PDA

View Full Version : Book up problems with older Compaq Presairo Desktops

Tony.br
18-11-2009, 11:53 AM
I am retired I am still actively helping people (mainly pensioners these days) with computer problems

However, In the last few weeks I have had 3 Compaq Presairo desktops with the same problem

All are different models, but all have the same case and all a similar age - 4 - 5 years old

SR1400, SR1600 etc

In each case, I have been doing software changes and need to reboot to find the computer hangs at the Initial COMPAQ screen which says ESC for boot menu, F1 for setup, F10 for recovery.

None of the keys work and it won't progress past it

I play around, remove power and let it rest to discharge caps, remove power plugs from MB, remove the CMOS battery etc and sometimes it works then the next it won't. With the current one, twice I removed the 4 pin Auxilary power plug and used a bit of crc and it worked. Rebooted twice then it hung without doing a thing. Removing the same plug to discharge and it didn't work.

Sometimes (but not all) if I am patient, it will progress past that screen by itself but may take 10 to 20 mins

I was working on one and having hells own problems when suddenly it came right and everything worked 100% through numerous reboots

Seem to be a lot in the forums with similar problems but no definitive solution

Does anyone have any thoughts

KarameaDave
18-11-2009, 11:57 AM
Is the BIOS up to date?
What were the software changes?

Tony.br
18-11-2009, 12:30 PM
Thank you for taking the time to respond.

It has been different each time but usually involves removing one Antivirus (AVG) and installing another (AVAST)

The current one here had SP3 installed first but was doing it before. (yes I am aware of the SP3 reboot problem and that was attended to first.)

Once it gets past that screen, everything runs fine. I have run virus scans, malware scans, defragged of course.

Its just it locks solid at that screen and either I wait and hope it will eventually "fall through" or kill the power for 30 mins or so.

Re BIOS. I am very reluctant to do that. I have done it twice before in the past, following the procedures exactly to the letter, and twice finished up with a totally dead MB that had to be replaced.

feersumendjinn
18-11-2009, 06:00 PM
In each case, I have been doing software changes and need to reboot to find the computer hangs at the Initial COMPAQ screen which says ESC for boot menu, F1 for setup, F10 for recovery.

Are you using a USB or a PS/2 keyboard, you might need to turn on legacy usb devices in your BIOS settings (especially seeing as you've removed the CMOS battery) to get the keyboard recognised while booting.

Paul.Cov
20-11-2009, 01:28 PM
I've seen a few bad capacitors inside Compaqs of this age. You may want to open it up and see if any are showing a slight bulge in their silver top (which should be perfectly flat, but often with a line, or lines dividing it). There's usually a row of them very close to the CPU.

pctek
20-11-2009, 03:35 PM
With the current one, twice I removed the 4 pin Auxilary power plug and used a bit of crc and it worked.

Crap MBs.

Tony.br
23-11-2009, 12:27 PM
My apologies for not replying sooner Guys. Been busy as hell last week (and I am supposed to be retired - LOL) Thanks for the comments. Checked the caps visually on one and seemed fine (I had 50 years as an electronics tech so know what to look for.) Those caps are quite cheap and crappy unlike the solid ones used on good quality boards these days. I suspect that if I felt like removing a few and doing an ESR test they would be faulty.

One thing that has helped on the last one at least was to unplug, remove the battery and leave overnight. Next morning reset Bios settings and so far seems OK.

pctek - very interested in your comment. Sound like you have had problems with these MB's