PDA

View Full Version : Opening NAT on Router for MW2

Chris09
19-11-2009, 10:03 AM
My NAT is seen as 'strict' on Modern Warfare 2. I've gone to their site for more information..

http://www.infinityward.com/hostmigration.php

I've been unable to find information on how to fix this NAT issue. I've played around a lot with the router, but nothing seems to open it.

I contacted Dlink support as well, and viewed their online manual and help guide and still nothing, and even they are not sure.

Router: D-Link Wireless ADSL2+ DSL-G604T

Can anybody help?

Thanks

Chilling_Silence
20-11-2009, 06:26 AM
http://portforward.com/english/routers/port_forwarding/Dlink/DSL-G604T/Modern_Warfare_2.htm

Chris09
20-11-2009, 08:52 AM
Hey Chilling, thanks for the reponse.

I've already attempted adding both Steam and MW2's ports, and still nothing.

Including this....

"Reset the router (hold down the reset button (back of unit) while DLink-G604T is on by pressing the button with a pen for about 15secs. Why the reset coz playing with the other rules upset the configuration i.e bad coding by DLINK. DLink uses a busybox (mini linux) as their OS and us for their firewall IPTABLE. They don't clear the tables when switching between the modes.

• Setup the connection again on the WAN.
• Setup Lan if you need.
• In Advanced, NAT - enable it and reboot
• In Advanced, select DMZ
• Add IP 10.1.1.5 Mask 255.0.0.0
• Reboot DSL-G604T

• Create a static IP address for your PC, also may also have to disable DHCP on router. You'll need to create other static IP addresses for other computer in your network
i.e 10.1.1.X where X is a number between 2 - 253

i.e
• Right Click (R/C) on My Network Places - Properties
• R/C on Network Card - Properties
• Select Internet Protocol - Properties
• Use the following
IP 10.1.1.5
MASK 255.0.0.0
GATEWAY 10.1.1.1
DNS 10.1.1.1"

But still nothing. It still says strict. I am puzzled as to why I am one of the few who can't fix this.

Perhaps it's just my model. :(

Speedy Gonzales
20-11-2009, 09:05 AM
Umm under DMZ it doesnt have a mask, only IP (well, mask isnt on here). I sent Dlink that very question, when I wanted to add this Xbox to virtual server on the G604T. Their info on HOW to add it in the FAQ / whatever it is, is wrong. One of the steps , dont exist on the router. They never answered my question. So, in the end I had to add it to DMZ.

Altho, I wouldnt put a PC under DMZ. Since, it'll be wide open to the net

Chilling_Silence
20-11-2009, 09:57 AM
Try a firmware upgrade on it? If that doesn't work, I'd ditch the D-Link, they're bad news (As you're experiencing) in so many ways ...

Chris09
24-11-2009, 12:50 AM
I have an Asus.. something or rather. Perhaps I should try that.

Thanks though.

Chilling_Silence
24-11-2009, 06:58 AM
What's the make / model?

Chris09
24-11-2009, 11:13 AM
Asus 802.11g Wireless with 4-Port ADSL2+ Router
Model: AAM6020VI - T4

Maybe I should just purchase an pricey Belkin? Lol

Chilling_Silence
24-11-2009, 05:07 PM
Damn those things are old now, and my experience of them is they've been flaky even back when they were first new :p

I'm not a fan of the Belkins, see here: http://chillingsilence.wordpress.com/2009/11/23/the-importance-of-a-good-router/

Chris09
24-11-2009, 08:11 PM
What do you suggest then?

Networking is not my preferred pleasure.

Chilling_Silence
24-11-2009, 08:48 PM
Get yourself a NetComm NB6Plus4WN

My wifes family / parents have the same model Asus router ... her brother couldn't get it port-forwarding for games, it's a semi-known issue :(

Flynbya2
02-12-2009, 10:39 PM
I am new here and it looks like there is a great wealth of info here.

I am having the same issues with a different router .It is the linksys wcg200.

I have read this thread,but since I am pretty much a novice,I have a couple additional questions if you don't mind before I proceed any further. I am considering trying to set a static address for my xbox 360 and configuring the ports.
The issue for me is that I have 2 xbox 360's in my house, as well as a pc.They are both experiencing the same issues,so I think it's the router.

Question is,if I set a static IP for one of the xbox's,the other would need a different static Ip,correct?
If so, will there be issues if I forward the ports to the first xbox.I mean ,aren't I using the ports needed for both xbox's to just the first one I set up? Or is there a better way or procedure?I also don't know if it makes any difference,but one is wireless and one is hardwired in.

How do I know if the ports I dedicate to the xbox/s are not already in use for my pc? I would hate to go to this trouble and lose both xbox connectivety and pc connectivety at the same time. That would be a nightmare for me and I might break something....lol

That's just a little vague to me...

Thanks in advance for any advice....

Speedy Gonzales
02-12-2009, 10:47 PM
If you want a static ip, check the PC's ip (if its static), by right mouse on the 2 monitors on the taskbar / network connections. Then right mouse on the connection / properties, then highlight TCP/IPv4 (if its got Vista / Win7 on it). Is it on obtain an ip, or use the following ip address?? You can use whatever ips you want on the Xbox's (just make sure theyre within the router's valid ip range). I had probs with forwarding ports on this Xbox too (the info on the Dlink site were wrong / it had something that didn't even exist in the router). So, in the end I used the DMZ option in the router, to connect the Xbox. Correct you cant use the same ip address on 2 different Xbox's or PC's you'll get an ip conflict

These are the ports (http://support.microsoft.com/kb/908874). Its the ip addresses you have to worry about, (for the Xbox's), not the ports

Speedy Gonzales
02-12-2009, 11:02 PM
If the router has a DMZ option use it, with one of the Xbox's. That way, the ports wont need to be forwarded. It'll be open (so it will connect to the net). Dont put anything in under additional settings on the Xbox under the network info. Leave it as it is

Flynbya2
03-12-2009, 10:12 AM
If you want a static ip, check the PC's ip (if its static), by right mouse on the 2 monitors on the taskbar / network connections. Then right mouse on the connection / properties, then highlight TCP/IPv4 (if its got Vista / Win7 on it). Is it on obtain an ip, or use the following ip address??
I can't even find this...I think I have xp,but don't see these 2 monitors you refer to, so I am stuck alreadyYou can use whatever ips you want on the Xbox's (just make sure theyre within the router's valid ip range). I had probs with forwarding ports on this Xbox too (the info on the Dlink site were wrong / it had something that didn't even exist in the router). So, in the end I used the DMZ option in the router, to connect the Xbox. Correct you cant use the same ip address on 2 different Xbox's or PC's you'll get an ip conflictNot sure I'm 100% on knowing what is valid for my router, but it does not appear to be that difficult, just don't want to do something wrong first thing

These are the ports (http://support.microsoft.com/kb/908874). Its the ip addresses you have to worry about, (for the Xbox's), not the ports
If I am not changing the port settings,what's the point then?

My issues are as follows:

1) matchmaking server rarely works, but has one day only,,,,weird!

2) The only way I am successful at joining is finding a recent person or a friend that is online and playing in a joinable game.It will sporatically allow me in a game this way,but it's intermittent.Many times in this process,it will put me in the lobby with others,but I notice it does not recognize I have a Mich and I cannot hear others.In these cases,it will say "waiting" at the top rather than starting in "X".Generally thereafter,I notice one person always leaves,it searches for another host, then boots me.If the game changes hosts,I am usually not able to migrate,but sometimes it will. According to the xbox,my nat is set to open.I can connect to xboxlive,I don't get that triangle message,but I disconnect automatically quite frequently.

3)There is also a long "hesitation" and the background music stalls while trying to access friends list, join a game, or even sign in to xboxlive again.It just seems very,very sluggish.A lot of times it will disconnect me or give the"unable to join game" message. BUT,at times I can join a game in this fashion and play for hours and hours,as long as I don't leave, weird....

If the router has a DMZ option use it, with one of the Xbox's. That way, the ports wont need to be forwarded. It'll be open (so it will connect to the net). Dont put anything in under additional settings on the Xbox under the network info. Leave it as it is
This whole last part sounds easy,but how is this any different than what I already have set up? I don't understand..Why on only 1 xbox?? Is it the IP addy that's my issue?
Sorry to be such a putz,this is mind-boggling to me.:waughh:

I thought opening the ports would be my issue,I'm not sure where to start now..:confused:

P.S. I have been looking at this page for directions on forwarding.http://www.portforward.com/english/routers/port_forwarding/Linksys/WCG200/XBOX360_Modern_Warfare_2.htm

It shows ,for my router and mw2,in their links:
tcp ports 27014-27050.
UDP ports:1500,3005,3101,27000-27030,28960

These appear to be a bit different than those shown in your link.

Thank you,but I'm still thoroughly confused....

Speedy Gonzales
03-12-2009, 10:32 AM
P.S. I have been looking at this page for directions on forwarding.http://www.portforward.com/english/routers/port_forwarding/Linksys/WCG200/XBOX360_Modern_Warfare_2.htm

It shows ,for my router and mw2,in their links:
tcp ports 27014-27050.
UDP ports:1500,3005,3101,27000-27030,28960

These appear to be a bit different than those shown in your link.

Thank you,but I'm still thoroughly confused....

The ports are probably different, because the ports you've posted are for MW2. The link I posted are ports for the Xbox itself, to get it to connect to Xbox live. If you dont use the DMZ option in the router. If you use the DMZ option, then you WONT have to add the ports for MW2 as well. The DMZ option will work with any game (it bypasses the firewall / router, well it does here). You need separate ip addresses (since you've got 2 Xbox's). And you'll also need 2 different hotmail addies (it probably wont let you log on twice with the same hotmail address on 2 Xboxes).

The first thing we have to figure out is:

Have you configured both Xbox's so both can connect to Xbox live?? If not, you'll have to add the ports for the Xbox's (you'll probably have to put them in twice, but with the 2 different ip addresses you've put on the 2 Xbox's). As well as add the ports for MW2. If you dont use DMZ for one of them

Netsukeninja
03-12-2009, 10:48 AM
Even with forwarded ports you aren't going to see an improvement in multiplayer performance. IWNet is just a rebranded Xbox Live, not tailored to suit the variable performance of each person's computer.

Speedy Gonzales
03-12-2009, 10:51 AM
With the mic, I take it you've plugged it into the controller?? You need to be in a game, for it to work. Are you in NZ or somewhere else Fly?

Flynbya2
03-12-2009, 12:31 PM
The ports are probably different, because the ports you've posted are for MW2. The link I posted are ports for the Xbox itself, to get it to connect to Xbox live. If you dont use the DMZ option in the router. If you use the DMZ option, then you WONT have to add the ports for MW2 as well. The DMZ option will work with any game (it bypasses the firewall / router, well it does here). You need separate ip addresses (since you've got 2 Xbox's). And you'll also need 2 different hotmail addies (it probably wont let you log on twice with the same hotmail address on 2 Xboxes).

The first thing we have to figure out is:

Have you configured both Xbox's so both can connect to Xbox live?? If not, you'll have to add the ports for the Xbox's (you'll probably have to put them in twice, but with the 2 different ip addresses you've put on the 2 Xbox's). As well as add the ports for MW2. If you dont use DMZ for one of them

Even with forwarded ports you aren't going to see an improvement in multiplayer performance. IWNet is just a rebranded Xbox Live, not tailored to suit the variable performance of each person's computer.

With the mic, I take it you've plugged it into the controller?? You need to be in a game, for it to work. Are you in NZ or somewhere else Fly?
Ok guys, this is why I am so confused....

Firstly, I am in Ca. USA,
Secondly,we have two different email addys,and what is even more interesting is that we have had these 2 xboxes for over a year, with the same configurations, which worked flawlessly together and in multi-player for several months.I did nothing I would consider special when we initially set them up.( static ip,or porting forwarding anything!)

In the last few months,connectivety has been getting sketchier.( cod4). Since mw2 was released, it has escalated to the point that I am having all these issues.( They were begining in cod4,but not nearly this bad)

So, in short,it has been working fine in the past so I assume they were set up properly in the beginning.( not much to setting them up.Plug in,resolve a couple issues here and there, and we were off!)

I was initially thinking mw2 had something different about it that caused these issues,but now I am leaning to the router, but I am lost.

THIS is why I am perplexed. BTW, the mic's worked and still do when we connect properly,it's just touch and go with "0" matchmaking capabilities.

I have not heard of anyone having these issues and the fact that both xboxes have the same issue leads me to believe it is not the unit itself.

Where does one turn? What say you?

oh yea, I get either 100 ms ping or 50 ms ping in matchmaking,if that is of any concern.Also, it is a cable isp.

razzarphenix
03-12-2009, 03:21 PM
I'm getting old. MW2 still means mechwarrior 2 to me :rolleyes:

razzarphenix
03-12-2009, 03:31 PM
Damn those things are old now, and my experience of them is they've been flaky even back when they were first new :p

They are "average" for their age. Lack of new firmware was a bit of a bummer and wireless could have been stronger but they did work. Pretty sure you can get openwrt flashed on them now but I never tried as it was adam2 based.

I believe you can load http://www.routertech.org/ firmware though onto them which might be a goer.

Chilling_Silence
04-12-2009, 06:16 AM
Does OpenWRT work on Routers that have ADSL Chipsets inside? I was under the impression DD-WRT was based off OpenWRT and DD-WRT certainly can't, same for Tomato. All work on JUST WAP's like the WRT54G / GL, but not the WAG160n for example?

razzarphenix
04-12-2009, 10:33 AM
Does OpenWRT work on Routers that have ADSL Chipsets inside? I was under the impression DD-WRT was based off OpenWRT and DD-WRT certainly can't, same for Tomato. All work on JUST WAP's like the WRT54G / GL, but not the WAG160n for example?

Some definitely do (AR7 support has certainly improved overtime) but when I last tried there was always something not quite working right (ie you might find wireless doesn't go for example). Personally Id give the routertech firmware a go before openwrt on an ADSL router.

razzarphenix
04-12-2009, 10:49 AM
but not the WAG160n for example? the wag160N wont work yet though on openwrt will take awhile for it to get supported.

Flynbya2
05-12-2009, 08:20 AM
Ok guys, this is why I am so confused....

Firstly, I am in Ca. USA,
Secondly,we have two different email addys,and what is even more interesting is that we have had these 2 xboxes for over a year, with the same configurations, which worked flawlessly together and in multi-player for several months.I did nothing I would consider special when we initially set them up.( static ip,or porting forwarding anything!)

In the last few months,connectivety has been getting sketchier.( cod4). Since mw2 was released, it has escalated to the point that I am having all these issues.( They were begining in cod4,but not nearly this bad)

So, in short,it has been working fine in the past so I assume they were set up properly in the beginning.( not much to setting them up.Plug in,resolve a couple issues here and there, and we were off!)

I was initially thinking mw2 had something different about it that caused these issues,but now I am leaning to the router, but I am lost.

THIS is why I am perplexed. BTW, the mic's worked and still do when we connect properly,it's just touch and go with "0" matchmaking capabilities.

I have not heard of anyone having these issues and the fact that both xboxes have the same issue leads me to believe it is not the unit itself.

Where does one turn? What say you?

oh yea, I get either 100 ms ping or 50 ms ping in matchmaking,if that is of any concern.Also, it is a cable isp.

????

Flynbya2
07-12-2009, 01:23 PM
I guess it stumps you guys too

Chilling_Silence
07-12-2009, 05:18 PM
This is a totally separate issue from the original posters and should realistically be in a new thread.

What happens when you do a factory reset in your Cable Router? Make and model of it?

razzarphenix
07-12-2009, 05:37 PM
This is a totally separate issue from the original posters and should realistically be in a new thread.

+1

Chris09
28-12-2009, 06:17 PM
Just thought I should post to let those looking via search engines who find this, that I managed to fix it.

I'm using a DSL-G604T Generation II (Wireless ADSL2+ Router)

Using 'Simple Port Forwarding' (http://pcwintech.com/simple-port-forwarding) the program, I had played around that for ages today trying a Static IP and resetting the router. Eventually I reset the router to default, added the ports for Modern Warfare 2 which are...

27015 - 27015 TCP
1500 - 1500 UDP
3005 - 3005 UDP
3101 - 3101 UDP
27000 - 27050 UDP
28960 - 28960 UDP

My ports could now be seen via port the tester in 'Simple Port Forwarding' after a clean reset of the router without modification.

I double checked it with 'PFPortChecker (http://portforward.com/help/portcheck.htm) by Portforward.com' and sure enough it looked promising.

OMG got on Modern Warefare 2 and still strict. I went through all the variables and things then I came to software firewall... I don't have one... oh wait... NOD32 Smart Security 4.0 BE with it's firewall. Bing Bing! Disable that and HOORAH!

Now I've actually hosted, and host quite well. I also join games faster, and are more responsive I've found. Why? Dunno. It worked so it's all good.

Hopefully I am able to help someone else out with my information.

snipes1031
01-03-2010, 04:23 PM
Yep, i had the same problem, i had a open ant on mw2 with avira free, and windows firewall. the i got Nod32 Smart Security and thwak... Strict Nat. So wat i done in the nod32 firewall settings is........ Switch to interactive filtering, then it will come up with stuff asking for permission, look at the name, make sure they are good things, my pop ups were steam, and iw4mp, bang, restart mw2 and open nat,

Hope this helped