PDA

View Full Version : Partitioning

Poppa John
13-11-2009, 11:35 AM
Hi All

Marryann's HD is 80GB, approx half is C & t'other half is D.

C is now full. I have managed to download the Free Paragon Partition Manager.I have run it thro partway & it looks easy to use. It does reccomend doing some backup work but that is all done. Is there anything I should be wary of? If I stuff this up I am dog tucker!!! PJ

bob_doe_nz
13-11-2009, 11:39 AM
Electricity supply. Don't let it go down while it's doing it's thing.:xmouth:

Poppa John
13-11-2009, 11:47 AM
Sorry. Posted in wrong place. Put it down to my age & advancing senility!!! PJ :blush:

Poppa John
13-11-2009, 02:58 PM
Drastic Measures. If we re-format & start again, do We have to contact Microsoft to reactivate, or something? PJ

Poppa John
13-11-2009, 03:08 PM
Drastic Measures. If we re-format & start again, do We have to contact Microsoft to reactivate, or something? PJ

roddy_boy
13-11-2009, 03:11 PM
You've posted the same message twice there PJ.

Poppa John
13-11-2009, 04:17 PM

Thanks. PJ

Poppa John
13-11-2009, 04:37 PM
Even more Drastic Measures.

I am assuming that this computer is "IDE" & not "Sata".

If we got a bigger HD it would then have to be an IDE.

I would initially instal it as "Slave".

How would I transfer the whole of the 80GB drive accross? With something called :Imaging; that I have seen here?
If so can I change the new drive & call it C?. Would the C & D partions be the same? PJ

Cicero
13-11-2009, 05:07 PM

I have to admire your powers of observation.

gary67
13-11-2009, 05:20 PM
Acronis true image for a paid one or macrium reflect or drive image xml for free, I think the recomended free one is macrium not 100% sure though. Any of those will image your drive

Grimy
13-11-2009, 07:13 PM
Even more Drastic Measures.

I am assuming that this computer is "IDE" & not "Sata".

If we got a bigger HD it would then have to be an IDE.

I would initially instal it as "Slave".

How would I transfer the whole of the 80GB drive accross? With something called :Imaging; that I have seen here?
If so can I change the new drive & call it C?. Would the C & D partions be the same? PJ

I haven't done it for a while, but when I upgraded from a 15Gb to an 80Gb (WD) drive a few years back, WD had some programs on their website. One copied all the data from your old drive to the new one, OS and all. It worked perfectly. I had the old drive copied to the new bigger one, and put the original drive away in a drawer as a back up of everything. 6 years later my sister is still using that PC. I suggest you go to your HD makers website and see what tools they have there for free. Good luck.

Poppa John
13-11-2009, 07:23 PM
I haven't done it for a while, but when I upgraded from a 15Gb to an 80Gb (WD) drive a few years back, WD had some programs on their website. One copied all the data from your old drive to the new one, OS and all. It worked perfectly. I had the old drive copied to the new bigger one, and put the original drive away in a drawer as a back up of everything. 6 years later my sister is still using that PC. I suggest you go to your HD makers website and see what tools they have there for free. Good luck.

Thanks, will keep that in mind PJ

Sweep
13-11-2009, 07:25 PM
Ageed. Like Seagate Disk Wizard for example which is free and will clone disks or make images assuming you have one Seagate or Maxtor hard drive.

Poppa John
13-11-2009, 07:54 PM
Ageed. Like Seagate Disk Wizard for example which is free and will clone disks or make images assuming you have one Seagate or Maxtor hard drive.

Does it matter if the drives are brand dissimmilar. New, wd & old, ??? PJ

Poppa John
13-11-2009, 07:55 PM
Also will a Sata HD work with the older IDE board? PJ

Sweep
13-11-2009, 08:00 PM
Does it matter if the drives are brand dissimmilar. New, wd & old, ??? PJ

Only one Seagate or Maxtor drive needed. Any others can be any brand.

Sweep
13-11-2009, 08:02 PM
Also will a Sata HD work with the older IDE board? PJ

A SATA internal will not work with an IDE motherboard.

You could put one in an enclosure and use a USB port though.

Poppa John
13-11-2009, 08:25 PM
A SATA internal will not work with an IDE motherboard.

You could put one in an enclosure and use a USB port though.

Hmmm...So it will ave to be an interal HD, no question. PJ

gary67
13-11-2009, 08:27 PM
HD can be either internal or external it just depends if you put it in a case or not the actual HDD is the same just whether IDE or SATA

Poppa John
13-11-2009, 08:37 PM
OK. I didn't know what brand the existing 80GB is. So I looked in "My Computer" (How logical is that!!!). It is a seagate Barracuda IDE 80GB. So that is half of it solved. Now to save hard & get another one. Thanks all.PJ

Metla
13-11-2009, 08:38 PM
But.....You have 40GB of unused space on that one.....

Poppa John
13-11-2009, 08:44 PM
But.....You have 40GB of unused space on that one.....

That drive is a total mess at the moment. We have tried to move stuff from C to D, but it hasn't worked properly. For instance, Maryann's My Picyures is spread across both & the more we try & correct this, the worse it all gets. I did d/l Paragon with a view to re-sizing the partitions. You know her as well as i do with HER computer. I got a flea in my ear. So I am trying to help from a healthy distance.

Man or Mouse? Sqeak, squeak. I might be old & going senile, but I am not stupid. Am I? I can't remember !!! PJ

Sweep
13-11-2009, 09:09 PM
So if you buy another drive and clone same you will have the same problem on another drive won't you!

Metla
13-11-2009, 09:13 PM
Alrighty, Pencil me in for another visit.

I'll take the Hard-drive away and merge the partitions, tidy up the mess.

Poppa John
13-11-2009, 09:17 PM
Alrighty, Pencil me in for another visit.

I'll take the Hard-drive away and merge the partitions, tidy up the mess.

Ok as you wish. Maryann is ecstatic. It keeps my clumsy hands away. Thankou reight much. PJ

Poppa John
13-11-2009, 09:31 PM
Maryann hadn't told me that you had sent her a PM, they must have crossed. I was willing to do as you suggested....But....She is a Fiesty Little Woman , as you know. sqeek, squeek. PJ

Myth
13-11-2009, 10:27 PM
I'm still kinda stuck on the why did you need a partition manager?
You had a 40GB empty drive which was likely formatted NTFS (file system - default for XP) and all you needed to do was copy/paste to the other drive :xmouth:
Assuming Maryann had filled the drive with her photos, you can easily transfer the entire My Pictures folder across to the other drive (copy/paste) and then create a shortcut to that folder in My Documents.

Anyway, Metla's fixing it so...

If you need another IDE harddrive in future, gimme a yell. Right now I have a 250Gig IDE Seagate collecting dust

Maryann
14-11-2009, 09:16 AM
That drive is a total mess at the moment. We have tried to move stuff from C to D, but it hasn't worked properly. For instance, Maryann's My Picyures is spread across both & the more we try & correct this, the worse it all gets. I did d/l Paragon with a view to re-sizing the partitions. You know her as well as i do with HER computer. I got a flea in my ear. So I am trying to help from a healthy distance.

Man or Mouse? Sqeak, squeak. I might be old & going senile, but I am not stupid. Am I? I can't remember !!! PJ

Can this be ME that my beloved is writing about! Surely not. Well...maybe.
I have just done what my brain didn't think of before. Created a shortcut on desktop, to D drive. :thumbs:
Reflecting on the male of the species, i.e. PJ, can any of you imagine what happens if I go to alter something on his computer! :ban
Many mooons ago, I almost cleared his desktop of all the icons that were just about making me crosseyed and put them into a tidy 'unused icons folder'
Oh dear oh dear. To use a Yorkshire expression, he really really "Got munk on" :lol:

Apart from 'Don't touch my computer', we have recently had our 7th Wedding Anniversary and are thankful that things have worked out for us.

gary67
14-11-2009, 10:10 AM
Well Maryann I think then you are doing well I have to ask SWMBO's permission to touch her computer even though it is usually to fix something she has done, 7 years that's going some we just hit 5 this year

Poppa John
14-11-2009, 10:26 AM
Well Maryann I think then you are doing well I have to ask SWMBO's permission to touch her computer even though it is usually to fix something she has done, 7 years that's going some we just hit 5 this year

We are 71 & 73 !!! Maryann is old & wise. I am just old. PJ