PDA

View Full Version : Trouble shooting Win 7

cermet
20-11-2009, 12:01 PM
I have a Win 7 system-Intell i7 860,Asus P55-Evo MB,4Gb RAM, Saphire Radeon 5870 Graphics (All components newly released)+ new 800W Enermax power. Latest BIOS and graphics drivers installed
I am using a WD 75GB Raptor as Boot disk and 2*320 GB WD drives set up using ASUS Speed drive (Their version of RAID 1) for Speed.

This system crashes 3-4 times/hour – a total crash requiring hard reset (mostly – a couple of times there has been only a program crash and the system remains up.)

My question is how to troubleshoot. The Reliability monitor has the crashes marked as Critical errors but only reports (Power-Kernel – no other details)

I have disabled all services (except Microsoft) and all startup programs with MSCONFIG- Still crashed and all now re-enabled)

I mostly use Adobe Lightroom2 and so this is the software in use at the time of most crashes but it has also gone on Firefox 3, ie8 and Word and also while computer is asleep(won’t wake)

Yesterday a crash changed my Boot Disk priority in the BIOS and I had to re establish the Boot order.

This made me think BIOS but now I’m even more confused. I would really appreciate advice as to how to narrow down the cause of the problem.

Speedy Gonzales
20-11-2009, 12:04 PM
WHAT does the BSOD say?? Does it show the name of a file / driver as well? Not a good idea disabling services under msconfig, if this is what you've done. Disable them under services, in admin tools

gary67
20-11-2009, 12:05 PM
Instead of reliability monitor what does event viewer say?

SolMiester
20-11-2009, 12:29 PM
ram?!

cermet
20-11-2009, 01:51 PM
I am not sure if my reply to this was sent.
BSOD - there are no messages; just a total system crash. Services and Startups were disabled to see if crashed stopped. When they continued, all services/strtups were re-enabled

cermet
20-11-2009, 01:54 PM
Sorry, it is Event Viewer giving the quoted messages. Mess- "Critical event - Kernel-Power ID 41 (The system has rebooted without cleanly shutting down first. This error could be caused if the system stopped responding, crashed, or lost power unexpectedly.) Not a very useful message -" the system crashed because the system crashed "- thanks MS !!

SolMiester
20-11-2009, 02:31 PM
System instablilty is usually RAM issues as a larger part of the kernel is in RAM when running. BSOD are usually driver related or RAM.....if the system isnt staying up very long before crashing, I would suggest checking RAM then the GPU card, then perhap the mobo!

pctek
20-11-2009, 03:27 PM
This system crashes 3-4 times/hour

Crash as in what? I define a crash as a BSOD. It will give you a STOP error if it is.

If you mean it locks up, then that is not a crash exactly.

Or does it just shut off - which is also not a crash.

If it just shuts off, the either PSU or overheating.

cermet
20-11-2009, 03:49 PM
RAM is DD3 Corsair as recommended by Asus as compatible with the MB.It has passed the MS diagnostic test software (2 passes only but that is within the times between crashes.) The Radeon 5870 was to be my next test change but a crash during boot time made me hesitate as probably generic VGA drivers were in operation then ??

Speedy Gonzales
20-11-2009, 04:11 PM
It has to load generic drivers, or you probably wont see anything

fred_fish
20-11-2009, 04:26 PM
Trouble shooting Win 7?

Reload & stand closer :D

linw
20-11-2009, 04:39 PM
Groan:D

Battleneter2
20-11-2009, 08:15 PM
cermet, pull 2gig of ram out and test for stability (then test the other 2). I assume your not overclocking?

cermet
21-11-2009, 10:11 AM
Can't bring myself to shoot something so expensive ! (Torture would be good tho )