PDA

View Full Version : Trogan

kjaada
21-11-2009, 10:35 AM
My neighbor who runs XP has got a virus.
She had one about 10 days ago and against my advice she got a "professional" in and
cleaned her machine and installed "NORTONS" saying it was a must.
Now she is $160 poorer and back to square one.
WHAT I WOULD LIKE,is for someone to reply and give me step by step,what to download and use to clean her machine without going overboard and protect it in future as I have now been a linux person for a long time and never really "kept up" with MS.
I will get her to use Firefox and Avast (which i recommended before) but then what and in what order.I would appreciate replies from at least one of the regulars with "fool proof" steps but really do not wand several pages of stuff from different posters.

gary67
21-11-2009, 10:40 AM
You can use this (http://www.eset.com/onlinescan/) which is the Eset online scanner. Alternatively try Microsoft security essentials but remove Norton's first there is a Norton removal tool on the net or use Revo uninstaller which is great piece of freeware. Also download and run Hijack this and post the log for Speedy to look at.

I would also try Trojan remover as well, you might be best to run all of these in safe mode with networking

kjaada
21-11-2009, 11:53 AM
Thanks 4 that.Very much as I expected but it sure P...s's me off that her Tech bloke cost her so much and he is laughing all the way to the bank while she has problems.
Mr and Mrs Joe Blow will just not accept that a freebee linux will do what they want and do it safely.
P.S.Her husband has over 3,000 songs on the box which he downloads with torrents.

gary67
21-11-2009, 01:55 PM
They should get a separate box running Linux to do that on then. I run Windows 7 as well as XP on a couple of machines but have Linux box for downloads then scan the downloads before transferring to my Windows machines.

Just realised your in Nelson somewhere if I remember correctly if you need more help PM me

kjaada
24-11-2009, 07:25 AM
Thanks 4 yr help.
All sorted now APART FROM NORTONS which she insisted must be kept
as she paid $90 for it about 2 weeks ago.Box is now running sweet after a very
long cleaning process because of the massive music files.

Chilling_Silence
24-11-2009, 07:27 AM
Don't you hate that? Rather than admit defeat that they were scammed, some people would rather keep a product that is well known to slow their PC, interfere where it shouldn't, and has worse detection rates than even some of the free stuff?! The mind boggles ...

nofam
24-11-2009, 08:04 AM
Surely she should've demanded the tech come back and fix the thing properly? :confused:

inphinity
24-11-2009, 08:13 AM
Don't you hate that? Rather than admit defeat that they were scammed, some people would rather keep a product that is well known to slow their PC, interfere where it shouldn't, and has worse detection rates than even some of the free stuff?! The mind boggles ...

To be fair, NAV2009 has been a complete turnaround for Norton products, and is actually really good with a small footprint. Any of their other scanning engines, though, or their full product suites .. complete bloatware.

Chris09
24-11-2009, 11:09 AM
I would highly recommend doing a bit more than the basic, for future reference and additional protection.

Install and Update MSE and that is her main Anti-Virus
You may or may not choose to download IObit360 Security, which works with any Anti-Virus for maximum Malware protection.
Install and Update SpyBot Search & DesTroY, setting the Passive Defense up
Install and Update Malwarebytes Anti-Malware, for an easier solution to fixing problems when they occur later on
Install and Update SpywareBlaster, setting the Passive Defense up
Install WOT (Web Of Trust) for her surfing safety as well. Because anyone who buys Norton, doesn't have a clue what they're doing.

Anyway, just google those. It's my 2cents worth that may save a lot of trouble in the future by going the extra mile.