PDA

View Full Version : WEP Encryption Key

EFFIGY
14-11-2009, 08:49 AM
Am connecting my newly rebuilt machine to my wireless network, I downlowded and installed the driver all went well.
However the set-up is asking me for the WEP encryption key. I recall that I once found this when I had a similar problem with limited connectivity, but I cant remember what it is or where I found it..... help please

gary67
14-11-2009, 09:06 AM
It's the key for the wireless so you probably won't connect to the router without it, it's not stored on your computer is it in FF or IE under saved passwords

wainuitech
14-11-2009, 09:06 AM
Log into your router with another PC / Laptop, go to the wireless security and there it will be.

If another PC or laptop is connecting Via wireless you can also run This from Nirsoft (http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wireless_key.html) and it will tell you the key. Just be aware that some antivirus software detects this program as a virus, its NOT - its just the way it works.

EFFIGY
14-11-2009, 09:35 AM
Found it! Thanks.
Second problem - its not connecting to the network, it can find it but not connect - smacks head into keyboard - going to go have a shower and then try work out why.

EFFIGY
14-11-2009, 09:44 AM
Says WEP key is not the same but I have typed it 3 times!!!

EFFIGY
14-11-2009, 10:20 AM
OK All fixed. I just had to override the 'get setting automatically' option and disable the LAN that we tested it on before I brought it home.