PDA

View Full Version : Where is the network security key

glyndwr
14-11-2009, 05:05 PM
Just installed Win 7 to a laptop, but now cannot connect to my pre-existing home network. The trouble is that I am being asked for the Network security key, which I can find nowhere, not in the D-Link, not in the Windows setup. I have tried the only key I can find, which is a great string of alphanumeric, but no go. I phoned D-Link, but they couldn't help. Any ideas where I might find the pesky thing, Folks?

pctek
14-11-2009, 05:14 PM
In the router. If you have forgotten it you can factory reset the router and re-do all it's settings.

glyndwr
14-11-2009, 06:11 PM
Had a deko in the router, pctec, but saw no option to reset to factory condition. Should there be one somewhere, or do I just type into all the boxes again?

glyndwr
14-11-2009, 06:12 PM
Sorry; that should have been pctek. It's been a long, hard day.

KarameaDave
14-11-2009, 06:47 PM
on the back near the power input should be a small recessed button
if you push it in it will reset the router to factory.

glyndwr
14-11-2009, 06:51 PM
Thanks, pctek. I see it, but I think I'll start afresh tomorrow. I'll keep you posted.

wainuitech
14-11-2009, 07:21 PM
As long as you can connect to the router with another PC, it will be under the login details or for wireless password - wireless security.

If you need the wireless and you can connect with another wireless PC/Laptop, load in This from Nirsoft (http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wireless_key.html) - it will tell you the wireless key. Just a word of caution - some antivirus software detect this as a virus, its not, its just the way it works, so you may need to disable the AV.
I phoned D-Link, but they couldn't help IDIOTS :groan: