09-11-2009, 04:07 PM
My Win 7's Experience Index Ratings are:

Processor : 7.1
Memory : 7.1
Graphich : 7.3
Gaming Graphic : 7.3
Primary HDD : 5.9
(Disk Data Transfer rate)

I'm wandering why my Primary HDD's rating is only 5.9 which brings down the overall rating to 5.9. I have a brand new WD 1 TB Green HDD installed, and I thought this new HDD should be reasonably fast.

Is there a way to increase (or improve) the performance rating? What HDD to use in order to score a higher rating?

fred_fish
09-11-2009, 04:08 PM
A faster one :)

The Green models go slower but use less power, hence the green designation.

whellington
09-11-2009, 04:21 PM
I don't think you can get over 5.9 without an SSD

bk T
09-11-2009, 04:26 PM
A faster one :)

The Green models go slower but use less power, hence the green designation.

Are you saying that this WD green HDD is so slow as to bring down the overall score by so much?

And what make and model do you reckon will boost the performance score?

fred_fish
09-11-2009, 04:31 PM
The 'black' ones are faster. As for other makes there is a fairly wide range, but you would need to check the specs of any you are interested in.

At the end of the day the 'Experience Index Rating' is just a number.
What is YOUR 'Experience' like, acceptable or not?

viperviperviper006
09-11-2009, 04:53 PM
A SSD will bring up the performance. you wont get to much more points from a HDD.

pctek
09-11-2009, 06:50 PM
Primary HDD : 5.9
I have a brand new WD 1 TB Green HDD installed, and I thought this new HDD should be reasonably fast.

Is there a way to increase (or improve) the performance rating? ?

Don't fuss. It's only Microsofts rating. Who cares.

Blam
09-11-2009, 08:35 PM
Are you saying that this WD green HDD is so slow as to bring down the overall score by so much?

And what make and model do you reckon will boost the performance score?

The Overall score is the lowest score in any of the categories....

A SSD will bring up the performance. you wont get to much more points from a HDD.

What about a Velociraptor?:D

I remember reading an article somewhere than the WEI sucked, and that its values didn't reflect typical usage at all.

As mentioned above, its just a number. Whether the PC satified your needs however is what you want to work out.

Blam

waldok
09-11-2009, 11:51 PM
Yeah I don't think people should get too fussed about the rating. Boiling down the performance of every PC in the world to just one number is never going to be perfect. ;)

I found a bit of explanation (http://blogs.msdn.com/e7/archive/2009/01/19/engineering-the-windows-7-windows-experience-index.aspx) about the thinking behind it on the Engineering 7 blog and there was also a guideline for how to interpret the numbers here (http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-vista/Windows-Experience-Index-Understand-and-improve-your-computers-performance-in-Windows-Vista).

In my mind it boils down to something like:
1 - "basic" web, email, office
3 - "average"
4 - great performance for most uses
6 - great performance for high-end uses
7 - "extreme"

My own PC is 4.9 with graphics as the lowest score, and it's super fast at everything I do but for some games I just don't max out the settings.

cheers
W

xyz823
10-11-2009, 06:47 AM
Yeah I don't think people should get too fussed about the rating. Boiling down the performance of every PC in the world to just one number is never going to be perfect. ;)

I found a bit of explanation (http://blogs.msdn.com/e7/archive/2009/01/19/engineering-the-windows-7-windows-experience-index.aspx) about the thinking behind it on the Engineering 7 blog and there was also a guideline for how to interpret the numbers here (http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-vista/Windows-Experience-Index-Understand-and-improve-your-computers-performance-in-Windows-Vista).

In my mind it boils down to something like:
1 - "basic" web, email, office
3 - "average"
4 - great performance for most uses
6 - great performance for high-end uses
7 - "extreme"

My own PC is 4.9 with graphics as the lowest score, and it's super fast at everything I do but for some games I just don't max out the settings.

cheers
W

I completely agree. My laptop only has a graphics rating of 4.6 but it can run fallout 3 on mediam settings and do everthing else uber quick!

pctek
10-11-2009, 08:41 AM
1.0 to 1.9
You can expect basic performance. The computer meets Windows Vista minimum requirements.
Work with productivity programs, web browsers, and e‑mail and instant-messaging programs. Play simple games.

2.0 to 2.9
You might begin to experience enhanced performance capabilities of Windows Vista, such as Windows Aero.
Run the same programs as the previous level but with better performance.

3.0 to 3.9
Windows Aero will typically be enabled automatically on the computer.
Run all programs from previous levels as well as some graphics-intensive games and most features of Windows Media Center.

4.0 to 4.9
The computer should perform well with high-resolution monitors and multiple monitors.
Run all programs from previous levels with excellent performance. Run Windows Media Center with high-definition video.

5.0 to 5.9
You can expect the highest performance level available.
Run all items from previous levels, games with ultra-rich graphics, three-dimensional modeling programs, and high-end video and multimedia programs.

Which tells you nothing about it's gaming capabilities.