PDA

View Full Version : iPod backup

R.M.
15-11-2009, 02:11 PM
How do you people backup your iPod? 'Himself' has a classic 80gb 'pod with all his music (mostly classical) and from purchesed CDs. He now has a number of movies as well. I have the movies backed up on my 'puter, but not the music.

I can find files looking at the iPod as an external HDD, but it is hard to find the music, and just occasionally I want to use a track in something I'm doing.

The last of a proper backup makes me a bit nervous though!

Speedy Gonzales
15-11-2009, 02:33 PM
I usually re-add whatever back, (well you have to), if you reformat and use Itunes. Then re-sync them. If you use Itunes, the names arent the same as what they are on the hdd. Thats probably why you cant find them

R.M.
15-11-2009, 02:40 PM
I usually re-add whatever back, (well you have to), if you reformat and use Itunes.

Exactly what do you mean by that? Do you mean going through the whole lot again and redoing them in iTunes? :(

Speedy Gonzales
15-11-2009, 02:44 PM
Yup thats what it means (thats if you've reformatted / done a clean install). Or if you havent reformatted just re-add whatever then resync them. You dont really have to back up an Ipod anyway. Just keep adding to it. You'll have to rip the original cd for the MP3's , since the format once its on the Ipod is different

Erayd
15-11-2009, 02:49 PM
You'll have to rip the original cd for the MP3's , since the format once its on the Ipod is different.Not true Speedy - the files are identical, they just have weird names, and they're in a hidden folder. There are zillions of programs around which will retrieve them from the ipod with their original names, or you can back them up as-is and use a tagging program to rename them to something meaningful based on their tag content.

iPods can play MP3, LC AAC (and maybe Apple Lossless - I can't remember) natively.

R.M.
15-11-2009, 02:54 PM
[QUOTE=Erayd;839704use a tagging program to rename them to something meaningful based on their tag content.[/QUOTE]

Yes, they are now in mp3 format (previously something else much bigger - can't remember what now. What programme would you use for tagging, and would you have to do each one separately? :crying

plod
15-11-2009, 03:03 PM
open up an explorer window that accesses the ipod, go to folder view, tick the show hidden file button. All your music will appear in the explorer window. No need for special programs.

Erayd
15-11-2009, 03:06 PM
Yes, they are now in mp3 format (previously something else much bigger - can't remember what now. What programme would you use for tagging...I personally use EasyTag (http://easytag.sourceforge.net/) for tagging. Note that I use the Linux version of it - while it does have a Windows port, I have no idea how good that port is.

I'd also recommend you investigate using an app that can read the database on the iPod directly before you try a tagging program - the database usually has more accurate information than the file tags do.

...and would you have to do each one separately? :cryingNope - any tagging app worth its salt can do the whole lot in batch mode, in one go.

Chilling_Silence
15-11-2009, 03:59 PM
TouchCopy '09 (By WideAngle Software) is brilliant, have used it myself to backup my iPhone for when I migrated PC's... Well worth the small investment :)

kahawai chaser
15-11-2009, 04:50 PM
As noted above by Erayd, I used mp3 tag (http://www.mp3tag.de/en/) to rename dozens of Ipod coded names (e.g. like adcs1230) into readable title and artist formats. Very fast in batch mode, but as long as the tags are embedded.

R.M.
15-11-2009, 06:33 PM
TouchCopy '09 (By WideAngle Software) is brilliant, have used it myself to backup my iPhone for when I migrated PC's... Well worth the small investment :)

Just what I needed - works a treat. Thanks for that. :)