PDA

View Full Version : PC Case-Quiet

Grimy
14-11-2009, 01:36 PM
For my new PC I am looking at cases. I would prefer something;
Reasonably quiet
Reasonably stylish (does not need flashing lights, bells and whistles)
Easy to work with (tool-less assembly preferred)
Preferably I/O on or near the top front (rather than down the bottom-the case will live on the floor)
Firewire on the front would be a bonus
Price range of up to $250 with no PSU, will get that separately, but obviously cheaper the better

I've been looking at cases at Computer Lounge, does anyone have any experience with any of the following?
Coolermaster Sileo 500 Mid Tower $159
Gigabyte Cupio 6140 Mid Tower $229
Gigabyte Poseidon Mid Tower $169
Gigabyte Poseidon 310 $169
Coolermaster Storm Scout Gaming $179----okay, this one probably doesn't fit with quiet or understated stylish, but hey, it looks good and the price is right!!
My present system has a Raidmax Ninja case, so it's not that I don't like lights and windows, just that they aren't necessary.

As an aside, am I able to just copy shortcuts from say CL and paste them here so you can go straight to the page?

Any other suggestions for a case please. Many thanks.

Thebananamonkey
14-11-2009, 01:49 PM
Tool-less assembly is a gimmick.

My case has it and I've found that if I throw the rails away and use screws then noise decreases quite markedly. It's even quieter if you buy screws with rubber grommets. My comp makes barely any noise now.

Also, I got rid of all high RPM fans and replaced them with more expensive but more efficient low RPM ones which helped A LOT!

And because I figure that if you do a job, it might as well be done well, I suspended my HDD's in a 5" bay with a some elastic to reduce noise. They're just floating there and you can't really hear a thing in my comp now.

the_bogan
14-11-2009, 02:04 PM
And because I figure that if you do a job, it might as well be done well, I suspended my HDD's in a 5" bay with a some elastic to reduce noise. They're just floating there and you can't really hear a thing in my comp now.

Ouch... better keep a close eye on that elastic. With that heat, it won't be long before they dry out and that'll be a nice little snap.

Thebananamonkey
14-11-2009, 02:16 PM
Ouch... better keep a close eye on that elastic. With that heat, it won't be long before they dry out and that'll be a nice little snap.

Elastic as in waistband type stuff, not elastic band. I think it'll be fine.

the_bogan
14-11-2009, 02:22 PM
Okay then :)

I give it two years. Chances are you would have upgraded by then.

Grimy
14-11-2009, 06:35 PM
Tool-less not a huge priority. My last two have been, and it has been handy, but I won't be in there every week, so can live without it. However, most cases seem to be these days.

whellington
14-11-2009, 07:20 PM
Lancool Dragonlord PC-K62 from CL for $199

Tooless design
Black interior
Side window

Grimy
14-11-2009, 08:46 PM

Tooless design
Black interior
Side window
Thanks for that. A nice looking case with good reviews-on my short list.

Grimy
15-11-2009, 02:53 PM

Tooless design
Black interior
Side window

Just had a measure and the Dragonlord is a bit taller than most (which has advantadges for internal space), which will require computer desk modification with a saw, which I can do, but not super keen on (its a nice Criterion desk).....

Grimy
17-11-2009, 10:33 PM
Having spent hours (and hours, and....)reading reviews on cases and finding something I don't like about just about all of them, I am wondering about the Lian-Li PC-A05N http://www.computerlounge.co.nz/components/componentview.asp?partid=9410
Now I know it is a small case, with an unusual internal layout, but it is stylish, has the I/O at top front (although no Firewire), but from the bit I've read on-line it sounds promising. I don't think the size will matter as I don't need lots of bays.

The other possibility is the Lian-Li PC-7FWB http://www.computerlounge.co.nz/components/componentview.asp?partid=7789
Also gets good reviews, but I probably don't need the extra space, and getting a little away from my price range......but nice.

Any thoughts on these?

wratterus
18-11-2009, 12:55 AM
What about the CM690?

stormdragon
18-11-2009, 01:41 PM
If your going to go with Lian Li these (http://www.computerlounge.co.nz/components/componentview.asp?partid=10170) look awesome.

+1 for the CM690 (http://www.computerlounge.co.nz/components/componentview.asp?partid=5644), although admittedly mines far from quiet with 7 case fans.

Thebananamonkey
18-11-2009, 05:50 PM
CM690 has my vote too. $160 is hard to beat for a case with that many features.

Noise shouldn't be a problem if you buy low RPM fans. Spend a bit of money on these and you should be rewarded with a cold case and hopefully you won't be deafened each time you turn it on.

Tukapa
18-11-2009, 06:23 PM
CM690 +1

I have one and it is a good case with good air flow and all your connection options on top of the case for easy access. Plenty of room for upgrades.

ephesus
18-11-2009, 06:52 PM
Antec Sonata is extremely quiet (with or without PSU). Really like mine.

Grimy
18-11-2009, 07:42 PM
CM690 and LL-PC-K62B look to be great cases, but both a bit tall for the space I have (ideally up to 460mm). Perhaps I will have to break out the saw....

Grimy
28-11-2009, 03:47 PM
Still leaning towards this
http://www.computerlounge.co.nz/components/componentview.asp?partid=9410

Grimy
02-12-2009, 08:54 PM
Okay, I've bought the LIAN-LI PC-A05NB.
Thanks for all the suggestions, I appreciate them.
I'll let you know if I made the right choice (is there ever a really right/wrong choice?) once I've got it all together (which could be a while-still buying the other bits and pieces).
Don't worry, if I've stuffed up I will confess!!

Poppa John
02-12-2009, 09:26 PM
Curiosity only, here.

There is mention above of 5" & 7" case fans. Why would these be needed?

My Metla built only has the PSU fan & the CPU fan, but it does not overheat. The case fan would not take the place of th CPU fan would it? Thanks PJ :help:

Battleneter2
03-12-2009, 10:07 AM
Curiosity only, here.

There is mention above of 5" & 7" case fans. Why would these be needed?

My Metla built only has the PSU fan & the CPU fan, but it does not overheat. The case fan would not take the place of th CPU fan would it? Thanks PJ :help:

Its all about moving heat outside the case, cooler air inside the case lowers the temperature of of everything. Higher end rigs generally generate a lot more heat mainstream rigs. High end power hungry Graphics cards, possible overclock on the processor (I7's Quads run hotter than AMD x2's for example), multiple hard drives etc all generating heat. If your overclocking especially you want good airflow, the cooler the better.

Most new cases run 120mm+ fans, although big they spin slowly so there is much lower noise than the older cases with the smaller faster RPM fans.

SolMiester
03-12-2009, 10:11 AM
If only I had the money, I would buy the Corsair Obsidian 800D, that is a case for LIFE..period.

wratterus
03-12-2009, 11:00 AM
If only I had the money, I would buy the Corsair Obsidian 800D, that is a case for LIFE..period.

IMHO only if you water cool.

I love everything about that case, but IMO the air cooling just isn't on par with other cases, eg Antec Twelve Hundred and Silverstone TJ-09 and TJ-10. :xmouth:

qazwsxokmijn
03-12-2009, 11:20 AM
What I find weird about all these cases is that there are more outtake fans than there are intake. Isn't that bad? I mean, wouldn't the case start sucking in air from little unfiltered holes? Or worse yet recycle hot air through the PCI vent?

John H
03-12-2009, 11:24 AM
Okay, I've bought the LIAN-LI PC-A05NB.
(snip)

I have had a Lian Li case for several years. Brilliant quality and easy to work inside. Quiet too.

Did you see the Stuff article on cases and power supplies? http://www.stuff.co.nz/technology/gadgets/3115765/PC-Buyers-Guide-Cases-and-Power-Supplies

JJJJJ
03-12-2009, 11:33 AM
I'm a fan of Liam Li cases. IMO they are the quietest and coolest running.
My current case, which I got talked into buying, is an Antec. It is very good.The only noise I get is from the fans which are running at full speed. With the fans at slow the case is silent. Unfortunately I require full speed due to overclocking.