PDA

View Full Version : Future career in software development, which institute is the best?

Netsukeninja
16-11-2009, 09:44 AM
I've just finished high school (except for exams), and I'm am headed in the direction of a career in software development. I was initially going to go to Massey to take their Computer Science course, but I just read an article on "blue collar" coders, the ones who didn't go to university but went to a technical institute, so now I'm considering going to a technical institute instead of a university. Where should I go? (specifically)

I'm sure there's bound to be plenty of software developers on this board who could help me out. :lol:

Thanks

nofam
16-11-2009, 09:50 AM
Send a PM to Demonhunter (or he may see this thread) - he's a recent graduate who's now doing dev work.

What area of programming do you see yourself in? i.e. Web-based apps?

Netsukeninja
16-11-2009, 09:59 AM
I would really like to get into operating system development (eek) or game development.

pctek
16-11-2009, 10:17 AM
I just read an article on "blue collar" coders, the ones who didn't go to university but went to a technical institute, . Where should I go? (specifically)

I think Uni is more programming orientated.
However a friend of mine went to Polytech, first in Auckland (unitec) then in Hamilton for her last year.

She was head hunted by Datacom and did DB development.

I think you need to look at what papers they all offer and select according to what area of programming you want to do.

Cato
16-11-2009, 10:18 AM
I would really like to get into operating system development (eek) or game development.

3d or physics mean a lot of math and theory. More so with operating systems. And I'd be more than inclined to say that the pay there would be lower than say coding commercial CMS or something similar.

Netsukeninja
16-11-2009, 11:41 AM
Do you think this would cover me adequately?

Diploma in Software Engineering (Level 6) -> http://weltec.ac.nz/SUBJECTAREAS/InformationTechnology/Programmes/DiplomainSoftwareEngineering/tabid/333/Default.aspx

Course Outline/Structure -> http://weltec.ac.nz/Portals/0/pdfs/CourseStructureOutlineSoftEng.pdf

lagbort
16-11-2009, 12:11 PM
I'm currently doing the DipSE at weltec, as far as I know the course ie being bundled into the Bachelor of IT as of next year.

First year is very much theory with only 1 programming paper out of 8, 2nd year however you can do up to i believe 4 programming papers out of your 8.

So far i am really enjoying it and I know that here are many opportunities for industry placement, one of my classmates is already doing it this year, I would have applied but I didn't know they were taking applications from first years...

Cato
16-11-2009, 01:33 PM
Programming itself [syntax] is pretty damn easy. A monkey could do it. The theory behind it is a different ballgame.

pctek
16-11-2009, 01:58 PM
Programming itself [syntax] is pretty damn easy. A monkey could do it.

You think? I know myself that there is a caertain amount of art to it. I for instance, program spaghetti.
My talented friend does neat, small, amazing code.

Massive difference.

hueybot3000
16-11-2009, 04:28 PM
sytax is everything, cluttered code loads the computer/server more than necessary and noone wants that. Anything coded badly (but has the core commands needed) will work but in most cases efficiencity (spelling?) is a big part.

There are already too many crappy coders, Im only familiar with web coding but things like windows vista are the result of unefficient coding. It works well but isnt very well optimized

nofam
16-11-2009, 04:54 PM
sytax is everything, cluttered code loads the computer/server more than necessary and noone wants that. Anything coded badly (but has the core commands needed) will work but in most cases efficiencity (spelling?) is a big part.

There are already too many crappy coders, Im only familiar with web coding but things like windows vista are the result of unefficient coding. It works well but isn't very well optimized

Being unnecessarily verbose when coding/scripting is no different to using too many words when talking to someone; you'll be understood just the same, but it will take x-times longer than it needs to.

I read a while ago that a downside of all the computing power we have nowadays is that programmers don't need to develop efficient code; loops can cycle through at imperceptible speeds etc. Back in the day, many people actually coded in machine code so they make things as efficient as possible. Very few people bother these days.

I'm sure Erayd/Somebody can comment better than I on this.

hueybot3000
16-11-2009, 04:57 PM
Being unnecessarily verbose when coding/scripting is no different to using too many words when talking to someone; you'll be understood just the same, but it will take x-times longer than it needs to.

Thats what I was meaning, you just worded it alot clearer :rolleyes:

Thebananamonkey
17-11-2009, 12:27 AM
There are already too many crappy coders, Im only familiar with web coding but things like windows vista are the result of unefficient coding. It works well but isnt very well optimized

Vista is a result of an unclear mission statement and management getting out of hand.

Towards the end there were 10,000 programmers working on it. It's UNBELIEVABLY complicated. With the amount of it that's outsourced, quality control is chaotic and any elegance in coding is a joke.