PDA

View Full Version : Suggested minimum specs for media PC running Windows media centre

Myth
22-11-2009, 07:42 AM
If one wanted to play various games emulators, watch avi or dvds and also play PC games (from around 2005?) on a machine running Windows media centre, what would you suggest would be the minimum specs required?

pctek
22-11-2009, 08:30 AM
Er.... I wouldn't. If you hadn't mentioned games...but you did.
Win 7, and the best graphics card you can afford.

Chilling_Silence
22-11-2009, 08:41 AM
Yeah no go for Windows Media Center, it sucks. Windows Media Player potentially, MPC-HC is better, VLC maybe if they want remote control, or if the dumbed-down menu is a must then try XBMC which is pretty good.
As pctek says, the best graphics card you can get! CPU 2Ghz+ Dual-Core and a grunty graphics card to do h.264 HD decoding.

pctek
22-11-2009, 12:05 PM
And don't use one of those nasty little MPC cases, too much heat, I've seen that all end in tears before.

Chilling_Silence
22-11-2009, 01:52 PM
Haha yes good point, especially when it's tucked away in a tight spot in the TV Cabinet :p

nmercer
22-11-2009, 03:09 PM
Yeah no go for Windows Media Center, it sucks. Windows Media Player potentially, MPC-HC is better, VLC maybe if they want remote control, or if the dumbed-down menu is a must then try XBMC which is pretty good.
As pctek says, the best graphics card you can get! CPU 2Ghz+ Dual-Core and a grunty graphics card to do h.264 HD decoding.

I have to ask, whats so sucky about Windows Media Centre?

Been on Windows 7 MCE for 9 months here, and the Vista and XP versions before that and very happy with the experience. Even if I am slightly biased...

Speedy Gonzales
22-11-2009, 03:13 PM
At least Win 7 MCE worked with this tuner, (it detected it, let me record / paused TV, showed the guide), and everything worked on the Xbox, inc the tuner. Whereas Vista's didnt. Since it doesnt have the right files, to detect / work with a freeview USB tuner

Battleneter2
23-11-2009, 09:47 AM
Well for those that want a cheap media center that plays nearly everything, Divix,Xvid and networking, BUT doesn't have a DVD player (who needs one), I know a few people that have this.

http://www.trademe.co.nz/Computers/External-storage/Other/auction-249552341.htm
http://www.acryan.com/index.php?option=com_acryan_product&product_item=212&parent_id=42&Itemid=98

not sure where to get them retail, but know the wholesaler is. Of course there are a ton of other dedicated media centers around some better than others.

Chilling_Silence
23-11-2009, 07:05 PM
The WDTV Live (Not the WDTV HD) is cheaper, and works a charm, had mine for a few weeks now and yeah :D

Battleneter2
23-11-2009, 07:37 PM
Actually half the time I use a nasty Philips DVD DivX capable DVD playesr we picked up for like $45 from Havey Normads a while back, has a front USB port so just dump stuff onto a large mem stick, works a treat lol, however not really a media center :P