PDA

View Full Version : Not able to Boot from CD Drive.

Mister
18-11-2009, 02:30 PM
So, I went and brought Windows 7 64 Bit, Put the disk in, Pressed F2, F8 or F12, (I just press all 3 because I don't know what one it actually is) and select Boot from CD Drive..

But here's the problem.. Nothing happens, it just boots like usual..

Is there something I'm doing wrong? I duno.

Thanks

Speedy Gonzales
18-11-2009, 02:35 PM
Get into the BIOS and change the bootdisk, to the cd. Its probably F1, or Del

wainuitech
18-11-2009, 02:54 PM
Had this exact problem yesterday when installing W7 on a new PC I Was building for a customer.

The problem was the IDE drive would not boot the install on the DVD.

Changed it over to a SATA drive as a temp measure, booted fine, installed windows. Reconnected the IDE drive and it now worked perfectly even offered to boot from the CD after windows was installed (just tested it to make sure).

Edited: the board was an Asus P5Q-SE2 - it detected the IDE drive in the BIOS and was set to the first boot device but didn't want to know about it.

Mister
18-11-2009, 03:05 PM
Had this exact problem yesterday when installing W7 on a new PC I Was building for a customer.

The problem was the IDE drive would not boot the install on the DVD.

Changed it over to a SATA drive as a temp measure, booted fine, installed windows. Reconnected the IDE drive and it now worked perfectly even offered to boot from the CD after windows was installed (just tested it to make sure).

Edited: the board was an Asus P5Q-SE2 - it detected the IDE drive in the BIOS and was set to the first boot device but didn't want to know about it.

I see, would you mind explaining how to do this please?

My board is an ASUS P5P43TD

wainuitech
18-11-2009, 03:23 PM
I see, would you mind explaining how to do this please?

My board is an ASUS P5P43TD (History) The original DVD drive was an IDE drive that the customer had purchased about a month ago from me for their old PC. That PC blew up due to a board failure ( it was about 6 years old), so they wanted to reuse the drive if it was still OK (fair enough to).

I installed it in the new PC/Case using the IDE port on the motherboard. Went into the BIOS, set it to first boot device, didn't boot the Windows 7 DVD.

I have new DVD drives in stock most of the time - Disconnected the IDE Cable from the Board - I got a new SATA drive out the cupboard, with the PC turned off, attached it to the #2 SATA port on the board, just left the drive hanging out the side of the case, attached the power lead, started the PC, dropped in the W7 DVD - but of course was to slow to catch the boot, so hit reset, the PC rebooted, detected the SATA Drive/W7 DVD, loaded in windows.

Once finished, with the PC off, removed the SATA drive, reattached the IDE, booted again - it detected the different drive and was fine.

To test - I put the W7 DVD in the IDE drive (the one that wouldn't work before) and this time it came up with "press any key to boot from CD/DVD" (which I didn't of course) - then once w7 started all of 20 seconds later, removed the W7 DVD, carried on installing the Motherboard drivers from the Asus CD.

For some reason the IDE drive wouldn't load in W7 originally.

Is your DVD drive a IDE or SATA ?

Mister
18-11-2009, 03:28 PM
Wow, Big explanation, thanks.

It's a SATA.

wainuitech
18-11-2009, 03:44 PM
OK that stuffs that Reason then :lol:

Assuming the DVD drive is set to boot first in the BIOS, it should work OK.

Just checking - the location BIOS - BOOT Tab - Boot Device Priority ( page 2.20 of the Manual) - double click 1st Boot device, then arrow keys to DVD drive <enter> then 2nd Boot Device -same again, but HDD.

Make sure the Optical and HDD are on ports 1 & 2 Example (http://www.imagef1.net.nz/files/Capture1258515848.png)

When you first get into the BIOS, does it show both the HDD & Optical drive

Do you have another CD to test it, Eg: XP, Linux etc, just to see if it boots that OK ?

Mister
18-11-2009, 03:47 PM
I'll check the BIOS again and I'll try boot the XP CD.

Mister
18-11-2009, 03:58 PM
Windows XP worked, But 7 did not. So I think I'll return it, and replace it.

Thanks for all your help.

wainuitech
18-11-2009, 04:20 PM
Try giving it a clean first, sometimes they get a film on them and a quick wipe with a soft cloth fixes it. Dont scratch it though.

gary67
19-11-2009, 05:37 AM
Not sure if this is :spam:spam (post 11)

wainuitech
19-11-2009, 07:36 AM
Not sure if this is :spam:spam (post 11) Huh -- What you talking about gary - no sign of spam:confused: