PDA

View Full Version : Outlook Express

B.M.
18-11-2009, 08:56 AM
A while ago I copied my Outlook Express Folders to a Backup Folder and deleted the contents from Outlook Express itself.

As youíd expect I now need one of my Sent Items back. :groan:

Iíve tried Importing but Outlook Express for some reason canít even see my backup folder Iím trying to import from.

Iíve Googled but found everything but what I want. It would seem though that these .dbx files are sods of things to handle.

Any suggestions? :thanks

rumpty
18-11-2009, 09:06 AM
As a first line of attack, you could open sent items.dbx in Wordpad, or similar, and read the emails.

wratterus
18-11-2009, 09:06 AM
What method are you using to access the dbx file? You need to go through OE, import, messages, OE6, import directly from store folder, then browse and click on the folder that the dbx files are stored in. Not actually open the folder. You can then import the sent items dbx file into OE and access it's contents.

I assume you are still using OE?

B.M.
18-11-2009, 09:19 AM
What method are you using to access the dbx file? You need to go through OE, import, messages, OE6, import directly from store folder, then browse and click on the folder that the dbx files are stored in. Not actually open the folder. You can then import the sent items dbx file into OE and access it's contents.

I assume you are still using OE?

Yep, that's what I did and here's what I got.

http://www.imagef1.net.nz/files/OE_Screen_Shot.jpg

The Mail folders were simply copied to the back-up folder and whilst they're there ok I can't get them back for some reason. :rolleyes:

wratterus
18-11-2009, 09:25 AM
Bugger, OK, I have a great dbx extraction program I can email to you if you would like, guarantee that will work.

PM me with your email address if you would like it, it's called dbxtract, all the newer versions you have to pay for, but I've got an older version which is free. :cool:

Edit - I can email that to anyone else if they want it, it's brilliant. I am popping out for an hour or so, PJ has it now I'm sure he can forward it on to you BM if you want it urgently. :thumbs:

B.M.
18-11-2009, 11:45 AM
Bugger, OK, I have a great dbx extraction program I can email to you if you would like, guarantee that will work.

PM me with your email address if you would like it, it's called dbxtract, all the newer versions you have to pay for, but I've got an older version which is free. :cool:

Edit - I can email that to anyone else if they want it, it's brilliant. I am popping out for an hour or so, PJ has it now I'm sure he can forward it on to you BM if you want it urgently. :thumbs:

Many thanks wratterus, PM sent. (I hope) :thumbs:

B.M.
18-11-2009, 01:22 PM
Thanks Wratterus, worked great recovering 3600 E-Mails. :eek:

One small problem, it only gives the Heading and the Message as far as I can see.

There is no Date when it was sent, or who the message was addressed to.

I've tried guessing the subject, without success at the moment, so I'll carry on.

Thanks again Bob

wratterus
23-11-2009, 03:18 PM
Did you drag and drop the email back into a new folder in Outlook Express?

What I generally do is create a folder called recovered email or whatever you like in OE, then open up the folder that you put the recovered emails in, making sure that there are ONLY emails in there, nothing else, otherwise the drag and drop into OE won't work. Ctrl+A to select all, then drag and drop them into that OE folder you just created. If dbxtract managed to recover all the data, you should have dates and subjects. If not, then the .dbx file was probably pretty stuffed and the info gone. :(

B.M.
24-11-2009, 09:36 AM
What I did was extract them all to My Briefcase and I found if I double clicked on any of them Outlook Express opened them no problem.

However there was no associated information like dates or recipients. See Screenshot. http://www.imagef1.net.nz/files/Briefcase_Screenshot.jpg

Unfortunately, I still canít find what Iím looking for, so maybe someone here can help?

Iím looking for what I recall was a power point presentation showing old photos of New York Skyscrapers being built. Now there were at least two of these doing the rounds and I have one. Itís the other one Iím after which has a photo of a guy with a compressor driven ďRattle GunĒ doing up nuts and another of a guy standing over the edge on a plank using a great spanner whilst the plank was counterbalanced by his larger mate on the other side of the beam.

Both presentations start with Charles Ebbets famous photo of ďLunch atop a SkyscraperĒ. See here.

http://www.imagef1.net.nz/files/Lunch_atop_a_Skyscraper.jpg

Both presentations are real eye openers and should be compulsory viewing for all OSH Inspectors. :lol: :lol: