PDA

View Full Version : Not booting

teras23
17-11-2009, 09:20 AM
My Pc is not turning on

when i try to turn it on it will have a black screen that lets you to open the pc in safe mode and two other safe modes and normaly but when i chouse one of thouse the the pc restars and has a blue screen that is only on the screen for 5 seconds and the it restarts and it has the black screen againd and repeats

PLEASE HELP!!!!!!!

nofam
17-11-2009, 09:56 AM
Hi Teras23 - welcome to PressF1!

What Operating System are you using?

pctek
17-11-2009, 10:03 AM
pc restars and has a blue screen

In the menu is the choice for it to NOT restart. Choose it and then tell us what STOP error it gives you.

teras23
18-11-2009, 09:12 AM
In the menu is the choice for it to NOT restart. Choose it and then tell us what STOP error it gives you.

it is like a blue screen

can you put a picture here in F1
and it is a IMB laptop

teras23
18-11-2009, 09:44 AM
now i have a new laptop but i want to get that one fixed

Agent_24
18-11-2009, 08:07 PM
If you can take a photo, that would be good. Don't upload it here though (you can but it will be too small to be useful)

instead, upload it to imagef1.net.nz and then post the link on here

teras23
19-11-2009, 09:02 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_TCyuei0VYU

here is a link i clould not but it anywhere else look and you see the blue screen

Agent_24
19-11-2009, 09:58 AM
Awesome, so for everyone else, the error is:

STOP: 0x0000007E (0xC0000005, 0xF89C6E3C, 0xF8B58728, 0xF8B58424)

sfsync02.sys

Teras23: does the BSOD always reference the file sfsync02.sys and is the stop code always the same?

sfsync02.sys is part of the Starforce protection system (copy protection for games)

Speedy Gonzales
19-11-2009, 10:01 AM
Thats whats crashing it sfsync02.sys - Starforce (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Starforce). Whatever needs / uses it, uninstall it. This is probably running on startup, and it has to run on startup. You may have to remove the program and this entry to fix it. There's a link on the bottom of that Wikipedia site, for a removal tool

Agent_24
19-11-2009, 10:06 AM
I have starforce installed on my PC for several games, and it hasn't given me any trouble.

Possibly a file or registry key is corrupt in this case, causing problems.

I would go here: http://www.star-force.com/support/drivers/

Uninstall starforce with the removal tool, and then reinstall it using the update tool.

Of course this assumes you can actually boot the thing. Can you get into it in safe mode at all?

teras23
19-11-2009, 11:58 AM
I have starforce installed on my PC for several games, and it hasn't given me any trouble.

Possibly a file or registry key is corrupt in this case, causing problems.

I would go here: http://www.star-force.com/support/drivers/

Uninstall starforce with the removal tool, and then reinstall it using the update tool.

Of course this assumes you can actually boot the thing. Can you get into it in safe mode at all?

do i have to install the programm on that computer or not because i can not get it on

Agent_24
19-11-2009, 12:45 PM
Well that depends, first - are you getting the exact same stop code and sfsync02.sys listed?

If yes, then most likely it is starforce's fault and you will need to fix it.

if you are getting random errors each time, it's probably something else.

Can you boot your windows at all, in safe mode or otherwise?

teras23
20-11-2009, 10:01 AM
Well that depends, first - are you getting the exact same stop code and sfsync02.sys listed?

If yes, then most likely it is starforce's fault and you will need to fix it.

if you are getting random errors each time, it's probably something else.

Can you boot your windows at all, in safe mode or otherwise?

it is the same thing each time but i did not have that programm installed

Agent_24
20-11-2009, 10:40 AM
Starforce gets installed when you install some PC games. Trackmania is one of them but there are many others.

They often don't even tell you they are installing it, which is one reason why some people don't like it.

Speedy Gonzales
20-11-2009, 11:38 AM
Starforce isnt installed with a later of version of trackamania tho. According to some sites. If it is installed, the latest version removes it

Agent_24
20-11-2009, 12:59 PM
Starforce isnt installed with a later of version of trackamania tho. According to some sites. If it is installed, the latest version removes it

That is correct but we have no idea what version he might have, or even if he has that game.

But if he has starforce drivers, then he must have installed some game which uses it.

But either way, I think the solution here will be to load recovery console from the Windows CD or a live linux CD and rename the driver files so windows can't load them. Then this should stop them causing a BSOD, and allow for proper removal once windows can boot again

teras23
27-11-2009, 05:10 AM
That is correct but we have no idea what version he might have, or even if he has that game.

But if he has starforce drivers, then he must have installed some game which uses it.

But either way, I think the solution here will be to load recovery console from the Windows CD or a live linux CD and rename the driver files so windows can't load them. Then this should stop them causing a BSOD, and allow for proper removal once windows can boot again

i had trackmania but how to get that programm out of the computer?

Agent_24
27-11-2009, 12:41 PM
If you rename the driver files, windows can't load them. So it may at least allow you to boot windows and do a proper removal.

But since you can't boot that windows, you will have to use a different method.

Either 1) take the hard drive out and connect it to another computer, and rename that way
2) boot a live linux CD or the windows recovery console from a windows CD and rename them that way

1 will be hard because it's a laptop and you probably don't have any adaptor to connect a laptop drive to another PC, internal or external.

2 should be a bit easier. Do you have a Windows CD or any Linux CD (like Ubuntu)?

teras23
01-12-2009, 11:34 AM
If you rename the driver files, windows can't load them. So it may at least allow you to boot windows and do a proper removal.

But since you can't boot that windows, you will have to use a different method.

Either 1) take the hard drive out and connect it to another computer, and rename that way
2) boot a live linux CD or the windows recovery console from a windows CD and rename them that way

1 will be hard because it's a laptop and you probably don't have any adaptor to connect a laptop drive to another PC, internal or external.

2 should be a bit easier. Do you have a Windows CD or any Linux CD (like Ubuntu)?

where can i get the CDs if i do not have them

(can i download it on my computer and burn it on a CD?)

Agent_24
01-12-2009, 11:51 AM
If you do not have a windows CD then you can not download it - legally.

But Linux is free and that would be easy to do, ubuntu should be fine, you can get it here: http://www.ubuntu.com/getubuntu/download (and you will get GUI instead of just command line from XP recovery console anyway)

So once you burn and boot that on the laptop, you will be able to open the hard drive and have a look at the contents.

Go to \Windows\System32\ and find that file "sfsync02.sys" (note the hard drive won't be called C: as Linux names things differently but it will be the only hard drive listed in the Computer folder anyway)

Rename it to something like sfsync02.BAD and then reboot the computer. Hopefully, your XP will then skip loading of it (as it won't be able to find it) and then be able to boot without BSOD.

teras23
02-12-2009, 12:43 PM
If you do not have a windows CD then you can not download it - legally.

But Linux is free and that would be easy to do, ubuntu should be fine, you can get it here: http://www.ubuntu.com/getubuntu/download (and you will get GUI instead of just command line from XP recovery console anyway)

So once you burn and boot that on the laptop, you will be able to open the hard drive and have a look at the contents.

Go to \Windows\System32\ and find that file "sfsync02.sys" (note the hard drive won't be called C: as Linux names things differently but it will be the only hard drive listed in the Computer folder anyway)

Rename it to something like sfsync02.BAD and then reboot the computer. Hopefully, your XP will then skip loading of it (as it won't be able to find it) and then be able to boot without BSOD.

but how can i open the hard drive when i only get two screens blue, and back

Speedy Gonzales
02-12-2009, 12:46 PM
Well connect it to a working system then rename that file

Agent_24
02-12-2009, 02:41 PM
but how can i open the hard drive when i only get two screens blue, and back

Well that's why you need to download, burn, and boot from the Linux CD.

Before windows starts loading (and fails) there is what is called the POST (power on self test)

This will be just after you turn the laptop on - you may see an IBM logo or something (or nothing). During this time you will be able to select a different boot device, eg: the CD drive

All you need to do is burn the CD and put it in the drive, and restart the laptop.

If it doesn't boot from the CD automatically, you will probably have to press some key combination to make it do that. On mine it's F12.

So just after you turn the laptop on, start pressing F12 and it should give you an option to boot from the CD or Hard drive, at that point you would choose CD.

If you can tell us what your laptop model is, we can find out what you would need to press...