PDA

View Full Version : New to networking

Newteach
14-11-2009, 08:57 AM
I'm new to networking previously only having a small house with one connection. Am now on an xtra broadband connection on a rather large property with a shed miles from the house that has a phone connection. Can I use that phone line in the shed to connect to my xtra broadband and what do I need to do this? Do I need to purchase another router and how do I set that up. I have a wireless access port spare, is there any way I can hook that up to a normal phone line via an adapter cord. And no it is too far to run a network cable to the shed. Advice greatfully recieved.

NT

Speedy Gonzales
14-11-2009, 10:25 AM
You can only have 1 line, and it has to be the phone line you signed up with, when you got onto broadband. So if the phone in the shed isnt the phone thats tied to the broadband, then no you cant use it. The only way you can use the phone in the shed is either ring your ISP and get them to change the BB to the phone in the shed. Or pay for 2 separate lines and 2 separate ADSL accounts

feersumendjinn
14-11-2009, 10:50 AM
Alternatively, if the phone line in the shed is an extension of the house line, you could add another ADSL modem to the shed, you just couldnt have both modems going at the same time (I think, maybe somebody knows more about this). You could get a wireless access point/router for the house to transmit to the shed (but the range is limited, about 100 meters from indoors under ideal conditions).

feersumendjinn
14-11-2009, 11:00 AM
There are higher power units available (out to 400 meters), but I don't know whether they are available/legal in NZ.

Newteach
14-11-2009, 12:21 PM
Yeah sorry a bit confusing, same phone number in shed, so looks like I'll price up an extra long network cable or a high powered wireless unit.

KarameaDave
14-11-2009, 12:35 PM
Don't forget maximum length for an Ethernet cable is 100 metres (in theory)

wainuitech
14-11-2009, 12:38 PM
You have not actually said the distance from the house to shed - if you go the network cable option, keep in mind that you are still limited with a cable, as feersumendjinn said re the wireless - even with the cable after 100mtrs (total) from router to PC you will run into problems unless there is a repeater installed to extend beyond 100mtrs.

dirtbag
15-11-2009, 07:20 PM
I have successfully run a cat5e cable to about 120m or 130m, negotiates every time at 100mbit and had no problems. And that's just with a consumer level dlink switch and a integrated NIC on an two year old HP machine.