PDA

View Full Version : Strange network issue

nofam
09-11-2009, 10:59 AM
I'm slowly ripping my DVD collection (very slowly as it's a P4!) to my media server (XP Pro), and I very occasionally get a weird issue when I copy the finished .mkv file from the temporary rips folder to the Movies folder (they're all on the same SATA drive). The server is headless, so I control it wirelessly via TightVNC on my lappy.

Normally, copying a 1.5Gb file from one location to another on the same physical disk is near-instantaneous, but when the issue occurs, it takes around 8 minutes - pretty much exactly how long it would take to copy over the WLAN if the rip was on my lappy?

As I said, it only happens very occasionally, but I'm curious as to why? Usually when I move files around on the server I'm accessing it via a mapped drive rather than remotely. Is it just a case of Windows getting a bit confused about where the files are?

Any ideas? :confused:

MushHead
09-11-2009, 01:57 PM
Normally, copying a 1.5Gb file from one location to another on the same physical disk is near-instantaneous, ...

I'm assuming you meant "moving" here, but if you didn't, then you answered your own question.

Sure you're not hitting CTRL when drag'n'dropping?

nofam
09-11-2009, 02:10 PM
I'm assuming you meant "moving" here, but if you didn't, then you answered your own question.

Sure you're not hitting CTRL when drag'n'dropping?

Yeah, my bad Mushhead - I did mean moving as opposed to copying - the rips folder is a temp directory that nothing is stored in.

Reasonably sure that I didn't accidentally copy it, as I usually use the right-click and drag function, which clearly shows moving or copying.

Food for thought though - will try to take note next time it happens.

:thumbs:

wratterus
09-11-2009, 02:13 PM
Yeah def check that moving/copying thing, only other way that kind of thing could be happening is if Windoze was being a complete Muppet and thinking one of the folders was not local and somehow copying it over the network. Don't know how that could actually happen though. :p

Out of interest nofam, what software are you using to rip to .mkv? I've been on the hunt for something decent but haven't been able to find anything I like as of yet.

nofam
09-11-2009, 02:47 PM
Yeah def check that moving/copying thing. Out of interest nofam, what software are you using to rip to .mkv? I've been on the hunt for something decent but haven't been able to find anything I like as of yet.

Still a two-step process I'm afraid Wrat - DVD Decryptor to rip to .iso, and then Handbrake to encode using H.264/AAC into an .mkv container. Takes forever on my old P4, but an 8Gb .iso ends up around 1.8Gb.

The whole DRM schmozzle with Blu-ray has prevented anyone from developing an elegant piece of software to do what should be easy and legal to do.

wratterus
09-11-2009, 02:49 PM
Still a two-step process I'm afraid Wrat - DVD Decryptor to rip to .iso, and then Handbrake to encode using H.264/AAC into an .mkv container. Takes forever on my old P4, but an 8Gb .iso ends up around 1.8Gb.

The whole DRM schmozzle with Blu-ray has prevented anyone from developing an elegant piece of software to do what should be easy and legal to do.

As I thought - thanks though. :thumbs:

nofam
09-11-2009, 02:52 PM
As I thought - thanks though. :thumbs:

Check this (http://www.makemkv.com/) out though Wrat - there's a thread on it here (http://forum.doom9.org/showthread.php?t=144611) which is worth a read. If the dev manages to get it working, it will be fantastic.

wratterus
09-11-2009, 02:57 PM
Giggidy gig. :banana

SolMiester
09-11-2009, 03:18 PM
I have seen an issue like that before.....its where the pc controlling the transfer actually becomes involved with the transfer......If I were to move folder a to folder b on the same disk,BUT are using my pc explorer shell, then the transfer will be so as the command is coming from my pc....if that makes sense!