PDA

View Full Version : Re: Perform a repair install of Windows XP

ianhnz
09-11-2009, 01:58 PM
Hi guys. Would seem that, once again, I'll have to do another Perform a repair install of Windows XP. Can I ask, oh learned ones, will this effect my Firefox and or printer setups? Thanks again, Ian.:thumbs::banana

Speedy Gonzales
09-11-2009, 02:04 PM
I think most programs will remain, however you may have to reinstall the windows updates

pctek
09-11-2009, 03:25 PM
Hi guys. Would seem that, once again, I'll have to do another Perform a repair install of Windows XP. will this effect my Firefox and or printer setups?

No. It replaces the Windows system files only.

SurferJoe46
09-11-2009, 04:56 PM
I think most programs will remain, however you may have to reinstall the windows updates

Hey Speed:

On this same subject - - - - - -

I want to do a repair installation too and was wondering if the previously installed Windows HotFixes and Up-dates and Service Packs will also be removed?

I would hate to think I'd have multiple duplicate copies of the same files all over again just taking up space.

I let CCleaner remove all the .exe and installation parts of the updates/fixes, etc - so they won't be there for NT-repair to take them out - right? I bet this deletes the "Removal" and "Delete" commands too - huh?

Sounds like running CCleaner might prove to be a problem later when someone wants to do the NT-repair.

Whatcha think?

fred_fish
09-11-2009, 05:28 PM
A repair install puts it back to the version on the CD it is run from.

Speedy Gonzales
09-11-2009, 05:33 PM
Hey Speed:

On this same subject - - - - - -

I want to do a repair installation too and was wondering if the previously installed Windows HotFixes and Up-dates and Service Packs will also be removed?

I would hate to think I'd have multiple duplicate copies of the same files all over again just taking up space.

I let CCleaner remove all the .exe and installation parts of the updates/fixes, etc - so they won't be there for NT-repair to take them out - right? I bet this deletes the "Removal" and "Delete" commands too - huh?

Sounds like running CCleaner might prove to be a problem later when someone wants to do the NT-repair.

Whatcha think?

Er well I've never done a repair myself. I've only read on sites, that the updates will have to be reinstalled.

SurferJoe46
09-11-2009, 05:34 PM
A repair install puts it back to the version on the CD it is run from.

I know that - but does it leave any crumbs from the previous installation?

Can it remove all the Hotfixes and the Updates and SP INSTALLATION or DELETION/REMOVAL commands and leftover code?

feersumendjinn
09-11-2009, 05:43 PM
A Repair Install will replace the system files with the files on the XP CD used for the Repair Install. It will leave your applications and settings intact, but Windows updates will need to be reapplied.

A Repair Install will replace files altered by adware and malware, but will not fix an adware, malware problem.
From 'ere
http://michaelstevenstech.com/XPrepairinstall.htm

ianhnz
09-11-2009, 07:03 PM
Thanks, guys. The main reason I was was that I bought a new printer, a few weeks back and had a real sod of a time installing it. Had to uninstall, run C Cleaner, about 3-4 times before the sodden thing would work. It's a scanner/copier/ printer and each time one part would work and not another part. Real pain, so you are saying I don't need to worry, in this case?

Speedy Gonzales
09-11-2009, 07:18 PM
Did you connect the printer (and turn it on), WHEN it told you to connect the USB cable, and turn the printer on?? You didnt leave the printer USB cable plugged in and turned on did you? Before you installed the software? Because thats what can happen., if you plug the printer in and turn it on, before it tells you to

ianhnz
09-11-2009, 08:42 PM
Hi Speedy. No I followed the directions, to the letter, each time I had to reload it. Works good now.. That's why I don't want to stuffed it up, again.