PDA

View Full Version : Windows 7 And Xp

Mister
16-11-2009, 09:58 PM
Hey all, I currently have Windows XP home 32 Bit installed. I have 4gig DDR3 although something like 3.2Gig is being used because of 32 bit.

I've been thinking about purchasing Windows 7 64 Bit..

Just a few questions..

Would I be able to upgrade XP to 7? Or will I have to do a fresh Reinstall?

Would 7 be faster than XP? Because I havn't read much about Windows 7, and don't exactly trust it.

Thanks in advance

Chilling_Silence
16-11-2009, 10:02 PM
No you cannot "upgrade" from XP, though you can use the Upgrade edition as far as I'm aware. Treat it as a fresh re-install.

7 is heaps great, just see the rantings and ravings around the forums here. Speed is much better than Vista for sure, and newer games seem to perform better (In my experience at least, I don't have hard figures to back it up) in Win7 than XP

linw
17-11-2009, 08:48 AM
You can use an 'Upgrade' version but a fresh install is needed. A fresh install is a good cleanout experience - I have done it twice lately (RC Win7 and release win7) and it really isn't all that bad an experience (as long as you can find the software registration keys!).

Just do it and set your machine up for several years to come. Win 7 (mine is 64 bit) is great and I have had virtually no problems with drivers or progs that won't run. Mind you, to be fair, I had been through the upgrade to Vista so the incompatibilities were encountered almost three years ago. Good idea to run a win7 compatibility test program first to get a handle on it.

Going from XP you will find things you need to get used to but approach it with a positive frame of mind and you will soon be a happy (I hope!) win 7 user.

Good luck and let us know how you get on.

Jayess64
17-11-2009, 10:25 AM
As the other posters have said, you can upgrade from XP to Win7, but there still seems to be some confusion surrounding the matter. One retailer refused to sell me the Upgrade box because "you cannot upgrade from XP to Windows 7".

This is baloney, on the box it says "All editions of Windows XP and Windows Vista qualify you to upgrade." The question is not, "can you do it?", but "how to do it?" To upgrade from XP you must do a clean install - this option is offered to you when you run the Win7 DVD. That means you will have to re-install all your applications, small price to pay for a better operating system.

One thing - hold your breath when you activate Win7. There have been instances of difficulties getting the activation to work. I encountered this myself, but found the solution on this forum. Come back if you need help.

JJJJJ
17-11-2009, 10:37 AM
Slightly off topic, but it can help anyone running the release candidate.

http://aussiex.org/forum/index.php?showtopic=4190

Mister
17-11-2009, 11:59 AM
I think I'll just do a clean install. Make things easier and clean my computer out.

Mister
17-11-2009, 12:44 PM
another question.. If I put all my big things, mainly games on an external hard drive. And steam games, would I be able to take them over after the Fresh install and keep playing without installing them again. Or re download the Steam downloads?

Sweep
17-11-2009, 12:50 PM
another question.. If I put all my big things, mainly games on an external hard drive. And steam games, would I be able to take them over after the Fresh install and keep playing without installing them again. Or re download the Steam downloads?

A clean install would require you to reinstall all applications. There are some games that would run but most require registry entries.

Battleneter2
17-11-2009, 01:05 PM
Win 7 generally benchmarks a "little" faster than XP but there is not much in it
and depends what your doing.
http://www.maximumpc.com/article/reviews/windows_7_review?page=0%2C3

Really depends how you rate speed, for me its the "Feel" and the responsiveness of the OS which is where Vista performed abysmally esp with basic OS functions like Networking.

Win7 on the other hand feels snappy and does not screw around half as much when trying to do something simple like transferring a large file over the network as its Network and Disk IO priority subsystem is largely re-coded. It kinda looks like Vista and feels like XP is the best way I can describe it, so if you have the cash and want a change go for it.

SamFields
19-11-2009, 03:15 AM
I've upgraded my XP laptop to 7, and the performance is pretty much the same - which is actually great, since 7 has way more features (and eye candy...).

Regarding the clean install thing - you could try Zinstall XP7 (http://www.zinstall.com). It moves all your apps (and everything else) to Win7, so you can avoid the reinstall bit.

I personally did not use it, but my friend done it and told me about it.

SolMiester
19-11-2009, 08:40 AM
Steam games will re-install themselves when you initiate the game.