PDA

View Full Version : MS Access Uses at Home

learning
16-11-2009, 12:16 PM
I have MS Access 2007 installed but it has been rarely used.

The most i have used is in business environment. I am planning on doing something useful with it on my home PC

Has anyone used it for home use - any home setting scenarios where it really is handy and makes life easier ?

thanks

Sweep
16-11-2009, 12:27 PM
Contact List

Parry
16-11-2009, 01:03 PM
DVD Library, Music Library, Golf db ...

nofam
16-11-2009, 02:21 PM
In all honesty learning, you'd be much better off getting an old P4 PC, and running it as a LAMP server (Linux, Apache, MySQL, PHP). There's some great synergies in this setup in terms of how well they work together, and creating a web-based database will be much nicer to develop and use than a nasty old Access DB.

And I say this as someone who uses Access every day at work! :punk

Databases are great for any kind of list that you need to interrogate regularly; shopping and Xmas lists spring to mind.

razzarphenix
16-11-2009, 03:04 PM
+1 on the *AMP idea I recommend Server2Go (http://www.server2go-web.de/) that will allow you to run apache/php/mysql on windows.

Access sucks compared to a proper database.

Digby
16-11-2009, 05:52 PM
I have about 60 access databases, mostly home use.
Including one data base which tracks all of my other databases.
Phone list, songs, movies, videos, tv series, geograhical data, historical data (my hobby), my expenses, jokes list, forum and software rego codes and passwords.

learning
19-11-2009, 05:41 PM
thanks everyone

I am just wanting to do something useful seeing that Access comes with Office but is rarely used. I could do a web based database but at this stage i just want something simple ready to go kinda thing

But yeah contacts is useful especially since multiple Outlook profiles create multiple contacts folder to track. I could create one single database and just have it shared amongst other users in household. DVD and Software Rego codes is useful too

cheers

learning
22-11-2009, 12:16 PM
Just a quick Q. This is actually not for home.

I want to create a database with single table with 3 fields
firstname, Lastname and location of person
i.e cubicle number

I want to create a search funtion by way of a form
where someone can type a persons first or last name and hits on a "search button"
it will display person's location in a text field on the same form from where you can just copy the cubicle number and use it for other purposes e.g copy cubicle number
and paste it in Word etc.

Is this possible or easily done in MS Access or is there coding required?

Thanks for any tips

zcc
23-11-2009, 09:45 AM
Just a quick Q. This is actually not for home.

I want to create a database with single table with 3 fields
firstname, Lastname and location of person
i.e cubicle number

I want to create a search funtion by way of a form
where someone can type a persons first or last name and hits on a "search button"
it will display person's location in a text field on the same form from where you can just copy the cubicle number and use it for other purposes e.g copy cubicle number
and paste it in Word etc.

Is this possible or easily done in MS Access or is there coding required?

Thanks for any tips

I think you need to jump str8 in and have a go.
Access has a lot of wizards that will do 90% of the work for you.
I use access to build sql queries that I then use on mssql servers with a little adjustment as I have no other development tools available (& I like shortcuts).