PDA

View Full Version : Driving me to Drink - more than usual

Espresso_Addict
21-11-2009, 05:07 PM
Removed my old ide drives and added an additional sata drive.
I know have 2 x sata drives and 2 dvd drives.
Had it all running with the exception that the MoBo wouldn't recognise both the dvd drives. Turned the comp off, changed the cable to another connector and repowered, now I get a continous 'power error' message via the beeping speaker. I have now tried disconecting every single power connection and no improvement.
Stripped the 'power on' and 'reboot' swithces to ensure they weren't sticking.

Any other suggestions?

Speedy Gonzales
21-11-2009, 06:22 PM
So, what are the dvd's?? IDE or SATA? If theyre SATA, are there enough power adapters and data connectors in the case?

stormdragon
21-11-2009, 06:22 PM
To start with what's the board?
What interface did the DVD drives use SATA or IDE?

Espresso_Addict
21-11-2009, 07:18 PM
There both ide but I have sata adaptors fitted to them so they run from the sata connectors.
Have had one running in this config fr about 6 months without any problems.
the mobo has a total of 8 sata connectors so theres plenty of real estate for them

I have now disconnected everything except the boot drive and I still get the continuous beeping from the case speaker - power error

Would resetting the cmos have any effect? My next step is to strip and rebuild it piece by piece

pctek
22-11-2009, 07:43 AM
So what PSU do you have?

Espresso_Addict
22-11-2009, 01:11 PM
Ok. went back to step one, removed psu and tried it in my wife's pc...kicked it into life no worries
Now I've placed it back in mine and no luck. i have removed the pins for the power switch and swapped them with the reset switch and tried that to kick it into life...no luck
Now where do I start looking??

Speedy Gonzales
22-11-2009, 01:14 PM
So, does it turn on at all, with the on/off button on the case? Did you remove the CMOS jumper then replace it, then reconfigure the BIOS?

Espresso_Addict
22-11-2009, 01:17 PM
It won't go at all with the power button, I haven't reset the cmos as yet, should I give that ago?

Speedy Gonzales
22-11-2009, 01:22 PM
Well if its not turning on with the on/off switch, then doing anything else isnt going to make any diff. Short the PWR and GND on the mobo header (where the wires from the on/off switch connect to). Or Change the case. If the switch is dead. Did you switch the switch back on (on the PSU, if its got one). Did you reconnect the ATX 12v adapter (if its got one). Whats telling you theres a continuous power error?? Does it speak or something when there's an error?

Espresso_Addict
22-11-2009, 02:18 PM
Thanks Speedy but I've tried it all.
Initially i would power up via switch, fans would spin etc then the on board speaker would start to continuously beep for bout 20-24 times stop for 10 seconds and restart. Each time I would shut it down. Finally last night I'd had enough and decided to leave it until today, and when I tried again nothing would work, not even a tiny hint of power, no fans, no speaker.......Now I'm starting to think serious MoBo issue.....

Speedy Gonzales
22-11-2009, 02:38 PM
Maybe someone in the forum could check it out, if you live near someone. Where in NZ are you?

Sweep
22-11-2009, 02:39 PM
Or a dead PSU. Have you tried shorting the pins to start the PC thus taking the switch out of the equation?

Speedy Gonzales
22-11-2009, 02:40 PM
Or a dead PSU.

It was installed in the wife's PC, and was fine. So, its not dead.

Sweep
22-11-2009, 02:43 PM
Well it may not have been dead earlier but maybe it is now.