PDA

View Full Version : No internet access in Vista

george12
20-11-2009, 12:30 AM
I have a laptop here with an issue where web browsers cannot access the internet (immediate Page Cannot be Displayed or equivalent). IE7 and Firefox.

Vista indicates it's connected fine. I can ping any known server by name (eg pinging trademe.co.nz works fine). Windows can update itself.

The problem occurs whether connected by LAN or WiFi, though both connect fine. It occurs regardless of internet connection. The customer says the problem coincided with installing BitDefender, which she then removed, though this did not solve the problem.

No add-ons mode in IE does not make a difference, nor did resetting the internet connection settings. The "connection troubleshooter" indicates there are no connection problems.

I have tried all relevant methods described here:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/956196

I have also tried resetting the Winsock catalog and TCP/IP as described here (http://www.mydigitallife.info/2007/06/18/repair-and-reset-windows-vista-tcpip-winsock-catalog-corruption/), which has not helped.

I also removed the Symantec something something Filter Driver which was installed on the NIC, but this did not make a difference. There is also the JumpStart Wireless Filter Driver listed (despite the NIC not being wireless) but disabling this makes no difference. There is currently no firewall or AntiVirus installed (until I put AVG on to scan it). Not sure where the Symantec Filter Driver came from.

So, I then tried a System Restore to before BitDefender was ever installed. On reboot, the computer had internet access, but AVG (which I then installed) and Java could both not connect to update. However, on a subsequent reboot after some updates were allowed to install, the computer lost internet access again (despite being able to ping, and Vista reporting internet access).

No viruses were found on the machine at any point.

I am back to square one it seems and completely stuck!

Any help would be appreciated before I give up and reinstall Vista.

Erayd
20-11-2009, 03:39 AM
I assume you've checked the proxy settings, and also checked any group policy scripts that may be resetting the proxy to something undesirable?

Which browsers, other than IE, have you tested in?

If a proxy isn't defined, does it work if you define one (a valid one obviously)?

wainuitech
20-11-2009, 08:29 AM
Ty this - go into the Network adapter setting, untick Internet protocol Internet Version 6 - reboot.

Sometimes version 6 of TCP/IP clashes esp in Vista.

Edited: may or may not be the same problem, but the other week MS put out some updates, and my internet dropped in the same way, ran restore back to the day before and it worked fine again. Left it a day or so and retried, this time it worked OK - this is in Windows 7.

gary67
20-11-2009, 09:12 AM
GEt that sometimes on step sons vista laptop turning off the network connection then re enabling it usually fixes it

somebody
20-11-2009, 09:44 AM
What happens when you boot into "Safe mode with networking"?

george12
20-11-2009, 11:22 AM
Thanks guys.

Steve, the proxy settings was one of the first things I checked. However I hadn't checked any group policy settings and wasn't even aware of the one you mention. Anyway, I set it to a valid proxy and this made no difference.

Note that AVG and Windows can't update either now.

Somebody, that makes no difference unfortunately. Wainuitech, thanks also but that didn't make a difference either. However it does sound like it could be update related. But it shouldn't be, because it happened weeks and weeks ago and now reoccurred immediately.

And gary67, unfortunately that doesn't help either in this case.

Any further suggestions?

Speedy Gonzales
20-11-2009, 11:28 AM
Use the norton removal tool to remove whatever symantec program completely.Just because its uninstalled, doesnt mean all of it is. Or if its going through a router / reset it / reconfigure it

george12
20-11-2009, 12:30 PM
Use the norton removal tool to remove whatever symantec program completely.Just because its uninstalled, doesnt mean all of it is. Or if its going through a router / reset it / reconfigure it

You beauty! Thanks very much.

That sorted it. Didn't occur to me because in fact no Norton product was ever installed. However mysteriously LiveUpdate was there, and that Symantec .. Filter Driver. Some Toshiba thing...

Speedy Gonzales
20-11-2009, 01:40 PM
Sweet! Good to hear its up and running