PDA

View Full Version : CPU cooler/RAM space issues

wratterus
12-11-2009, 04:24 PM
Does anyone know if I'm going to run into any space issues with the following components?

Asus P7P55D Pro (http://www.computerlounge.co.nz/components/componentview.asp?partid=9953)

Corsair 4X2GB DDR3-1600 CL8 Dominator (http://www.computerlounge.co.nz/components/componentview.asp?partid=10372)

Prolimatech Megahalems CPU cooler
(http://www.computerlounge.co.nz/components/componentview.asp?partid=9794)
Antec Tricool 120mm (http://www.computerlounge.co.nz/components/componentview.asp?partid=4656) fan for heatsink (to be mounted on RAM side blowing toward rear of case)

I'm a bit worried that the fan and the RAM may be a bit close.

Would getting the TRUE 120 Black which is 10mm thinner make enough difference? only issue there is I can't find any 1156 mounts in NZ for it.

I have been watercooled for quite some time now and I'm way out of touch with aftermarket CPU coolers. :blush:

PS - if you know of any other good smaller coolers with similarish performance (and very low noise) to the TRUE 120 or Megahalems coolers and good looks, feel free to post a link to them. :)

Thebananamonkey
12-11-2009, 07:53 PM
I'd imagine that the fan would sit well above your RAM. Lots of people use the Megahalems with their 1156 processors. It's kind of why it was made. You'll want as thick a fan as your HS can mount (I feel dirty saying those words. *Shudder*) for as many CFM as possible without simply upping RPM and adding noise.

The Megahalems is supposed to be the best on the market, beating a lot of smallish water coolers.

Or if it was a problem then you could mount the fan as a "pull" instead of a "push".
ie: on the other side of the HS

Edit: That fan isn't particularly good, dB or CFM (Cubic feet/Minute) wise for the RPM. I got some Scythe S-Flex series fans recently which were quite good. Nice and quiet, which is perfect for me. Doesn't glow blue, but the rest of my comp does and I'm kind of over it, so no problem for me.

qazwsxokmijn
12-11-2009, 08:01 PM
A friend just upgraded to a similar setup too, with Megahalems and Corsair memory. But I can't remember if he got the Dominator or normal XMS3.

Just BTW, what kickass video card are you engaging that system with? :D

wratterus
12-11-2009, 09:26 PM
At the moment, just a GTX 260. I'm going to wait till Nvidia release their new cards and then make a decision, on something massive. :D

I would kind of like an LED fan...but I could build a bridge over that. :p I really want a quiet PC this time around. :punk

http://www.computerlounge.co.nz/components/componentview.asp?partid=7148

I like the look of that one. Do the job you reckon? Not as quiet as the S-Flex but still a helluva lot better than the Antec fan.

qazwsxokmijn
12-11-2009, 09:38 PM
I really think the Antec TriCool is crap to mediocre. Its fan hub is huge. The fan blades are...meh and rather small for my liking. That creates a large deadspot in the center. I reckon coverage-wise for a heatsink/rad it's no good. Probably a decent performer for air-moving at 2000rpm, but certainly not at 1200rpm.

I think I have a blue LED SilenX somewhere. Only thing is it makes a little rattling noise. You could have it for free if you want.

And man. GTX260 only? Wanna borrow my 5870? It's sitting unused under my bed, and will continue to do so until Christmas time when I'll be buying my i7 gear. :D

wratterus
12-11-2009, 09:42 PM
After doing a little bit of research I'd have to say I agree. It's an overpriced piece of crap fan. Thanks for the offer :thumbs: but she'll be right - I plan on doing this build properly, I reckon it's the same as the old saying, "A builder's house is never finished". "A tech's PC is never finished". Hoepfully it will be different this time. :D

Brooko
12-11-2009, 10:52 PM
Wrat - have you considered this:
http://www.computerlounge.co.nz/components/componentview.asp?partid=10297
Corsair H50

Computer Lounge have a demo version in their clearance stock for $119 (one only) which makes it kind of attractive compared to air cooling. I haven't used one - but the reviews don't look too bad.

For a cheap water set-up, but from a good parts manufacturer, it doesn't look 1/2 bad - and would help the space issues.

Thebananamonkey
12-11-2009, 11:10 PM
The problem with those tiny closed loop water cooled systems is that they ONLY cool the CPU.

Something like the Megahalems is going to draw enough air through to cool your RAM and enough spilling out the side to do something for your NB too. Often the fans they include are loud and fairly crap. Something like the Megahalems may actually make your CPU cooler too.

Toms have done lots of articles that you can look through if you're interested. The series is called "Big air vs. little water".

I think that 1600RPM is about the sweetspot for noise/airflow. My fans are all 800RPM, because I'm obsessed with keeping it quiet, but there you go.

qazwsxokmijn
12-11-2009, 11:13 PM
The RAM won't need cooling, especially a DDR3 only at 1.65v. As for the NB I doubt the negligent amount of air flowing through the Megahalem helps much either.

I'd personally go for the Corsair H50 over any air-cooled solutions. Just set it as an intake fan over the radiator and you'd be sweet.

Agent_24
12-11-2009, 11:23 PM
If your RAM doesn't fit, just use a hacksaw. Might lose a few megabytes but you'll be fine.

wratterus
13-11-2009, 08:10 AM
:lol:

I've done my dash with water cooling, she's going to be all air this time around.

whellington
13-11-2009, 08:27 AM
The ram heatspreaders might be too big for the hsf when installed

I'd personally get the scythe fans over the antec tricool (unless your going for a blue themed rig)
http://www.computerlounge.co.nz/components/componentview.asp?partid=7155

Battleneter2
13-11-2009, 08:59 AM
Looking at my Prolimatech Megashadow which is exactly the same cooler but black. I hoenstly think the CPU socket is closer to the ram on that ASUS P7P55D PRO than my Gigabyte.

Keep in mind you also will need to attach a couple of fans, and the clips to hold on the fans also pretrude a little. You may end up with a fan sitting slightly on top of the ram if you get what I mean, not the end of the world but not overly desirable.

SolMiester
13-11-2009, 09:09 AM
Does it have different mounting bracket as it appears to be for 775 or 1366 only and you have linked P55 ASUS board!?

Battleneter2
13-11-2009, 09:11 AM
They have 1 bracket with diff holes, the Megashadow can do 1156, so pretty sure that one will.

wratterus
13-11-2009, 09:17 AM
Yeah there's a separate bracket. I've gone ahead and got the lot anyway, I'm just gonna measure the RAM up before taking it out of the packaging, and if it's not going to work I'll get something without the heat spreaders on it. :)

Battleneter2
13-11-2009, 09:21 AM
Just lube up the ram, it will be sweet :)

pctek
13-11-2009, 09:31 AM
Wanna borrow my 5870? It's sitting unused under my bed, and will continue to do so until Christmas time when I'll be buying my i7 gear. :D

That's silly. Sure the old CPU will bottleneck it to a point but use it now.

qazwsxokmijn
13-11-2009, 12:41 PM
That's silly. Sure the old CPU will bottleneck it to a point but use it now.
A Celeron 440? :lol:

My E8600/4GB/4870 are off to a new home next week, so I have some crappy 440/2GB/2400 Pro to tide me over to i7 at Christmas!

Gobe1
13-11-2009, 01:33 PM
A Celeron 440? :lol:

My E8600/4GB/4870 are off to a new home next week, so I have some crappy 440/2GB/2400 Pro to tide me over to i7 at Christmas!

Noooooooooooooooo
Dont think i could put up with that :dogeye:

wratterus
13-11-2009, 01:35 PM
Aww man. :dogeye:

qazwsxokmijn
13-11-2009, 01:38 PM
Lol gee thanks for the sympathy :lol: