PDA

View Full Version : scanner problem

jiro
15-11-2009, 02:33 PM
Wonder if someone could help?
Recently when I go to use my scanner I get a message saying can,t communicate with scanner please check cable is plugged in The cable is ok as i have tried 2 others that I know are good ,and the scanner works fine on an old pc I have.I,m getting the same message when I plug in a camera, but my printer works fine. All these devices are USB connected although the printer is powered separately.I recently installed SP3 for XP .Could this be the cause?
Have tried re-installing/updating drivers to no effect.Motherboard is a Gigabyte GA-P35C-DS3R .CPU is Q6600
Any suggestions would be appreciated

Speedy Gonzales
15-11-2009, 02:35 PM
Did you delete the entries under USB controllers in device manager, then reboot?? I would also make sure USB 2 is enabled in the BIOS

notechyet
15-11-2009, 05:39 PM
I had troubles with scanners before and on one occasion it was the media type settings of the network card. Those have to correspond with those of the scanner/printer. Might worth a try?:2cents:

jiro
15-11-2009, 05:45 PM
Hi Speedy
I,m afraid I dont know

jiro
15-11-2009, 05:53 PM
Hi Speedy
I dont know what you mean by
deleting the entries ,sorry. USB2 is enabled.
thanks.

notechyet
15-11-2009, 06:18 PM
My apology, Obviously I did not read the starting post to the end. If usb hardware then my suggestion does not apply.:(

jiro
15-11-2009, 06:49 PM
I just went into control panel and the scanner and camera are not on the list.If I click on add device nothing happens.Also in device manager the scanner is there as unknown device.Tried turning off USB and back on but no good.

kamo1
16-11-2009, 08:00 AM
You can try going to services.msc and stop the "windows Image Acquisition"(WIA) service.
Restart your computer, go back to services.msc & start the WIA service again to see if it fix the problem. If not unplug the usb from your scanner, restart the computer & plug in the usb cord again. I hope this work for you.

linw
16-11-2009, 03:17 PM
Twain dwiver problem?? That error msge looks very much like the one I have had recently. So, probably not a USB problem. More likely WIA as stated or twain dvr.

jiro
16-11-2009, 07:30 PM
Hi Kamo 1
I tried what you suggested but no go.I am getting a message "cannot open twain source".Does this mean the driver is not working ?

Agent_24
16-11-2009, 07:34 PM
Would be helpful if you told us which scanner you have, knowing that you have an Intel Q6600 CPU doesn't mean anything in this situation

If you just installed SP3 it might have broken the driver somehow, or the driver might be incompatible with SP3.

Try reinstalling the scanner, if that doesn't work, download updated drivers for it. (This is where if you tell is what scanner you have, it makes it a lot easier)

kamo1
16-11-2009, 08:51 PM
Hi Kamo 1
I tried what you suggested but no go.I am getting a message "cannot open twain source".Does this mean the driver is not working ?

Hi Jiro,
It's definitely a driver issue which was corrupted somehow. You have to reinstall the drivers that come with your scanner or go to your scanner web site to download the latest driver for your version. Hopefully, this will fix it.

jiro
17-11-2009, 07:07 PM
I installed the latest driver from canon but still get the same message.I wonder if SP3 has caused this problem?.

kamo1
17-11-2009, 08:25 PM
I installed the latest driver from canon but still get the same message.I wonder if SP3 has caused this problem?.

Hi jiro,
Did you correctly download the drivers for your model. The latest drivers will not work on older models. Example, drivers for Canon MP630 will not work on the older MP610. So you need the drivers for your hardware specification.
Also, you need to uninstall any old drivers before you proceed. Unplug the usb cable from your scanner, then install the drivers & finally plug the usb cable back on for the computer to pick it up.
If this does not work, I am sorry for not able to help.

Agent_24
17-11-2009, 10:45 PM
Can you tell us which scanner you have?

jiro
17-11-2009, 11:32 PM
The scanner is a Canon Lide 20.I will try what you suggested as
I didnt remove the old driver .
Thanks

Agent_24
18-11-2009, 09:03 AM
Looking on the website, they support Windows 7 so I think XP Sp3 should be supported, though that doesn't rule out the possibility that something got stuffed up when you installed it. But hopefully if you do the following it will fix it:

I notice on the website they have a driver uninstallation tool.

If you go here: http://www.usa.canon.com/consumer/controller?act=ModelInfoAct&fcategoryid=119&modelid=6624#DownloadDetailAct

Then under OS select Windows XP

Scroll down below the drivers and you will see a program listed as ""DelDrv Ver. 1.2.5.0 (Windows 7/Vista/XP/2000/Me/98)
deldrvwin1250ejf.exe""

Download this and use it to uninstall your drivers.

After it's finished, download the latest drivers if you didn't already and then install them.

Hopefully the scanner will work again

EDIT: For the record I have a Canon N1240U which uses LiDE technology and going by the photo looks almost the same as your LiDE 20. Most probably they use very similar components and I know mine works on XP SP3.

jiro
18-11-2009, 10:39 PM
Hi Agent
I followed your suggestions ,removed driver and installed latest one but problem persists. The machine just doesnt see the scanner or camera, although when I installed the new driver it said detected new hardware and named the scanner but it still shows up in device manager as an unknown device.In control panel under scanners and cameras there is nothing listed.Could it be an OS problem?

Agent_24
19-11-2009, 12:16 AM
Maybe try uninstalling the drivers again, and then trying this:

Did you delete the entries under USB controllers in device manager, then reboot??

jiro
19-11-2009, 06:26 PM
HI Agent. Could you explain how to delete the USB entries in device manager.
thanks

Agent_24
19-11-2009, 06:53 PM
In device manager, scroll down to the USB controllers list.

Expand the category and you will see things like ''USB Root Hub'' etc

Right click on these and choose ''uninstall''

When you have removed them all, and the scanner drivers, reboot. The USB controllers will automatically be reinstalled by windows and then you could try reinstalling your scanner.

jiro
20-11-2009, 07:54 PM
Thanks for the info Agent. I followed your instructions, deleted all
usb controllers and driver, rebooted and computer said found new hardware Lide scanner but when I tried to use it I got the same message cannot comunicate with scanner so back to square one ,but thanks for your help.