PDA

View Full Version : Deactivate Vista?

Bryan
17-11-2009, 09:17 AM
Ok. I've installed W7 and have all I need from Vista copied across. Vista has been removed from my system for over two weeks and I have had no problems.

If I was to pass on my copy of Vista to my grandson, is there anything that I must do to allow my copy of Vista to be installed on my grandson's PC?

Will the Product Key still work or should I be able to deactivate the Vista install on my PC with Microsoft to allow an easy install on another PC using the same key?

Speedy Gonzales
17-11-2009, 09:41 AM
You'll probably have wait for at least 3 mths for it to go off MS's server

pctek
17-11-2009, 10:05 AM
If I was to pass on my copy of Vista to my grandson, is there anything that I must do to allow my copy of Vista to be installed on my grandson's PC?

Is it OEM or Retail? Because with OEM technically you aren't allowed to.
In practice you can just do it, when he goes to activate it, either it will no problem or it will come up that it's been used before and you get an actual person asking you why - you tell them you've had to reinstall it. Simple.

Jayess64
17-11-2009, 10:07 AM
You'll probably have wait for at least 3 mths for it to go off MS's server

That's very likely correct, but Bryan asked a good question. The possibility of voluntary de-activation to allow shifting to a different system would make the activation rigmarole slightly more palatable.

Twelvevolts
17-11-2009, 08:03 PM
That's very likely correct, but Bryan asked a good question. The possibility of voluntary de-activation to allow shifting to a different system would make the activation rigmarole slightly more palatable.

I'm going to be doing that in the weekend and in the past I've had no problem as long as it wasn't installed on two different PC's in rapid succession. If it was on there for a year say, I've just transferred it in the past. At worst it is a call to Microsoft and a confirmation over the phone that you're not trying to install it on two PC's, then you're good to go.

mzee
19-11-2009, 08:29 PM
I have always found that it is possible to reactivate windows after 4 months. If it won't, just tell them that you had to replace the hard drive and lost the lot.