PDA

View Full Version : Wireless Broadband Modems

JJJJJ
09-11-2009, 08:49 AM
Thinking of a wireless modem.I know nothing about them. So:
Are they any good? (Compared with conventional one)
What is their speed like?
Do they require batteries . (That go flat)
Do I no longer need to plug it into the phone jack?
I'm very dubious about the wire less bit. I have unpleasant memories of wireless keyboards and mice. And the number of flat batteries I accumulated.

Everytime I look at the jumble of wires and cables that keep tangling themselves up, I start thinhing 'wireless".

Jack

inphinity
09-11-2009, 09:11 AM
You will still need to plug it in to the phone line for ADSL, and to a power jack. You will need wireless adapters in any PCs that you want to connect wirelessly. You will get considerably lower LAN speeds (not really an issue for internet access though) than with a cabled ethernet LAN.

Unless, of course, you're looking at a 3G modem.

Speedy Gonzales
09-11-2009, 09:12 AM
Depends how far apart whatever is, on how fast / good it is. The main thing make sure its secure.. Get rechargeable batteries then

wratterus
09-11-2009, 09:23 AM
If you game online at all (I think you do?) then stay right away from wireless. Not as solid/speedy as cable. A wireless ADSL Router still has to be plugged into the phone jack and power plug, and there needs to be a receiver on the PC end. No batteries involved.

Chilling_Silence
09-11-2009, 01:57 PM
Go for something such as a NetComm NB6Plus4Wn. They're the *best*, reliable little buggers (Unlike the cheap crap that Thomson stuff that Telecom gives out which fail constantly), and they just keep going and going. Good sync speeds. Wireless is nice and reliable. Easy initial setup via the Wizard, but lots and lots of features if you're technically minded and feel like exploring.

Can't recommend them enough, I don't even waste my time with cheaper crap these days, it's just not worth it, for the $180 it'd cost to buy one ;)

Another thing: Most people mention how much "slower" Wireless is compared with your LAN, but the bottleneck is almost always your ADSL Broadband connection speeds, so unless you're doing lots of file transfers between PC's then you'll never notice any difference between Wireless and a cable to your PC for internet browsing :)

Blam
09-11-2009, 08:30 PM
Yea, +1 to Chills comments, although unless you do alot of online gaming then even wireless G would be fine. Range may be a slight issue but you can always set up a repeater or WDS

When you ask if it runs of of battery, are you confusing a Wireless Router with a 3G modem?

The latter is quite slow and extremely expensive, so unless you REALLY hate wires then I would go for the prior.

Wireless Routers run on AC adapters.

The Wireless is referring to the way it broadcasts the "Internet" to other PCs, rather than wireless as in no wires at all:p

Blam