PDA

View Full Version : Windows 7 Login - keep PC secure

Tukapa
17-11-2009, 10:59 PM
Hi all

Am setting up a windows 7 machine (must say I was impressed with the speed of the install).

Should I just use a user password to stop anybody else gaining access to the PC. I don't want teenagers to be able to use this machine at all. This is just for the adults of the house.

It is my first foray into Win 7.

Are there any better options than the Windows login password to keep anyone from being able to use this PC when adults aren't around to keep their eyes on it?

The teenagers have their own PCs which are always being filled with viruses and crapware and becoming very slow and then they try to use the adults PC and end up screwing that too!!

So - I don't want them to be able to do anything with this new PC and they can suffer as their machines become more and more unusable.

Any hints or suggestions welcomed!!

Thanks.

Speedy Gonzales
17-11-2009, 11:06 PM
Just put a password in,at the login screen. What else can you do, besides that?

Renmoo
17-11-2009, 11:23 PM
The teenagers have their own PCs which are always being filled with viruses and crapware and becoming very slow and then they try to use the adults PC and end up screwing that too
Root cause analysis:
Issues:
Infiltration of malware into teenagers' accounts

Causes:
- Poor security know-how amongst the teenagers
- Lack of sufficient security barrier
- Engagement in dangerous Internet activities such as clicking on every single spam links automatically generated via MSN Messenger

Resolutions:
- Education on how to use security software
- Ensure security software are up-to-date (e.g. set automatic update, set scheduled scanning)
- Internet safety education

But yeah, follow what Speedy suggested if you want a quick fix. Consider the above advice to fix the root problems.

Cheers :)

feersumendjinn
18-11-2009, 12:18 AM
You can also require a log-in password when waking from hibernation or screensaver.

pctek
18-11-2009, 07:27 AM
Causes:

My experience with these creatures are they do know - or do get told eventually but don't care.
I educated next doors young guy and removed dodgy stuff he'd installed, with explanations on why - and what did he do? Install it all back. Result - PC self destructed yet again.

KarameaDave
18-11-2009, 09:10 AM
Teenagers are the last people you should let near Any PC!
I suggest duct tape
(just wrap it around the teenager and leave them in a corner)

utopian201
18-11-2009, 09:48 AM
Also set the default user account to a limited/restricted one. The windows system will never be harmed by any malware and will be as fundamentally secure as linux/osx

Tukapa
18-11-2009, 10:35 AM
Thanks for your replies.

Will go down the password route then.

Root cause analysis:
Issues:
Infiltration of malware into teenagers' accounts

Causes:
- Lack of sufficient security barrier
- Engagement in dangerous Internet activities such as clicking on every single spam links automatically generated via MSN Messenger

Resolutions:
- Education on how to use security software
- Ensure security software are up-to-date (e.g. set automatic update, set scheduled scanning)
- Internet safety education

But yeah, follow what Speedy suggested if you want a quick fix. Consider the above advice to fix the root problems.

Cheers :)

They are not my kids. It is a friends PC and their kids know more about PC's than them and regardless they still install software they shouldn't, bring viruses over on flash drives etc etc. As PCTek said - they know better but don't care.

xyz823
18-11-2009, 12:44 PM
They are not my kids. It is a friends PC and their kids know more about PC's than them and regardless they still install software they shouldn't, bring viruses over on flash drives etc etc. As PCTek said - they know better but don't care.

Well don't let them bring stuff over.

linw
19-11-2009, 09:09 AM
And they wonder why there is a move to increase the driver age!!

nmercer
19-11-2009, 04:13 PM
Thanks for your replies.

Will go down the password route then.

put a password on your own account, and create another user account for the Teenagers - be sure to make their account a Standard User not an Administrator user!