PDA

View Full Version : Seagate or WD?

sammo450
09-11-2009, 02:43 PM
I'm looking at getting a 1TB HDD to replace my 320GB IDE Seagate drive. At the moment the Seagate 1TB drive and the WD Caviar Green 1TB are the same price on CL. My current WD Caviar Black vibrates a lot, even though it has the drive shaft fixed at both ends(apparently), so I'm not sure about WD's fancy technologies they advertise. Which is the better option?

pctek
09-11-2009, 03:24 PM
Either.
Although if you buy the Black WD you'll get 5 yrs warranty instead of 3.

whellington
09-11-2009, 03:34 PM
SAMSUNG SPINPOINT F3! Cheaper, faster and quieter than the WD black

hueybot3000
09-11-2009, 03:37 PM
I have a grudge against seagate so i suggest WD (been 100% reliable for me over the last 6 years)

Have also heard samsung drives are getting good too so worth looking at

WarNox
09-11-2009, 05:20 PM
+1 to Samsung F1's!! Got 2 of those and they're sweet as :)

robsonde
09-11-2009, 05:35 PM
most of the big names in hard drives are good.

people get hooked on a brand and stay with it until they have one fail, then they change brand :-)

I like seagate, only due to the 5 year warrenty.
but now the black WD do 5 years too.

as with many choices it depends on your needs.

do you need quite?
do you need fast?
do you need cheep?

I need quite and any cost, I dont care about speed.
some people need fast data access and are happy to have big noise.

some just want cheep, they can't afford any more than the basic drives.

with any hard drive, BACKUP!!
all drive fail, maybe not this year , maybe not next year..
but all drives fail.
so make sure you BACKUP!

pctek
09-11-2009, 06:49 PM
people get hooked on a brand and stay with it until they have one fail, then they change brand :-)

I like seagate, only due to the 5 year warrenty.
!

Well I stick with the ones with the lowest failure rate, and that isn't Samsung. Or Hitachi. Or Fujitsu.

Seagates do not have a 5 yr warranty anymore. Its 3.

Blam
09-11-2009, 08:33 PM
I'm looking at getting a 1TB HDD to replace my 320GB IDE Seagate drive. At the moment the Seagate 1TB drive and the WD Caviar Green 1TB are the same price on CL. My current WD Caviar Black vibrates a lot, even though it has the drive shaft fixed at both ends(apparently), so I'm not sure about WD's fancy technologies they advertise. Which is the better option?

Both are pretty quiet, and are fine for basic usage(not fast, much slower than your WD Black)

Either one is fine IMO.

rbland
09-11-2009, 11:00 PM
My cousins 1TB Drive died after a couple of months (Seagate I think). I heard Seagate's quality had fallen over the past few years.
The best place to look is www.newegg.com Search for the 1TB drives and look at what hard drive has the best user rating and best reviews. (there are usually hundreds of ratings). That should give you a clear image of performance and failure rate!

Hope that helps

pctek
10-11-2009, 08:43 AM
I heard Seagate's quality had fallen over the past few years.

They had an issue with the firmware on the bigger drives. Now fixed.

While they do vary in quality, HDDs are one of the few mechanical devices in a PC - and thus fail more often than some other components.

sammo450
11-11-2009, 09:28 AM
Do the dual processors on the WD Black make a big difference to performance? Quietness is important, I intend to mount my drives in rubber brackets. Thanks for all the advice guys, the final decision will come on payday :)

qazwsxokmijn
11-11-2009, 09:44 AM
Do the dual processors on the WD Black make a big difference to performance?
Just marketing stuff....the Blacks are nice drives, though. I've got the 640GB one and it's pretty fast. Though it's going to get replaced by an SSD in a month or two (curse you, Wratt for convincing me to buy one!!!!).

wratterus
11-11-2009, 09:46 AM
Muwahahaha. :D

Nah seriously, good on ya.

My lot should be on the way this week. :D

limepile
12-11-2009, 06:19 AM
Will I still be alive to be able to afford a 1Tb SSD ??

A man can dream can't he ?

bk T
12-11-2009, 10:17 AM
Will I still be alive to be able to afford a 1Tb SSD ??

A man can dream can't he ?

You maybe still kicking around with your denture.:D

Tbird650
13-11-2009, 10:13 AM
I had 2 new seagates tip over within a month of each other. I think it was the luck of the draw. Was relieved that the supplier replaced them both with WD though!

sammo450
18-11-2009, 02:53 PM
Well I'm trying to decide if the Caviar Black is worth the extra $30 over the Green and Barracuda. I don't plan on running an OS from it, so speed probably isn't crucial. My current IDE drive really doesn't like me playing music and ripping a DVD to it at the same time, I assume SATAII can handle that sort of load.

Agent_24
18-11-2009, 07:59 PM
At the moment the Seagate 1TB drive and the WD Caviar Green 1TB are the same price on CL.

I was in the same position, and since they're the same price, and the Seagate is faster, it was obvious.

SamFields
19-11-2009, 03:06 AM
They are basically the same thing. I've always preferred Seagate, and they never failed on me, and I think they are more quiet. So I'd go with them.

sammo450
19-11-2009, 02:22 PM
OK then looks like I'll go with Seagate. Thanks for the help guys.