PDA

View Full Version : Emulators

Myth
22-11-2009, 07:33 AM
I have been asked to set up a media centre/gaming machine.

As part of this machine, the client would like to be able to play games from various gaming consoles.
He has the following consoles and would like to be able to incorporate all three onto one machine:
Wii
Ps2
Xbox
So I suggested it MAY be possible through emulation and have been asked to look into it.

Does anyone here have any practical knowledge of any emulators for the above consoles?
Also, with Wii in particular, are there gaming controllers available for PC?

Any other help/advice appreciated :)

pctek
22-11-2009, 08:31 AM
Jeez, I don't think so. There aren't emulators for all of them.
Tell him just to stick with his consoles then.

Chilling_Silence
22-11-2009, 08:40 AM
Emulators for potentially 1 of the 3. That said due to the uncertainty around the legitimacy of such software, it's a grey area for discussion on these forums. Not sure if this is the right place to ask, perhaps you're just better off with Google...

Chris09
22-11-2009, 09:59 AM
Indeed. Emulators for PS1, gameboy and little platforms like that is possible. PS3, 360, Wii? I hardly think so. I haven't seen anything about that, and I know some pretty dodgy places on the net that dwindle in these affairs.

Just stick to consoles. Keeps it simple and legal. Lol.

Cato
22-11-2009, 10:27 AM
You will encounter much pain and suffering if you go the emulator way...

My only experience with emulation was with PS1 (never had issues gameboy): in 2003 games with a relatively decent machine with very bad results. I don't care to try again.

qazwsxokmijn
22-11-2009, 11:55 AM
There is a PS1 emulator. I just used one to play an old game (my PS1 has long died :().

PS2 emulators do exist, but there's a hardware limitation to it. Apparently the coding for the emulator is so inefficient that you'd need some 4GHz+ Core 2 Duo to play PS2 games at 40-50 FPS when normally a PS2 would run games at 60FPS.

I tried Tekken 4 with the PS2 emulator with 1.6GHz Core Duo laptop and it only ran at about 7FPS.

qazwsxokmijn
22-11-2009, 11:56 AM
There is a PS1 emulator. I just used one to play an old game (my PS1 has long died :().

PS2 emulators do exist, but there's a hardware limitation to it. Apparently the coding for the emulator is so inefficient that you'd need some 4GHz+ Core 2 Duo to play PS2 games at 40-50 FPS when normally a PS2 would run games at 60FPS.

I tried Tekken 4 with the PS2 emulator with 1.6GHz Core Duo laptop and it only ran at about 7FPS.

davidmmac
22-11-2009, 12:11 PM
There's a article here (http://lifehacker.com/5042254/operate-your-computer-with-wii-controllers) about using a Wii controller on a PC :), I personally haven't tried it though.

qazwsxokmijn
22-11-2009, 12:18 PM
Heh? Why did I double post? Can a mod please delete one? :help:

Chilling_Silence
22-11-2009, 01:52 PM
You can use a Wii Controller on a PC, that's not a problem at all, but emulating games is a no-go...

CaptainVincent
22-11-2009, 06:41 PM
PCSX2 - PS2 emulator, Ran most games full speed on a x2 5200+

Dolphin - Gamecube Emu, Dual Core runs most games full speed + plays wii games. on the new i5 and i7 intels Mario Galaxy can EASILY be ran at full speed

As far a xbox 1 goes, Xeon or CxBx? can run Turok and Futurama EASILY as full speed but not sure about other games,

nofam
23-11-2009, 09:04 AM
As CaptainVincent says, the first-gen 32-bit consoles are very easy to emulate; ePSXe and SSF do a great job for PS1 and Sage Saturn. PS2 can be emulated with sufficient CPU power, and I'm sure Xbox could be too (as its architecture is basically the same as a PC), although I'm not aware of a decent emulator existing yet.

As for the latest generation of consoles. . . . as qaz mentions, trying to emulate RISC processors is horribly inefficient, particularly when the PS3 etc have so many individual processors for graphics, sound etc. I can't see it happening for many years yet.

As for the legality of it, the hardest part is getting a legitimate source for the BIOS files. Playing games you own from an .iso is a doddle.