PDA

View Full Version : Mysterious "crash" on Win7

Lizard
17-11-2009, 07:53 PM
I built my new computer a couple of weeks ago, and have been having fun setting things up and seeing how fast it can go. Haven't overclocked yet, but it seems like it will take pretty much anything I can throw at it. However...

I've noticed it seems to crash every once and a while. I say "seems to crash" because everything seems pretty normal, it's just the mouse and keyboard stop responding. The first few times the screen display didn't change, but the mouse (Logitech MX Revolution) wouldn't respond, and the keyboard (Logitech G15) lights would go out and wouldn't react. The keyboard is USB, and the mouse is wireless on a USB receiver. It seemed to happen when the computer wasn't used for a while, and I would only notice it when I came back to it after a few hours away. The only way to get things going again is to reboot. At which point the POST would take forever, and seems like it gets stuck initialising the USB controller. I noticed on the mobo a diagnostic LED stays on indicating a problem with one of the boot devices (a USB hub), but the only thing connected to that port is a USB external HDD (just storage, not a boot drive). If I disconnect that drive and reset, it boots quickly, like normal, and everything is fine.

I wondered if the problem was the computer going to sleep, and having difficulty waking up from USB input, so I set all the power settings to keep everything on, and never go to sleep. I then set it to download a large file while I was at work today. When I got home, the computer screen was black, but the computer was still on, and the keyboard/mouse were frozen. I reset (and then had to disconnect the external HDD and reset again), and the file downloaded okay, but at some point during the day it had frozen.

I've installed the latest Win7 64bit drivers for the mouse and keyboard, and the printer which is also USB connected. Everything else is brand new and installed with drivers supplied, except the external HDD, which I didn't think needed any drivers.

Has anyone come up against this problem, and worked out the solution?

wainuitech
17-11-2009, 08:04 PM
Regarding the USB external drive, go into the BIOS and make sure its not in the boot menu, W7 is trying to see if it can boot from it, hence the delay when plugged in.

Under the Power Options ,click start, type in Power - look for power options, open it, select the " change Power Plan " on the right for the plan you are using - adjust the setting to disable sleep after a set time - see if that fixes the disconnection of the keyboard / mouse.

Lizard
17-11-2009, 08:38 PM
Thanks - I'll check the BIOS re: the slow boot times.

Re: the power settings, I've already disabled everything that might cause it to go into sleep, and it still freezes. I don't know how long it takes to "freeze", because it always happens when I'm away from the computer. I just came back after about 30 mins and it was fine, but it tends to do it after "hours".

Speedy Gonzales
17-11-2009, 08:47 PM
What BIOS is on it? Since it looks like the latest BIOS (0915) fixes:

1. Improve memory compatibility
2. Improve compatibility with some USB device
3. Improve Auto Tuning performance

This is if the mobo is the P7P55D PRO

wainuitech
17-11-2009, 09:11 PM
Could be a BIOS problem - just thinking, I have a P7P55D LE that locked up a couple of times out of the blue on a New build a few weeks back - didn't have time to sort it out, so I replaced the board with another model and all was well.

Might have to check its BIOS as well, the boards still in the Box.

powerover
17-11-2009, 09:15 PM
I had the same problem here win7...but the only difference is that it seems to be able to snap out of it (after about 5 to 10 seconds). I have both logitech keyboard and mouse as well.

it seems to me that if the screen has no movement for a while this "freezing" problem can come up (not always tho). and the only way i found to combat this problem is before you go away, start an application that will trigger motion on your screen (screen savers, download something, or even just put on a webpage will a flash ads, anything that moves on your screen)...

Speedy Gonzales
17-11-2009, 09:21 PM
If its got a Nvidia EHCI chipset, it may have been this (http://support.microsoft.com/kb/976972). But I dont think yours uses a Nvidia chipset for the USB. According to the ASUS forum, it can take a while booting, depending on how much ram is installed. You mention a hub, (its not plugged into the port itself then)?? If its not in a USB port on the case itself, plug it into one. Is the external hdd powered?

pctek
18-11-2009, 07:32 AM
the only thing connected to that port is a USB external HDD (just storage, not a boot drive). If I disconnect that drive and reset, it boots quickly, like normal, and everything is fine.

Why? You shouldn't leave an external drive connected all the time. I had a friend who did this - she had MOVED her personal data to it (not duplicated), and it got a problem and Windows "fixed" it.
Result, the entire thing was corrupted and she had to spend ages trying retrieval software. Lucky she got most of it back but she lost some.

The whole point of a backup device, is to COPY your stuff onto it then disconnect it.
If say there was a large power surge, it would fry it being left plugged in.

And if you have your personals in 2 places, chances of having a disaster with both hard drives at once are slim. One drive - drives do die you know, even without power surges and MS screwups.

As for it causing a problem, how have you backed up to it? I'd be looking at whats on it, and the health of the file structure etc first.

linw
19-11-2009, 09:31 AM
I don't usually leave a USB drive attached but I have had boot problems if I forget and leave the ext HDD on. Never bothered to find out why as it is not my usual procedure.

Inability of kbd/mouse to wake a machine can be caused by not jumpering the mobo USB ports correctly. My P5Q has jumpers that default to no current to USB ports in sleep mode. If the jumper is changed, a trickle current is supplied which allows the peripheral to wake the computer. With no lights on the kbd, sounds like yours is in the 'dead' mode.

I can't see where you actually said what your mobo was. Did I miss it?

Speedy Gonzales
19-11-2009, 09:42 AM
I can't see where you actually said what your mobo was. Did I miss it?

Might be the one in his sig

hueybot3000
19-11-2009, 04:22 PM
I have the same chipset i think in my mobo, it has slow boot times to, must get around to looking for later bios. Ive only had it bluescreen randomly once when it was idling but im ocd to 4ghz and i think it happened after tightenin my ram timings

Try a later bios

Lizard
19-11-2009, 08:17 PM
What BIOS is on it? Since it looks like the latest BIOS (0915) fixes:

1. Improve memory compatibility
2. Improve compatibility with some USB device
3. Improve Auto Tuning performance

This is if the mobo is the P7P55D PRO

Thanks Speedy. Updated the BIOS to 0915, and that did the trick.

Speedy Gonzales
19-11-2009, 08:52 PM
Sweet good to hear that fixed it :)