PDA

View Full Version : Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 2 - Connection in NZ

WarNox
10-11-2009, 12:14 PM
Hey!

Well I've been looking forward to this game coming out for a while now but since there is no dedicated servers was wondering what the connection is like from NZ? In case anyone's already gone out and got it :)

Thanks,

Gregor

Trev
10-11-2009, 01:22 PM
I play NFS Shift online the server I think is in the US and have people joining from Russia Europe UK with no problems. My ADSL connection is Max up and down.
:)

SolMiester
10-11-2009, 01:54 PM
Trev, what wheel are using for shift, my momo brake pedal is causing the controller to cycle thru options so looking to buy another!

WarNox
10-11-2009, 03:42 PM
I might wait a few days till a few more people have got the actual game and then i'll see. ping of 60-100ish is ok for fps but not much higher and i can't see how we can manage that with nz's current infrastructure, given that the fastest physical connection would be 50ms, distance limited.

Chris09
10-11-2009, 05:32 PM
I wouldn't be too sharp on buying it straight away. Personally I'm not buying it, getting rid of the dedicated servers was a bad idea, and now those mix and matches are only 9 by 9 players, which is absolutely ridiculous. I don't think they've got their heads turned on properly.

Anyway, I would imagine at least 100ping + based on our infrastructure and based on the games like Rainbow 6 Vagas 2, and Empire at War where the servers are in the US or Europe.

If in doubt, borrow from a friend first and see before you purchase it. :P

Trev
10-11-2009, 06:08 PM
Trev, what wheel are using for shift, my momo brake pedal is causing the controller to cycle thru options so looking to buy another!
I use an old MS FF wheel. Can't buy them any more. No problems, but had to set it up myself as it is not supported by NFS Shift.

WarNox
10-11-2009, 11:38 PM
Well turns out I did get it. I'll just post in case anyone cares. With my Orcon adsl2+ I get a 'green' connection, they no longer tell you what the ping is. But it's around 100 as thats what it tries to find.

Not too much lag, noticeable every so often but not much. It sort of cool with less players and lower kills, each kill means much more :) although I will miss 40 players on a tiny map...

whellington
11-11-2009, 07:27 AM
I play NFS Shift online the server I think is in the US and have people joining from Russia Europe UK with no problems. My ADSL connection is Max up and down.

EA nation account? keen for a game?

I use an xbox 360 controller lol

Metla
11-11-2009, 08:07 AM
I use a Logitech Driving Force Pro for Shift, and all other racing games. Its a PS2 wheel, Released in conjuction with one of the Gran Turismo games, Even has a Gran Turismo badge on her.

Works perfectly on the PC, and Shift even has a profile for it by default.

Now all they need to do is fix the game and I can get back into playing it.

http://www.trademe.co.nz/Gaming/PlayStation/Accessories/Other/auction-252846825.htm

Trev
11-11-2009, 08:16 AM
Whats wrong with the game. Works perfectly for me.

Metla
11-11-2009, 08:26 AM
Runs bad on ATI cards, and no matter what you turn off/down it never gets better. Stutter due to low FPS makes it unplayable.

Patch 2

Coming at the end of November will be a second patch released for Need for Speed SHIFT. This patch brings with it many bug fixes and even performance improvements in several areas. AMD has stated all along that it did not feel its new video cards were delivering the kind of performance it should in this game. This new patch, plus a new video card driver, will solve this problem.

The changelog for the patch is found here. Among those bountiful bug fixes comes a general stability improvement and performance improvements, such as better dynamic vertex buffer performance and improved multi-GPU operation. There is even a specific improvement of ATI graphics card support.