PDA

View Full Version : Samsung SCH-W531 Problem

yotpop
09-11-2009, 01:36 PM
I have one of these cellphones - supplied by Telecom in March 2007. It's had really light use, has never been dropped, damaged or dunked in water or even damp. It's recently developed a mind of it's own & refuses to function. When I turn it on, it alternates between the Telecom logo on a white background and then a plain green screen with the message, "Please Wait..." . The next screen then flashes, " about 1 minute". Those three screens then repeatedly flash away forever. The "End" button will not turn the phone off. To truly end the performance I have to remove the back and the battery.

Samsung are totally disinterested and so too are Telecom who have been sickeningly unhelpful which is why I've left them after 20 years. It seems a shame to throw this super little phone away because it's been so good until very recently - it even still has it's protective clear pvc.

I'd welcome any suggestions on plugging this into a PC and getting it up & running again. Having read some earlier postings, it seems that a 2 degrees SIM card would work in this phone, if the phone itself worked - and that would give my wife a far better phone than she has now.

Ultimately I may have to take my SCH-W531 out to sea and subject it to a float test but I'm reluctant to do that just yet. Any helpful suggestions would be sincerely & greatly appreciated.

hueybot3000
09-11-2009, 03:17 PM
Ive got one of those and tbh there is little chance of support, I couldnt find any info really about them except specs.

If you could get it going to the point you can reset to factory settings that might help

yotpop
09-11-2009, 05:03 PM
Many thanks. I wish I could do anything at all but I'm stuck with the "Please Wait" and "About 1 minute" screens. I've waited a lot longer than that. Oh for a Reset button! Looks like this one might sink in the end. Cheers anyway

paulw
09-11-2009, 05:03 PM
No point in attaching it to a PC as there is not software to go with it only a USB driver to get mp3 content across and back. I have one that i unlocked and it runs both CDMA and GSM. Have you been able to get into "Setting' >Network selection" and made sure it is not set to some unknown state or something. Otherwise I would give it the "float test" and buy a cheap 2D for your wife. A couple of weeks ago some retailers were still selling W531s real cheap..

yotpop
09-11-2009, 05:07 PM
Thanks - as before - I can't get past those dumb screens and into the Menu. I suppose I could try it on Trade Me as "Space Junk" - it's taking up space and it appears to be junk!