PDA

View Full Version : Web domain names

PeterMill
17-11-2009, 05:29 PM
Hi

Real dummies question. I'm trying to register a .com web site using my name petermillett. (I have mostly overseas customers).

For some bizarre reason a Japanese HR firm in Tokyo has already registered this name. I would imagine that they are blanket covering people’s names.

Is there anything I can do about this or is it a case of simply bad luck?

Cheers

Peter

robbyp
17-11-2009, 05:33 PM
Hi

Real dummies question. I'm trying to register a .com web site using my name petermillett. (I have mostly overseas customers).

For some bizarre reason a Japanese HR firm in Tokyo has already registered this name. I would imagine that they are blanket covering people’s names.

Is there anything I can do about this or is it a case of simply bad luck?

Cheers

Peter

They probably picked it up when it expired, as you can trade in domain names. I would recommend asking any domain questions to the domain registrar you are registering it through, as it will show how good they are, and they might be able to offer suggestions. You maybe able to pick it up when it next expires. You can still get the co.nz one, which I would recommend securing if you don't want someone else to get it. Type whois nz into google, and you can find out what domains are still avaliable.

hueybot3000
17-11-2009, 05:43 PM
Most likely a company hoping to make money out of the resale of a domain, as robby said ask the registrar, they should be able to get in contact with whoever owns the domain.

Have you registered that domain before?

PeterMill
17-11-2009, 06:24 PM
Hi thanks for your ideas. Very helpful.

This is my first foray into the web so I have never registered a domain before. It is kind of strange how the name is in use as it is just a simple first name/last name and not a brand or product etc.

I'll definitely approach my web hosting company about it.

Cheers

Morgenmuffel
17-11-2009, 07:18 PM
Hi thanks for your ideas. Very helpful.

This is my first foray into the web so I have never registered a domain before. It is kind of strange how the name is in use as it is just a simple first name/last name and not a brand or product etc.

I'll definitely approach my web hosting company about it.

Cheers

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Peter_Millett,_Baron_Millett

Any famous persons name or a name that is in the news a lot will be grabbed where possible, there is nought you can do about it as they didn't register the name to take business from you or to copy your business

Ps you're not this Peter Millet (http://whekenui.wcl.govt.nz/cgi-bin/cw_cgi?fullRecord+23772+2540+748079+1+0)

Renmoo
17-11-2009, 07:57 PM
Considered pitermill.net?

PeterMill
17-11-2009, 08:51 PM
Thanks again everyone.

I'll move on from this issue and create a new web title.

Cheers very much.

Great board to post on...

:)