PDA

View Full Version : Net slows down upon connecting my comp to the router/LAN

systm
20-11-2009, 11:02 PM
Title says it all. As soon as I connect to the router via ethernet cable, not only does my net slow down but everyone else on the LAN (3 other computers connected via ethernet cables) experiences the same problem. As soon as I unplug the cable everyones net goes back to normal.

I have troubbleshooted the following....

- Tried a new cable
- Uninstalled/reinstalled my ethernet/network adapter drivers
- Tried a different IP address, even set windows to automatic detect
- Restarted the router/cold restart (have not done a reset as our flatmate who has the ISP info is away)
- Uninstalled/reinstalled Sygate (firewall software)
- Scanned computer with Avira (up-to-date)
- Scanned computer with Spyware Doctor

Have done all of these things and the problem still persists. I can only liken the problem to when someone on the LAN is using to much upload bandwidth (pages take ages to load etc) but ontop of that, our download speed is affected as well. Its kinda like, as soon as I plugin to the router our entire internet slows down to 56k!!!! I have Netlimiter installed and can see no processes sending or receiving data, which may contribute to the connection slowing down. There are also no extra processes running on my computer.

Prior to the problem, I did have a friend of mine modifying alot of settings related to the Network, but unfortunately hes left town. But regardless of that I cant understand why everything breaks down as soon as I plug in?

Any help would be appreciated.

:)

systm
20-11-2009, 11:27 PM
** RESOLVED **

Haha, well I managed to get hold of the username/password for the net, did a reset of the router, and lo and behold, problem solved!!!!

Thanx

Chilling_Silence
21-11-2009, 08:15 AM
Interesting, what kind of router is it?