PDA

View Full Version : Beware if you're using a modded Xbox

Speedy Gonzales
12-11-2009, 12:19 PM
And you're using pirated games on it. You'll be banned (http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/technology/8354166.stm) if you go online, to pay them

Battleneter2
12-11-2009, 02:33 PM
There are ways around it, without going into detail.

also ""Industry figures suggest that piracy may cost the video game industry as much as 750m a year.""

There is a assumption that EVERY pirated game would have been purchased therefor its lost money. Of course in reality maybe only 10% of piracy is a loss, as many people cannot simply afford to buy games or happy to pirate a game for free but never want it enough to buy it.

Its no excuse for Piracy but there calculations are very very flawed.

Microsoft also ow a degree of gratitude for piracy, its one of the reasons Xbox360 has outsold PS3, this may be hugely debatable but there has got to be some truth to it.

Speedy Gonzales
12-11-2009, 02:37 PM
Probably is besides buying another Xbox. Altho the people who have complained / found out, they've been banned, on the Xbox site, dont know what it is :lol: Most of them have been told its not reversible (unless they provide the ID/serial) of the Xbox, and if theyre wrong, well, it'll be worse. Good thing, I dont play online. If mine was modded, I'd blame Netguide. Since thats where it came from (c/o MS in Oz)

Battleneter2
12-11-2009, 02:44 PM
No sorry I mean there are ways not to get banned in the first place lol.

Think MS are shooting themselves in the foot a little. Many people pirate and buy games, they will loose those people imo.

Speedy Gonzales
12-11-2009, 02:48 PM
lol well yeah dont mod it easy. Or dont go online. Or dont turn it on. Or sell it. Let some other sucker get banned lol

pctek
12-11-2009, 04:20 PM
many people cannot simply afford to buy games or happy to pirate a game for free but never want it enough to buy it.

Hmm. If they don't want it, then they don't want it. If they do perhaps they should BUY it. I buy mine sometimes full NZ price here but sometimes overseas for a lot cheaper. So price isn't really much of an excuse.

I can't afford a RollsRoyce but you don't see me stealing one do you?

CYaBro
12-11-2009, 05:10 PM
I can't afford a RollsRoyce but you don't see me stealing one do you?

No because then the person you stole it from wouldn't have it any more. :eek:
If you pirate a game the original owner still has their copy.

Agent_24
12-11-2009, 11:22 PM
You are not actually taking anything so how can it be stealing?

Perhaps if they gave people what they wanted, no DRM, no STEAM, CHEAPER prices...

Thebananamonkey
12-11-2009, 11:47 PM
Calling it stealing isn't telling the whole story, but there's no way of calling it ethical, that's for sure. I've downloaded a few pirated games, but for the most part I pay for them.

I've only ever pirated games that I didn't want enough to buy, but was curious about.

Thebananamonkey
12-11-2009, 11:51 PM
You are not actually taking anything so how can it be stealing?

Perhaps if they gave people what they wanted, no DRM, no STEAM, CHEAPER prices...

Have you ever seen the credits at the end of a video game? They can go for hours (or at least it feels like it)! Who's supposed to pay them?

It's called capitalism and it's how our society works. You pay money to them, they make a product worth paying for, they pay their employees who in turn buy products from other people. The idea is that eventually one of those people employs you.

Agent_24
13-11-2009, 12:19 AM
Meanwhile the publishers like the record companies are taking most of the profit, the guys who actually developed the game or wrote the music don't get much at all, and then have the nerve to tell you when you pirate a CD you are ripping off the artist. WRONG.

I am ripping off the record label, who was ripping off the artist long before I bought a CD burner.

And then they try to justify that by telling you how much it cost for the latest anti-piracy idea.

Funny thing though, I haven't seen anything that couldn't be pirated somehow.

So I have 2 ideas:

1) STOP COPY PROTECTING EVERYTHING. It doesn't work and you waste money inventing new ways to annoy the hell out of people who actually bought the game.

2) Bring prices down, how about all games $25? I know they would see a substantial increase in sales. One of the ways to do this is to do (1) as outlined above.

Thebananamonkey
13-11-2009, 12:32 AM
Have you got any idea how much some developers get paid?

Also, studios only make money from artists that sell. For every CD that does well the studio has backed a fair amount that don't. It's an expensive industry and that's why you pay lots of money for it.

An artist gets paid a stipend per CD sold. Depending on contracts it may only be $2 per CD, but that's still money you're depriving from the artist. There's no getting around that.

As far as I'm concerned, for the amount of hours I get out of most of the games I play, they're well worth it. More economical per hour played than books or movies by far.

As for the $25 per game. If it worked, they'd be doing it by now. There are these things called MBAs and, for the most part, all of the senior management in these corporations have them.

CYaBro
13-11-2009, 06:25 AM
The problem I find with buying most of the more expensive games is that they often turn out to be duds, or boring and not very exciting to play.
Can I get my money back or at least some of it? No way.
I've often got more entertainment out of a free online game than a lot of the so called big budget games.

Battleneter2
13-11-2009, 09:18 AM
Have you got any idea how much some developers get paid?

Also, studios only make money from artists that sell. For every CD that does well the studio has backed a fair amount that don't. It's an expensive industry and that's why you pay lots of money for it.

An artist gets paid a stipend per CD sold. Depending on contracts it may only be $2 per CD, but that's still money you're depriving from the artist. There's no getting around that.

As far as I'm concerned, for the amount of hours I get out of most of the games I play, they're well worth it. More economical per hour played than books or movies by far.

As for the $25 per game. If it worked, they'd be doing it by now. There are these things called MBAs and, for the most part, all of the senior management in these corporations have them.

You are 100% correct, but there is an assumption everything pirated would have been brought. I have NP buying the odd game when its good, usually is good value.

There is the old gem, if you are a developer and someone would NEVER buy your game as they are on 12 bucks an hour with a family to feed, would you prefer they pirate your game and enjoy it or never know anything about it?

pctek
13-11-2009, 09:32 AM
expensive games often turn out to be duds, or boring and not very exciting to play.

Which is why you download the playable demo first.

viperviperviper006
13-11-2009, 09:36 AM
if games were sold for $25 we wouldn't see any of the large budget games such as fallout, call of duty and gears for war as there would be no incentive with profit margins being so low.
It is steeling and good job to whoever this happens to. downloading pirated games is no different than walking into a shop and stuffing them down your pants. If i was Microsoft i wouldn't be banning these people id trace their address and send the lawyers knocking and charge these teenage nerds for everything there got.
Oh and as for trying a game before you buy it why not rent it. thats cheap and not illegal.

razzarphenix
13-11-2009, 09:38 AM
The only problem I have is. I've always thought some of the modded consoles have great features so I think its a bit suck if you get locked out just for modding your xbox particularly if your not pirating games.

I've never personally put a mod chip on any of the consoles I've owned however with pc games I quite like the no cd patches so you dont have to listen to the DVD drive vibrate while your playing a game you legally own.

Trev
13-11-2009, 09:42 AM
This piracy thing and the developers moaning about it and how it will ruin them has been going on as long as I have had computers (1985) and before. Do we still have developers ? yes do we still have pirates ? yes.
:)

Battleneter2
13-11-2009, 10:08 AM
if games were sold for $25 we wouldn't see any of the large budget games such as fallout, call of duty and gears for war as there would be no incentive with profit margins being so low.
It is steeling and good job to whoever this happens to. downloading pirated games is no different than walking into a shop and stuffing them down your pants. If i was Microsoft i wouldn't be banning these people id trace their address and send the lawyers knocking and charge these teenage nerds for everything there got.
Oh and as for trying a game before you buy it why not rent it. thats cheap and not illegal.

You have a very old fashion closed mind view on this issue, as for teenage nerds? I have known many people well into there 30's and 40's that buy games and also pirate, OH and have known a few cops for the record.

Piracy is no where near as damaging as the hyterical media often report. If someone would have never purchased the product for what ever reason and pirate it, the loss to the industry is $0.

viperviperviper006
13-11-2009, 06:50 PM
[QUOTE=Battleneter2;839028]You have a very old fashion closed mind view on this issue, as for teenage nerds? I have known many people well into there 30's and 40's that buy games and also pirate, OH and have known a few cops for the record.

then they are 30, 40 year old and cop nerds.

I say nerds because i don't believe a casual user would go to such lengths to pirate games.

And with your thoughts about the loss of income perhaps we should all start stealing from the shops things that we were not going to buy anyway. after all if we didn't steal it we wouldn't buy it so the makers still would make no money.

The fact of the matter is it is stealing and thieves contribute nothing to society and so should be dealt to.

Now to those who have been banned get of the couch and into sport, something you can talk to your family and friends with pride about whle getting healthier..

Moral of Post: Play sport (gaming isn't a sport)

Battleneter2
13-11-2009, 07:41 PM
cough troll, cough cough cough

gary67
13-11-2009, 08:26 PM
Pirates should be banned just as MS is doing, until legal methods of acquiring downloads come at a fair price

mikebartnz
13-11-2009, 08:30 PM

I assume you are talking about music here. Did you hear about the guy (I think Scottish) who put a song of his on facebook and some studio put a take down notice on it claiming copyright. Trouble was they had no right and it turns out they or another studio had been infringing on his copyright. They really need to get their act together.

CYaBro
13-11-2009, 10:50 PM
Which is why you download the playable demo first.

I see that as being like a trailer for a movie.
They usually stick the best parts in there in the hope that you will spend your money on it.

CYaBro
13-11-2009, 11:15 PM
And with your thoughts about the loss of income perhaps we should all start stealing from the shops things that we were not going to buy anyway. after all if we didn't steal it we wouldn't buy it so the makers still would make no money.

And that's the problem the studios have, pirating, while it is stealing, is not the same as physically stealing something from a shop or wherever.
And the pirates see it as a victimless crime.
If you go in to a shop and steal something then the shop has lost something they payed for and now can't sell it so they suffer a loss.
When you pirate a game, or whatever, you aren't physically taking something from someone else so they can no longer enjoy it as they still have their game or CD.

Greg
14-11-2009, 05:42 AM
Dunno how many times I've had to say this - copying movies or audio tracks isn't stealing. It's copyright infringement, which isn't theft - it's a civil matter.

On-selling the recordings could be construed as theft, but piracy in itself isn't.