PDA

View Full Version : Freezing windows xp

taly
16-11-2009, 11:22 AM
My Pc with Athlon 1.2GHz, Mobo AOpen, 2 Gbyte Ram win XP home started to freez first at explorer browser, then at startup.

Any suggestions?
Thanks

Battleneter2
16-11-2009, 12:13 PM
First things first, I assume your running Anti Virus and have scanned? Also a Spyware scanner?

baabits
16-11-2009, 03:36 PM
Start fresh. Reformat and Reinstall

As much of a hassel as it is, you will notice a huge speed increase, not to mention cleaning out crap.

otherwise, post a HiJackThis Log

taly
16-11-2009, 04:19 PM
Scanned with McAfee and all clean.
Tried system restore, but it froze about in the middle of the restore process

Speedy Gonzales
16-11-2009, 04:21 PM
Boot into safe mode / networking then post a HJT log, and scan it with trojan remover and malwarebytes

feersumendjinn
16-11-2009, 06:35 PM
Then do a Memtest. (http://www.memtest86.com/)

Agent_24
16-11-2009, 07:39 PM
A PC that old, I wouldn't rule out a hardware issue, but McAfee isn't great either.

taly
17-11-2009, 11:08 AM
Hi guys!
Cleared CIMOS using JP14 jumper on the mobo and it works. Almost, but McAfee stopped working, despite being installed and PC is connected to the internet . I have another pc sitting on the same modem and using it at the moment.
Can it be Telecom problem, temporary?

Thanks

Speedy Gonzales
17-11-2009, 11:40 AM
Get rid of Mcafee, and install something better

Battleneter2
17-11-2009, 01:40 PM
Hi guys!
Cleared CIMOS using JP14 jumper on the mobo and it works. Almost, but McAfee stopped working, despite being installed and PC is connected to the internet . I have another pc sitting on the same modem and using it at the moment.
Can it be Telecom problem, temporary?

Thanks

Please try running a full scandisk of your C: drive for possible bad sectors or at least a Chkdsk at a command prompt.

These types of threads are largely stabbing in the dark, but your symptoms fit possible bad sectors or Ram issues. You can test ram issues with Memtest86++ or similar. I am leaning hardware over software(or virus) from what you have said so far.

wainuitech
17-11-2009, 02:04 PM
McAfee stopped working, despite being installed and PC is connected to the internet . I have another pc sitting on the same modem and using it at the moment. its mcAfee more than likely causing the problem - its utter rubbish. As Speedy said, remove mcAfee and I'm almost positive you will have the internet going.

taly
17-11-2009, 02:10 PM
Uninstalled McFee and replaced it with AVG free. All is fine for now. You think I still should do Chkdsk and Memtest?

linw
17-11-2009, 02:12 PM
Uninstalled McFee and replaced it with AVG free. All is fine for now. You think I still should do Chkdsk and Memtest?

Yes. What's to lose?

taly
17-11-2009, 02:53 PM
OK, did the CHKDSK and found some file problems, but it was done without specifying F parameter. then the system suggested to do CHKDSK with F<fix>. Tried to do that it did not accept the command. At prompt typed >CHKDSK/F<fix>, but it was no good.
Can you suggest how?
Thnks

wratterus
17-11-2009, 02:56 PM
Run the following...

chkdsk /r

Make sure you put the space between the k and the /

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/315265

Also Avast Home or Microsoft Security Essentials is a much better choice for antivirus software than AVG.

taly
17-11-2009, 03:09 PM
Done that, but it now said that "con't lock current drive because the volume is occupied by another process and will do it at next restart". Restarted again, but was the same

wainuitech
17-11-2009, 03:37 PM
Go into My Computer, right click the drive / Properties / Tools Tab / Check now, put ticks in both boxes, click start, you should get a message saying it cant run, and do you want to run on next start, agree, then reboot the PC, chkdsk should run.

Re the Antivirus, I'd get Microsoft Security, Avast is missing lots, I have two PC's here in the workshop, riddled with infections - both have avast.

linw
17-11-2009, 03:53 PM
That's interesting, WT. Mounting evidence seems to suggest that we should get a bit more proactive in switching clients to MSE do you think? I've switched a few I have had contact with but not done a 'recall', as it were.

But I suppose if they haven't been infected for years, there is no great panic!

wratterus
17-11-2009, 04:03 PM
TBH I've found MSSE to be very hit and miss with XP. It's fine with Vista and 7 so far. Seems to have some pretty serious CPU usage issues, works well otherwise. Only on some XP installs though, others are fine. Anyone else found this? I've had 5 or 6 machines that MSSE just sit between 50% and 100% CPU usage the whole time, for no apparent reason.

Agent_24
17-11-2009, 04:49 PM
I have not used Microsoft Security Essentials, and I don't want to. Comodo for me :D

wainuitech
17-11-2009, 04:59 PM
Regarding MS Security - never had a problem with Vista or W7, XP - have put it on around a dozen PC's no ones complained so far.

But the CPU usage on W7 is 0 when the PC is idle doing nothing. As shown Here (http://www.imagef1.net.nz/files/Capture1258429959.png).

Just cloned one of the XP drives that had avast, that I mentioned before, removed the software, installed MS Security as a test (it will have Nod32 on later - just doing another comparison) and MS Security went nuts with warnings.

taly
18-11-2009, 10:36 AM
Hi WT!
Did CHK and at the end it closed itself. Assume that it fixed the problem.
By the way, have a feeling that my problems started when Java updates were being installed. Was using Open office and understand that it brought in Java. Now I have MS office pro, so I don't need Open office. Thinking of removing Open office and Java.
What would you think?
Thanks.

wainuitech
18-11-2009, 12:17 PM
open office and MS Office work OK together on the same PC.

If its a java problem, uninstall all java, and download the latest version Download Page (http://www.java.com/en/download/index.jsp)

taly
18-11-2009, 08:36 PM
Thanks, will do that.