security.

georgenz
23-11-2009, 10:39 AM
Thanks guys.

Nofam the card (it is one of those that is removable) worked fine with the Linksys it is just the new 'all in one' which looks like this http://www.trademe.co.nz/Computers/Networking-modems/Wireless-networking/Routers/auction-254702341.htm that we are having the issue with.

CYaBro I think it is probably a security issue and an old card http://www-307.ibm.com/pc/support/site.wss/MIGR-51855.html but if it means compromising that then I think we will just work around it.