PDA

View Full Version : Printer Sharing w/PCLOS & XP?

SurferJoe46
10-11-2009, 06:25 AM
I have a router and through it both puters are seeing each other.

One has PCLOS and the other has XP-P. The printer is associate with the XP unit. I want to let PCLOS to be able to print directly without having to send them to the XP puter first.

I tried sharing via the XP unit but I just get error messages when I try to print from the PCLOS.

fred_fish
10-11-2009, 08:07 AM
I just get error messages when I try to print from the PCLOS.
There must be something wrong with your setup. :)

SurferJoe46
10-11-2009, 08:17 AM
There must be something wrong with your setup. :)

Dear Mister Fish:

You have NO idea of the troubles I can bring to the surface in things "L" and I am sure that this is again the case here too.

I know it's ME - but I am just fishing (pun intended) for a hint on where to go (be kind) and what to do once I get there.

I can tell stories - but I'll leave that dog unkicked for now.

Blam
10-11-2009, 09:18 AM
I have a router and through it both puters are seeing each other.

One has PCLOS and the other has XP-P. The printer is associate with the XP unit. I want to let PCLOS to be able to print directly without having to send them to the XP puter first.

I tried sharing via the XP unit but I just get error messages when I try to print from the PCLOS.

Did you setup the WinXP printer sharing correctly? Right Click printer>sharing>sharing tab

Follow the steps shown here, make sure you have the workgroup configured
http://pclosmag.com/html/Issues/200803/page02.html

Blam

SurferJoe46
10-11-2009, 09:43 AM
I wondered about a "workgroup" in PCLOS.

Is there the capacity to assign one to it too?

fred_fish
10-11-2009, 09:48 AM
The error messages are there to tell you what is wrong.

Sometimes they may not be very enlightening if you don't know what they mean, but posting exactly what the error messages say greatly helps someone to help you. Saves a lot of guessing and false starts.

KarameaDave
10-11-2009, 12:03 PM
Blam has given you a good link, it explains it all.

SurferJoe46
10-11-2009, 02:07 PM
Did you setup the WinXP printer sharing correctly? Right Click printer>sharing>sharing tab

Follow the steps shown here, make sure you have the workgroup configured
http://pclosmag.com/html/Issues/200803/page02.html

Blam

Here's where the wheels fall off for me - - - - -

CONFIGURE SAMBA

you need to readjust your hostname.
"localhost" is not a correct hostname for a DNS server
Hostname must be a FQDN

I need to understand what I just copied and posted here. Any translators available?

I never touched or so much as looked at Samba and I am lost as to how to readjust my hostname. There are now (and will be in the very near future), other questions.

johnd
10-11-2009, 08:01 PM
There are two parts to SAMBA - the server and the client. The above instructions apply to server setup. To print to a Windows printer you do not need the SMB server. As long as the client is installed and running it should work.