PDA

View Full Version : Question for the Linux buffs

jwil1
22-11-2009, 09:50 PM
I am considering using FOG (http://fogproject.org) at work to image client PCs instead of Ghost 8 which we use currently.

We are currently using one Western Digital NAS for our storage (192.168.44.81) and another for backups (192.168.44.82). If possible, I'd like to store my disk images on .81, instead of on the local disk of the server. By default, FOG creates a /images mount point on hda1. This isn't ideal (although it would work) as we want to store most of our data (including disk images) on the NAS.

What I want to know, is whether you can (and if so, how) mount a network location as a mount point, and have it replace the /images mount point created by FOG.

Thanks! :)

johnd
22-11-2009, 10:35 PM
Basically on the server you need content in the /etc/exports file (a file or files to export i.e. a share in MS Windows terms).

At the other end:

mount ServerName:/pathway

... from memory but with a little research you should be right.

jwil1
22-11-2009, 10:55 PM
OK, the contents of /etc/exports makes absolutely no sense to me :p

Here's what it has in there at present:

/images *(ro,sync,no_wdelay,insecure_locks,no_root_squash, insecure)
/images/dev *(rw,sync,no_wdelay,no_root_squash,insecure)

What do I need to add to make it point /images to the NAS? /images/dev should stay on the local server.

Edit: We have enabled authentication on both NASs - where do I put in the password/username?

Erayd
23-11-2009, 01:50 AM
Which protocol are you wanting to use? NFS? CIFS? SMB? SFTP? SCP? FTP? Something else? I'd recommend you use NFS; if you can be bothered setting it up properly it will easily outperform every other protocol in that list. It's also extremely easy to set up.

/etc/exports (on the server) defines what you are sharing via NFS. If you want to mount those shares from another host, you need to do that in /etc/fstab (on the client host), or manually run the 'mount' command.

NFS doesn't use usernames / passwords, it maps UIDs / GIDs directly. If you omit no_root_squash, it will remap user 'root' to user 'nobody'.

I notice you're using sync - that will result in unbelievably slow speeds. Use async unless you have a *very* good reason for requiring full synchronous I/O.

I suggest you pay careful attention to the permissions - exporting a mountpoint rw to * with no_root_squash is a disaster waiting to happen; it means "allow full root access to *anything* capable of routing packets to your NFS server".

Edit: Don't use no_root_squash unless you really do need to grant remote clients root access to the filesystem! Note that you can export the same mountpoint several times with different permissions, if you want to tweak who is allowed to do what.

jwil1
23-11-2009, 07:33 AM
So far I'm just using a VM to test it, so I'm open to suggestions.

I have modest experience with Linux Erayd - your post doesn't make an awful lot of sense to me... :)

The only thing we need to be able to do is for the FOG server to send images to it, backed up to a directory on the NAS.

Erayd
24-11-2009, 11:17 AM
I have modest experience with Linux Erayd - your post doesn't make an awful lot of sense to me... :)Sorry - I assumed you knew more than you did, based on your earlier post content. Can you clarify which bits are confusing you?

jwil1
24-11-2009, 03:56 PM
TBH I don't really care how it's done, as long as I get acceptable speeds and can do everything I sadi I needed in the first post.

Basically, just give me the code for /etc/exports :p

fred_fish
24-11-2009, 04:06 PM
TBH I don't really care how it's done
You should

He did.
Either RTFM or pay someone to come and do it for you.

Erayd
24-11-2009, 04:22 PM
You should

He did.
Either RTFM or pay someone to come and do it for you.
Hey, be nice!

TBH I don't really care how it's done, as long as I get acceptable speeds and can do everything I sadi I needed in the first post.

Can do, but you'll need to tell me what you actually want - your posts don't give nearly enough detail for me to write your exports file for you.

fred_fish
24-11-2009, 04:32 PM
Hey, be nice!

Yes, OK. Sorry to the OP, I ignored the smiley too.
Honest officer, it (the keyboard) just went off by itself. :)

Have had a spate of "Don't want to know... you do it for me" type of 'demands' in another forum. Trigger finger was itchy...

Also, you could Read This Fine Manual (http://www.faqs.org/docs/Linux-HOWTO/NFS-HOWTO.html)

Erayd
01-12-2009, 05:07 PM
jwil1, have you solved your problem, or are you still having issues?