PDA

View Full Version : 64bit OS and drivers

CCF
10-11-2009, 06:31 PM
Hey ya all

Just wondering, with 64bit OS, what sort of 64bit drivers would I need for the OS to run with no problem. Im assuming 64bit drivers, LAN, video and sound is a must, but what about other misc devices, eg scanners, printers, webcams, tv tuners etc. Can you still use 32bits drivers for those devices in a 64bit OS environment. I know 64bit OS is backward compatible with 32bit apps but unsure of drivers.

Much appreciated.

Thebananamonkey
10-11-2009, 06:41 PM
I've been 64bit for 2 years and haven't had any problems with not being able to find 64bit drivers for my hardware/peripherals. The only hardware/driver problems I've had have been because drivers hadn't been written for Vista, regardless of 32/64.

Speedy Gonzales
10-11-2009, 06:42 PM
Everything (devices/peripherals, whatever is onboard), MUST have 64 bit drivers, or it wont work. Except programs. Since 64 bit can run 32 (some 32 bit programs arent compatible with 64 bit as well) and 64 bit programs. You just have to make sure your system / CPU supports 64 bit. Straight from the horses mouth (http://support.microsoft.com/kb/946765)

CCF
10-11-2009, 08:26 PM
Damn, then it sounds like a hassle moving from 32bit to 64bit. Personally I have quite a bit of odd misc devices, finding 32bits drivers for them had already been a pain let alone 64bits.

Just another quick question. If I run a 64bit OS in VMware and VMware is running on 32bit OS, I take it that regardless I would not be able to utilize the additional ram or 64bit features in the 64bit OS environment?

gary67
10-11-2009, 08:47 PM
Do it the other way round run 64bit OS and a 32bit VM would give you the best of both worlds, such as XP mode in win 7 sort of designed with this in mind

Speedy Gonzales
10-11-2009, 09:15 PM
It probably wont run in VM 32 bit. Win7 x64 can, or will install most drivers. The only driver I had to install on this were the tuner drivers. I would check the manufacturer's site for win7 64 bit drivers, before you decide to go to 64 bit (If this is the OS youre going to use)

pctek
11-11-2009, 08:59 AM
t what about other misc devices, eg scanners, printers, webcams, tv tuners etc.
Can you still use 32bits drivers for those devices .

Yes you need them for everything.
No you can't use 32bit ones.

MS isn't too bad about including drivers now BUT. If it doesn't work and there aren't any 64bit drivers specifically for your device, then you are stuck with replacing it.

I found this with one of my printers. It would print, MS reported it's driver as being fine, but it would print crazily - one giant text line per page etc.

CCF
11-11-2009, 10:21 PM
Oh man, I guess moving onto 32bit isnt that easy, guess like I'll just stick with 32bit OS. But I may give that 64OS and 32bit OS in VMware a run when I get some time. With a beefy, vmware shouldnt run too bad.

Much appreciated everyone.

Chilling_Silence
12-11-2009, 07:02 AM
Nah give 64-bit a try if you've got a spare hour and a CPU that supports it.
You can confirm it supports it by going here: http://www.grc.com/securable.htm

It's not terribly difficult to simply reinstall 32-bit Win7 over the top, as Windows 7 moves all your old files in to a windows.old folder during setup so you don't go losing anything :)

JJJJJ
12-11-2009, 07:58 AM
I was almost scared off 64 bit by all the comments about lack of drivers etc. But as I have 12 gigs of ram I was determined to use it all.
My first attempt was with win 7 beta. The download and installation was so easy I forgot all about drivers. The program advised me a couple of times it was looking for drivers and that was all.
Ulimately I discovered there were no drivers for "Flash Player" and Vista 64 bit did not work on my G15 Keyboard or my HP 1600 colour laserjet.
But on the day win 7 was released the correct drivers were released as well.
So if anyone is wavering over trying 64 bit I would say, "get it".
It is faster and smoother than 32 and you have the ability to use all your ram.
As an aside I still don't use my 12 gigs of ram. My system tells me that it is useing up to 6 gigs and that I have another 6 gigs "available".
Jack

pctek
12-11-2009, 08:33 AM
Yeah there isn't many things that will be a problem - just old peripherals really.