PDA

View Full Version : How to download TV3 Ondemand content?

cpg
19-11-2009, 09:50 PM
Can anyone offer a solution for saving a TV3 Ondemand file please?

I use the DownloadHelper plugin in Firefox to save TVNZ on demand files just fine, but this does not work with TV3 files.

Thanks for any suggestions.

jwil1
19-11-2009, 09:55 PM
I'm also looking for a solution for this website :)

I think they embed them well enough that the download helps etc can't pick them up. Most will work with TVNZ On Demand because they're just plain flash files being streamed.

The best way may be just to record the screen :(

Trev
19-11-2009, 10:33 PM
Try going into your Temporary Internet files folder and you might find it in there, then copy it to another folder.
:)

gary67
20-11-2009, 09:20 AM
I think from memory they use an unusual file format that only real player can play. We had some Campbell live ones from the big cave rescue that they gave us as a club and it took ages for one of the members to work out a way to convert them to something usable

somebody
20-11-2009, 09:47 AM
There was a discussion on this a while ago, where the consensus was that they were using eRTSP (encrypted RTSP) streams which could not be captured easily. Apparently there were some tools for downloading eRTSP streams, but they were taken down due to legal threats.

Terry Porritt
20-11-2009, 11:44 AM
I have found LiteCam to be an extremely useful recording tool in some circumstances. It will record any streaming video from your screen as an avi file. The drawback is you have to let the video play in real time, it doesn't download the file, and if you want the full version without the watermark in the middle of the screen then you have to pay.

If you can accept a water mark. say for a one off recording then the trial version is ok.

http://www.innoheim.com/litecam.php

Agent_24
20-11-2009, 01:16 PM
Grab++ that comes with Orbit downloader might work

somebody
20-11-2009, 03:17 PM
Grab++ that comes with Orbit downloader might work

Nope - tried it.

nofam
20-11-2009, 03:47 PM
There was a discussion on this a while ago, where the consensus was that they were using eRTSP (encrypted RTSP) streams which could not be captured easily. Apparently there were some tools for downloading eRTSP streams, but they were taken down due to legal threats.

Yup - bang on; I've posted a few times on this topic. There were tools available, but threats of legal action stopped them.

AFAIK there's no way to do this, other than screen grabber apps, which will work, but look rubbish.

Terry Porritt
20-11-2009, 04:26 PM
LiteCam gives no loss of quality

Quote:
liteCam Quick Features:

* Audio Wizard - Automatically detects your sound card for best recording. liteCam quick tutorial for audio and video settings.
* Recording Quality - You have the mirror image of the original movies
* Timer Recording just like VCR!
* Various Recording modes: Custom Size, Window Frame, Full Screen
* Optimized for video recording

It works well, a bit tricky following the instructions, so a bit of practice is needed, well, at least for an old fart like me :)

pcuser42
20-11-2009, 04:36 PM
I use the DownloadHelper plugin in Firefox to save TVNZ on demand files just fine, but this does not work with TV3 files.

I tried it, and all it offers is the ad file. Maybe it's to do with TVNZ ondemand's new design?

pcuser42
20-11-2009, 04:58 PM
Just tried some shows, and some work, but others don't (all shows I tried were NZ).

somebody
20-11-2009, 08:34 PM
Just tried some shows, and some work, but others don't (all shows I tried were NZ).

NZ shows typically aren't protected. International ones are (similar to the TV3 eRTSP setup).

pcuser42
21-11-2009, 08:25 AM
Yet Reservoir Hill, a New Zealand show, can't be downloaded (it used to be able to).

rumpty
22-11-2009, 11:29 AM
I tried it, and all it offers is the ad file. Maybe it's to do with TVNZ ondemand's new design?

The new design at TVNZ On Demand seems to have changed something. A download worked fine at the beginning of the week, using Greasemonkey and a script, received the expected .flv files, but it doesn't want to work now.

pcuser42
22-11-2009, 11:31 AM
I presume you're talking about this script (http://userscripts.org/scripts/show/25685). I've switched to using DownloadHelper now.

autechre
23-11-2009, 09:26 AM
I've used Replay Media Capture previously to record off the TV3 site. I don't know if it still works though.

rumpty
23-11-2009, 05:53 PM
I presume you're talking about this script (http://userscripts.org/scripts/show/25685). I've switched to using DownloadHelper now.

Yes, that one. Will DownloadHelper work on TVNZ OnDemand now though?

pcuser42
23-11-2009, 06:38 PM
It does, though not international shows (which that script didn't do either).