PDA

View Full Version : EXCEL Linking Problem(new thread)

Colpol
10-11-2009, 03:02 PM
Following Sols advise I am restarting this thread,

I Have a speadsheet with 5 duty rosters, each on its own Sheet.
The sixth sheet is a master that includes all 5 rosters.(They are not merged just displayed one under the other).
THEY DO NOT CONTAIN FIGURES ONLY NAMES, SYMBOLS AND FORMATING
Is it possible to link them so that changes to any of the 5 rosters is automatically reflected in the Master in Sheet 6
Hope this makes sense

SolMiester
10-11-2009, 03:32 PM
Well mate, this ones a little different.....what you can do is just put =sheet1!A1....whatever is in that cell, should be reflected back to the cell in sheet 6.....an easier why to do it is copy the data in sheet 1 and then paste link to where you want it in sheet 6.....if the sheets in 1 thru 5 are showing data horizontally, then you can see all data at once...you get paste link from doing paste special and click the paste link button...

Colpol
10-11-2009, 05:15 PM
Thanks for your patients Sol.
Making progress. I Paste Special and paste link. Paste link only works with the "all" option but all does not copy formats, fonts or column widths.
Is there a way around that?

fred_fish
10-11-2009, 05:22 PM
Right click again -> Paste Special -> Formats
Right click again -> Paste Special -> Column Widths

:)

Colpol
10-11-2009, 05:46 PM
Right click again -> Paste Special -> Formats
Right click again -> Paste Special -> Column Widths

:)

Thanks Fred.
Getting there. Colours, column widths and fonts correct.
Now all squares that do not have something in them(blank on the original) has a folder symbol that I don't want. If i try to get rid of the symbol by clearing contents, the squares loses the link.
(Thank goodness for the undo)