PDA

View Full Version : Doh! My WAG160n is crapping out

wratterus
16-11-2009, 08:49 AM
Well well, looks like blind faith has been of no use, my Linksys WAG160n is finally developing problems. Random ADSL dropouts and speed fluctuations. QOS has given up. Every few days all the port forwards decide they don't want to be forwarded anymore and the ADSL router needs to be power cycled to get them back. Wireless speeds seem to be getting slower and slower, streaming 720p media over the wireless used to be fine, now it's slow and jittery, when my old D-Link wireless router handles it fine. The latest firmware is installed.

It is still under warranty, I don't know how I'm going to go with a RMA though. I'll see.

It looks like you guys (Chill, Blam) are recommending the Netcomm NB6Plus4Wn (http://www.netcomm.com.au/products/adsl_broadband/nb6plus4wn) at the moment, Anything better that anyone knows of? $150 - $230, and must be a 4 port wireless N ADSL Router.

Cheers!

wainuitech
16-11-2009, 09:01 AM
I've used the Netcomm for some time with customers, never had any one call back saying it was giving problems, so must be OK. apart from once when someone " fiddled" and changed all the setting - you know - "No one touched anything" - Yeah righttttttttttttt ;)

If the Linksys is still under warranty, then Yeah - RMA it, Normally I find you just explain in detail the problem, and since every thing comes right with the D-Link, that kind of proves the Linksys has a fault.

Chilling_Silence
16-11-2009, 09:10 AM
As Wainuitech said, definitely try and RMA it, you can do it directly to linksys (Yes their phone system can be a PITA, but it's worth trying right?). It's a known fault with those models, so they generally don't ask too many questions. Tell them it's overheating and ADSL is dropping as a result and they don't argue with that. See their website for RMA details.

Definitely the NetComm NB6Plus4WN, http://pbtech.co.nz/index.php?item=MODNCM1065 is $139 + GST, so it's an excellent price too!

wratterus
16-11-2009, 09:30 AM
Magic, thanks guys. I'm pretty sure the router actually is overheating, is that the cause of all the issues with these routers you think?

PB does have a great price on that Netcomm router.

nofam
16-11-2009, 09:53 AM
Yeah the Linksys W's do seem to run very hot (my WRT310n seems to run extremely hot, but I've never had a problem).

linw
16-11-2009, 03:13 PM
What is the warranty period for the 160N? I've got one 'out there' and it got pretty hot and would freeze so I jacked it up off the desk to let it breathe a bit. Haven't heard bad news for quite a while but maybe they are resetting it every time it hangs!!

It it gets returned, what do they replace it with?

wratterus
16-11-2009, 03:17 PM
One year warranty, mines just over 11 months old. I'm going to push for a store credit from PB, if that doesn't work it'll be straight to linksys, guess they'll probably send the same model back and the problem will re-occur when it's out of warranty? Just a guess. :(

Agent_24
16-11-2009, 03:17 PM
Probably the capacitors are failing, The high temperatures kill them off quickly

Measure the ESR and they are probably too high

A few people on Badcaps.net have modified Linksys routers for better cooling and installed higher quality capacitors (but probably most routers have this problem)

Chilling_Silence
16-11-2009, 07:04 PM
Yeah not all W-model Linksys are bad, in fact the WRT54GL is quite possibly one of the best routers of all times!

PBTech should be good about store credit, I've taken back 5 in the last two months and replaced the lot with the NetComms :)

Phil B
16-11-2009, 08:07 PM
I gotta WAG160N. When I first got it I noticed how hot it got. One day I was wondering around the shopping mall as you do & drifted into a $2 shop & as I was aimlessly bumping from pillar to post (You guessed it. I love shopping malls) I saw a plate holder. I thought about the router & the stupid design, or lack of design in heat dissipation, coughed up $2 for 3 plate stands. I now have a router standing more or less vertically & it barely gets warm even in the summer, wireless speeds are faster, connecting at 270 - 300 regardless of how many walls the signal passes through & hasn't missed a beat. See attached pic

CliveM
16-11-2009, 08:53 PM
I gotta WAG160N. When I first got it I noticed how hot it got. One day I was wondering around the shopping mall as you do & drifted into a $2 shop & as I was aimlessly bumping from pillar to post (You guessed it. I love shopping malls) I saw a plate holder. I thought about the router & the stupid design, or lack of design in heat dissipation, coughed up $2 for 3 plate stands. I now have a router standing more or less vertically & it barely gets warm even in the summer, wireless speeds are faster, connecting at 270 - 300 regardless of how many walls the signal passes through & hasn't missed a beat. See attached pic

Great idea!

linw
16-11-2009, 09:17 PM
One year warranty, mines just over 11 months old. I'm going to push for a store credit from PB, if that doesn't work it'll be straight to linksys, guess they'll probably send the same model back and the problem will re-occur when it's out of warranty? Just a guess. :(

Probably too late, then. Yes, you really don't want another one, eh.

My client's one is elevated but I like Phil's idea.

wratterus
17-11-2009, 08:56 AM
Probably too late, then. Yes, you really don't want another one, eh.

My client's one is elevated but I like Phil's idea.

Yeah, no use shutting the door after the horse has bolted.

+1 on Phil's idea, those routers do look awesome so there's no worries having them sitting up like that, that is a genius idea. You could even grab a 800RPM 120MM fan and mount it under the router, you'd barely hear it but that would keep it a lot cooler.

nofam
17-11-2009, 09:53 AM

:dogeye: My WRT310n never connects any faster than 130?

:illogical

Phil B
17-11-2009, 10:02 PM
Nofam. My router has the DNS settings for the ISP manually entered, WPA2 personal security with a nice long passphrase, ssid off, wireless mac filter set to permit only the pc's in the house, dhcp enabled with enough addresses (changed from the default setting) available only for pc's in the house & standing on top of my pc case. The router is roughly 1m from the floor. I found that if it is lower than that & the connecting pc's are low to the ground, it does slow the connection. All pc's in my house have static ip addresses. Other than that all settings are default. I never turn the router off & it's connecting at 300 with the media pc now & still barely warm. Try that with yours & see if makes any difference

justinsg
16-01-2010, 08:22 PM
The WAG160n has Serious firmware issues. Very Serious. After a few hours it fails to respond to ARP and RARP requests and its wireless speed and reliability drops to basically nothing. I can connect using linksys usb adapters, at 150mbps (135mpbs in the garage through one concrete and three plasterboard walls 15m away).
I have gotten as far as Linksys' Headquarters in California with the issue as it is one had by hundreds posting on their "Linksys Community Forums" and the communication from them is even worse than the quality of their router.
Dick Smith have already given me the option of changing to a Dlink DSL-2740B so I might just go with that

17-01-2010, 11:45 AM
must agree about the overheating problem heats up heaps have tried putting a 120mm fan under it but didn't fix problem of overheating then again it was in push should have prob been pull

about the wireless dropouts i had major ones when i got the router would dropout every two days permantly unless refreshed so upgraded to another firmware and then i would lose signals when 10meters away off and on but so far have found V1.00.14 of the firmware has been the most solid if any can be called solid

so have you tried upgrading firmware?

justinsg
17-01-2010, 01:29 PM
Yup. I've done everything. In fact - if you want the full explanation, diagnosis, faults, poor customer support, horror story and anger-fuelled commentary of this problem, check out the Linksys forums...

http://forums.linksysbycisco.com/linksys/board/message?board.id=DSL&thread.id=7727&view=by_date_ascending&page=1

This particular thread started in March last year and has now had 66 posts and links to another 20 odd threads discussing the same issue. My username over there is also justinsg

Happy reading :)

Rydia
17-01-2010, 03:43 PM
hahahahahahahaha i feel very sory at their faults good luck :D wiht making it work prp[erly ok, wish u get cooler one.. keep on posting

justinsg
17-01-2010, 04:13 PM
haha I know - at the moment I have it propped up on a baking mesh tray by two books with a 40cm fan blasting it at full speed. No improvement lol

Agent_24
18-01-2010, 01:05 PM
Has anyone actually looked into the theory of capacitor failure?

I say this because even though Linksys are expensive and seen as high quality, it seems they use the same rubbish capacitors as everyone else.

If they do run hot too, then it doesn't help. High heat combined with rubbish quality capacitors = quick failure.

http://www.badcaps.net/forum/showthread.php?t=4784 for example.

Seach Linksys on their forum and you will find many threads...

Chilling_Silence
18-01-2010, 01:59 PM
Yet the WRT54GL is quite possibly the greatest router, and maybe even most popular AP of all times? ;)

Agent_24
18-01-2010, 02:56 PM
I don't disagree. With the feature set and hardware it's very good.

But without the decent capacitors to back it up, it's like building a $4000 gaming system and then using a Hyena PSU.

If you've got a WRT54GL I'd be interested to know what brand capacitors are in it. Internet seems to suggest they use Hermei, which are agreed on Badcaps.net as being average junk. Work a couple of years and die, and high temperatures don't help! I've replaced several bulging ones from an LCD monitor that wouldn't even turn on, put some decent Rubycons and Panasonics in it, works perfectly now.

Chilling_Silence
18-01-2010, 07:33 PM
If I pull one apart, can you guide me to deciphering that?

Agent_24
18-01-2010, 08:15 PM
Sure. All you have to do is find the electrolytic capacitors (there will be several) and then read what the brand name is. (I have attached a photo showing what you are looking for)

If you can't read the name or if it's just a logo and not a name then a description or photo would be good.