PDA

View Full Version : Installing and partitioning a new hard drive

Krad
10-11-2009, 01:00 PM
I've bought a Seagate Free Agent external hard drive and are about to connect it via the USB port. I want to partition the drive for backups, video, photos and music using Parted Magic the open source program. First i need to make a bootable CD from the Parted Magic iso file and then use it to start the program. Can anyone help with advice on using Parted Magic and installing the new drive? The advertising says just connect it up and it's ready to go.

Speedy Gonzales
10-11-2009, 01:22 PM
Go into control panel / admin tools / computer management / disk management. If it appears here, format it

johnd
10-11-2009, 06:53 PM
Parted magic is a great tool - but to do the job you want (as Speedy says) all you need to do is use the Disk Management tool with MS Windows.

Paul.Cov
11-11-2009, 09:30 AM
Yes, if you boot to Parted Magic will it have the USB drivers you need to talk to this new drive?

Krad
11-11-2009, 10:50 AM
Thanks guys. There was software on the new drive with installer and Seagate Manager so it installed easily. It is Windows XP Home Edition I've got. Are you saying that I can partition the drive using Admin tools - Disk Management? If so are the instructions somewhere there or do I have to google for them? I've made a bootable cd of Gparted I can use - would that have the same problem re USB drivers?

Speedy Gonzales
11-11-2009, 10:52 AM
It is Windows XP Home Edition I've got. Are you saying that I can partition the drive using Admin tools - Disk Management? If so are the instructions somewhere there or do I have to google for them?

If it appears there, right mouse on it. You dont need instructions to click on the right mouse

johnd
11-11-2009, 12:48 PM
I've made a bootable cd of Gparted I can use - would that have the same problem re USB drivers?
I would be surprised if Gparted did not just work with it's inbuilt USB drivers.

Krad
11-11-2009, 03:18 PM
If it appears there, right mouse on it. You dont need instructions to click on the right mouse

Well I've studied the Disk Management Help re partitioning the new drive AND I've right-clicked on the new drive F unallocated space as instructed BUT nowhere can I see New Volume to click on to get the New Volume Wizard! Google doesn't help either. This is what I see
Free Agent Drive F Partition Basic Healthy (Active) 931.51 GB NTFS
and on the right click menu - Open /Explore /Change Drive Letter and Paths/
Format/Delete Partition/Properties/ Help

So what to do now?

KarameaDave
11-11-2009, 03:28 PM
So the disk has 1 partition NTFS?
If you desire to create more than one
you will need to either shrink or delete that one.
Then you can create other partitions.
Of course you could just create Folders in the partition
and name them Backup, Video etc, no real need to create separate
partitions.

Speedy Gonzales
11-11-2009, 03:31 PM
Well select format first (if you havent yet). Or if its formatted, partition it into so many partitions, of whatever size

seopositive2
11-11-2009, 08:22 PM
Window XP OS is the best for installing and partitioning.

johnd
11-11-2009, 08:46 PM
Window XP OS is the best for installing and partitioning.

Depends entirely what you mean by "best" - the XP Disk Management tool will not let you resize a partition - Parted Magic will but so will Vista and W7 Disk Management.

Krad
12-11-2009, 02:50 PM
Hi Karamea, There is one NTFS partition BUT on Disk Management I cannot find how to make the partitions. That is the problem. If you cannot use Disk Management to make partitions will someone please tell me and I will try Gparted. I do not want just one partition with separate folders as if one area of the disk fails it is useless but with partitions one can still use the good partitions.

Krad
12-11-2009, 02:53 PM
Speedy, The disk is formatted and ready to use but I want to partition it. Can I do this with Disk Management or not. If not I'll try Gparted.

Speedy Gonzales
12-11-2009, 03:02 PM
Just use gparted.

KarameaDave
12-11-2009, 03:16 PM
Fair enough, you can make them with Disk Management,
First Delete the existing partition,right click on the partition and select Delete Partition, then right click on the unallocated space you have just created and select New Partition,
The wizard will appear
Click next,
select Primary or Extended (any partition above 4 and you will need to make
the 4th an Extended Partition and create the others above 4 inside it)
Click next,
select what size you want,
Click next,
assign a letter to it,
Click next,
select what Format you desire from the drop down list (recommend NTFS)
and assign a label if you want (Videos etc)
Click next, and it should make the partition and format it!
Then make the next one and so on.

Krad
13-11-2009, 09:43 AM
Thanks for the clear instructions and good advice. I'll try GParted for a start to see how easy it is (for future reference) or Disk Management. Will let you know what I find. Cheers!

Krad
14-11-2009, 08:48 AM
Thanks for the clear instructions and good advice. I'll try GParted for a start to see how easy it is (for future reference) or Disk Management. Will let you know what I find. Cheers!

Success! Partitioning done through Disk Management - Thanks for the detailed instructions Wratterus, much appreciated. I tried out Gparted but the instructions were not so clear. Problem solved.