PDA

View Full Version : RAM Upgrade

dagangsta
11-11-2009, 04:00 PM
:mad:My HP pavillion DV5 1004AX starts up and logs in very very slowly.
It has Vista with 2GB of ram. I have got rid of most start up items in msconfig but it is still slow.
Should I buy 1 GB of ram?
If so where can I buy it? and what type?

I have had the computer for nearly one year.
I might install windows 7 fresh but I want to stay with vista for a while.

Thanks...

CYaBro
11-11-2009, 04:16 PM
Honestly I don't think adding another 1GB of RAM, when you already have 2GB, will make much difference to Vista.
If it were me I would invest the RAM money in an upgrade of Windows 7 instead.

dagangsta
11-11-2009, 04:21 PM
In a fresh upgrade? or an upgrade that takes all files with it?

CYaBro
11-11-2009, 04:23 PM
In a fresh upgrade? or an upgrade that takes all files with it?

A fresh install is always best for a new operating system.

dagangsta
11-11-2009, 04:26 PM
Is it best to install 64bit windows 7 or 32bit?
If i install 64 bit will I have to upgrade ram?
thanks

dagangsta
11-11-2009, 04:29 PM
And how can I make my pc faster without buying anything yet?
Thanks again...

Sweep
11-11-2009, 04:31 PM
Do a new install of Vista.

CYaBro
11-11-2009, 04:38 PM
Is it best to install 64bit windows 7 or 32bit?
If i install 64 bit will I have to upgrade ram?
thanks

With only 2GB of RAM I would just do a 32-bit install.
You really only need 64-bit if you have 4GB or more.

Chris09
11-11-2009, 04:40 PM
Do a fresh install of Vista for a start +1

Why do people use Misconfig? It only shows 70% of programs, and is only meant for a temporary solution to fixing problems.

Use AutoRuns, far better and easier to use. Also shows ALL start up programs.

Get rid of any of the Side-Bar products. They are certainly a load for Vista.

MAKE SURE the wallpaper you are using is not in the mbs..... try and make it smaller if you can, by converting to a JPEG, or sizing it down. They can be a problem if so.

Depending on your Anti-Virus, some are laggy with their scans, both booting and shutting down. Perhaps finding a few tweaks in their options so they are not scanning every 5 secs might help.

Also registry cleaning.. everyone cries about that, but it really makes a difference. You have 800 errors, once fixed you are sure to notice a difference. I suggest Registry Mechanic.

Other than that, nothing too much more you can do. There are other tweaks and bits in pieces but it gets a bit complicated.

If that's not enough, google it. =D

Good luck.

Paul.Cov
12-11-2009, 12:30 PM
Hey, just another thought - it's not clear if your system has gradually got slower, or suddenly got slower.

If it's a sudden drop in speed starting your OS, then you need to question whether it's a HDD dying, or a driver problem.

Otherwise, just go with the advice from earlier posters.

SolMiester
12-11-2009, 12:41 PM
Do a fresh install of Vista for a start +1

Why do people use Misconfig? It only shows 70% of programs, and is only meant for a temporary solution to fixing problems.

Use AutoRuns, far better and easier to use. Also shows ALL start up programs.

Get rid of any of the Side-Bar products. They are certainly a load for Vista.

MAKE SURE the wallpaper you are using is not in the mbs..... try and make it smaller if you can, by converting to a JPEG, or sizing it down. They can be a problem if so.

Depending on your Anti-Virus, some are laggy with their scans, both booting and shutting down. Perhaps finding a few tweaks in their options so they are not scanning every 5 secs might help.

Also registry cleaning.. everyone cries about that, but it really makes a difference. You have 800 errors, once fixed you are sure to notice a difference. I suggest Registry Mechanic.

Other than that, nothing too much more you can do. There are other tweaks and bits in pieces but it gets a bit complicated.

If that's not enough, google it. =D

Good luck.I was with you until you mentioned registry cleaner...LOL, why do people use them, they are dangerous in the wrong hands....LOL