PDA

View Full Version : REALLY slow burn speeds

xyz823
22-11-2009, 08:00 AM
Anyone able to help with this?

Using 16x DVD+R Transonic 4.7GB Discs.

I have also tried 3 different types of discs but they are just as bad.

It says here (http://www.pclicious.com/slow-burning-dvd-drive-how-to-fix-in-4-easy-steps/) to change the IDE ATA/ATAPI controllers from PIO to DMA but I checked and some are DMA and the others are just have a blank box under advanced settings.

I am going out now so I will try upgrading the firmware when I get back.

Speedy Gonzales
22-11-2009, 09:08 AM
The blank entries probably dont have anything connected to them. You've only got one burner. It depends on what the burning speed is (for DVD+R) for that burner, on how fast it burns. If the burner doesnt burn at 16X (for DVDR), then it wont burn at 16x. Whats the brand / model of the burner

Twelvevolts
22-11-2009, 10:04 AM
The drive detects the type of disk it is and if a new brand of disk has come along it doesn't recognise, the default burn speed drops back to 4X. Therefore it is possible to have a burner that is rated at 16X but only burns most discs at 4X, especially if the drive is older and there haven't been any recent firmware releases.

wainuitech
22-11-2009, 10:10 AM
A lot also has to do with the other hardware in the PC as well. Its not always best to try and burn at full speed, as errors often happen.

My DVD burner is 24X, The DVD's I use are Imation 16X - yet on average when writing a larger file, say a 2.5GB ISO it burns at around 8.2X even though it can be set to 16X - when burning large files I always drop the speed down to the lowest - the smaller the file the faster it will burn, as not so much of the buffer is full.

Cato
22-11-2009, 10:30 AM
You'll need to change your settings in the BIOS for DMA.

This does not have much to do with the speed rating of the drive or the disk medium...

1x would be faster than what he is currently buring at. 4x should be a 5.3MB/s

gary67
22-11-2009, 10:59 AM
I tend to slow my burning down too for the same reasons as Wainui

Twelvevolts
22-11-2009, 01:59 PM
According to tests run recently by a magazine across the ditch, the TDK discs (you can get at the Warehouse) are the best media of the ones they tested.

xyz823
22-11-2009, 06:08 PM
Well the drive is a HL-DT-ST DVDRAMGT20L and using image burn at 4-5x write speeds I am getting 6-7MB/s.

So is it like a windows setting or something that is causing slow burning within windows explorer?

Speedy Gonzales
22-11-2009, 06:12 PM
Use something else besides windows built-in burning, if thats what youre using. See if it makes a diff. So what speed does it burn DVDR's?? Is this on a laptop or desktop?

xyz823
22-11-2009, 06:15 PM
Use something else besides windows built-in burning, if thats what youre using. See if it makes a diff. So what speed does it burn DVDR's??

Using imageburn atm and and it makes ALOT of difference. And all DVDs and CDs are burning slow through windows. It started recently which is odd because it used to work fine.

Speedy Gonzales
22-11-2009, 06:17 PM
Its probably because windows built-in burning doesnt know what speed it can handle. Whereas, a standalone program will

xyz823
22-11-2009, 06:19 PM
Its probably because windows built-in burning doesnt know what speed it can handle. Whereas, a standalone program will

So is there any reason that t used to burn fine but doesn't now?

Speedy Gonzales
22-11-2009, 06:22 PM
Pass. I've never really used the built-in burning, in XP, Vista or Windows 7. I use cdburnerxp. Programs may have something that the built-in burning doesnt have or something, to speed things up