PDA

View Full Version : Fax call back service

andreas.hagen
14-11-2009, 06:14 PM
Hi,

I've setup a fax test call back service and need some volunteers to test what I've setup.

The number is 02825504023 but I'm not sure what the termination rate will be for everybody's number it shouldn't be that much though!

If you could report back whether the test was successful or not and the turnaround time that would be awesome.

Thanks in advance!

:banana

paulw
14-11-2009, 06:56 PM
You won't get many takers as they will be paying a cell fone call rate to this number.. Who on earth has 8 digit 028 numbers?? I though this was against the NAD..

andreas.hagen
14-11-2009, 11:45 PM
Dear Mr. Party Pooper,

I know you meant well but your comments have probably killed a project I have worked on for the last few weeks for the IT community. Nobody seems to be running a call back service to test a fax machine anymore -
but there are still so many fax machines and fax modems - people are still buying them and IMHO this is a niche that should be filled.

I set up a small server, wrote a combination of VB and batch file scripts and spent $100 on an external modem to enable the outgoing reply fax.

I realize the number was not ideal but it was suggested by a member on this very forum and it meant that I could set up the service at minimal cost to myself and it allowed me to capture the 'A' party phone number. Test Fax transmissions are usually short (lasting less than a minute) the charge to the initiator would have been minimal.

If you are willing to sponsor or suggest a way that I can provide this service at no cost to myself with a more acceptable number and better yet no cost to the caller and be available throughout NZ I am very receptive to your suggestions!

:thanks

"Some men see things as they are and say why.
I dream things that never were and say why not."
- Robert Francis Kennedy

Jeff
17-11-2009, 02:40 PM
Tried your fax back service.
It didn't work. Could hear your modem but my fax didn't reply to it.

I think the fax might not have liked the sound of your modem, it didn't seem to sound right to me.

Jeff.

andreas.hagen
17-11-2009, 02:48 PM
Sorry I shut down the server. I will start it up hang on a tick

andreas.hagen
17-11-2009, 02:53 PM
Try faxing again...

andreas.hagen
17-11-2009, 02:56 PM
Gidday Jeff, how's the interviews going?

Jeff
17-11-2009, 04:49 PM
Have send another fax.
It has gone through but I have got no reply.

Jeff.

andreas.hagen
17-11-2009, 05:20 PM
Is this your number: 039635XXX?

It came through ok, but I have a toll bar hence why it didn't dial out successfully.

Jeff
17-11-2009, 08:20 PM
The number is not correct. How are you getting the number?
Off Caller ID or off the Fax Header?

Seeing you have a toll bar, unless I am in your toll free area it is not going to work.

Jeff.

andreas.hagen
17-11-2009, 08:41 PM
Sorry at this stage it only works in the Akl 09 calling area

Billy T
18-11-2009, 10:14 AM
I'm pretty sure Telecom has a fax callback number, I recall using it to test my fax line several years ago. It was an 0800 number too, so you could call free from anywhere and it gave a report in line condition and fax signal as well. I have a feeling it was 0800 208 208 but don't count on that. somebody else here may know or remember better that me.

Cheers

Billy 8-{)

andreas.hagen
18-11-2009, 10:26 AM
It's not - you should try the number.

paulw
18-11-2009, 12:47 PM
I'm pretty sure Telecom has a fax callback number, I recall using it to test my fax line several years ago. It was an 0800 number too, so you could call free from anywhere and it gave a report in line condition and fax signal as well. I have a feeling it was 0800 208 208 but don't count on that. somebody else here may know or remember better that me.

Cheers

Billy 8-{)

It was 0800 108208 but got canned several years ago and the TelstraClear one was canned this year so a new one would be nice it it was on a number other than a 028 one.. Maybe I'll try it from our office fax..

paulw
18-11-2009, 04:19 PM
Hi Andreas,

Did a test and the faxback worked though I see that you are doing the fax back by CLID rather than the CSID set in the fax machine. This is important if the fax is being set via a business with DID into the fax machine. Most PBX systems send out the CLID as the billing pilot number unless they reconfigured for outgoing CLID per ext basis..

Just a thought for you to work on. But looking OK so far..

andreas.hagen
18-11-2009, 04:34 PM
Thanks for trying out my service.