PDA

View Full Version : Domain to workgroup??

Samk
08-11-2009, 09:30 PM
Hi, i have a Windows xp professional computer. It used to be a company computer on a domain. It was then given to me. I was trying to get it to see my home network so i changed it from domain to workgroup (mine being mshome). I then restarted it and now i can't login because there is no domain.
how can i change it back so i can log on?

Any help would be awesome.
:badpc:

Speedy Gonzales
08-11-2009, 10:32 PM
Were you admin there?? If you werent, I would take it back, and get them to remove the restrictions. Otherwise, you may have to reinstall

CYaBro
08-11-2009, 10:45 PM
No way to put it back on the domain without actually being on the network with the domain that you want to join on it.
Can you log in as the administrator without a password?

Blam
09-11-2009, 12:18 AM
You can't add it back to the domain anymore, as there is not domain controller present as you are no longer connected to the network..

What you should be able to do however, is logon to the Administrator account.

At the logon screen make sure the option to logon to the computer is selected, and the username is Administrator

If its password protected, download this:
http://www.piotrbania.com/all/kon-boot/data/CD-konboot-v1.1-2in1.zip

Extract the zip, then burn the ISO with an image burner(such as ImgBurn)

Next, boot from it, and let it bootup as normal. Then, at the logon screen logon as Admin again, without a password. This time it'll work

Then, you'll need to do this:

1. Open cmd

2. Type in net user Administrator *

3. Type in the password you want(if it looks like you're not typing, don't worry, its normal:p). Press enter

4. Retype and hit enter

Now, just boot as normal and use the password you set to logon as Admin, and create/remove user accounts

Blam

Samk
09-11-2009, 08:21 AM
I have tried to log as the admin but the problem is the box at the logon screen where you can change from domain to "this computer" is not there. All the options key does is hide the shutdown key. I have tried starting up in safe mode but nothing happens. Is there anything i can do to make the domain box appear? OR is my only option reinstall???

Thanks for the help.

CYaBro
09-11-2009, 09:16 AM
I have tried to log as the admin but the problem is the box at the logon screen where you can change from domain to "this computer" is not there. All the options key does is hide the shutdown key. I have tried starting up in safe mode but nothing happens. Is there anything i can do to make the domain box appear? OR is my only option reinstall???

Thanks for the help.

That is normal if the computer is no longer on a domain, you don't see that drop down option unless it is on a domain.
Again, no way to get it back without having the machine on the network that has the domain controller available and then joining the domain again.

Sounds like you will have to follow blams advice on how to change the admin password.

inphinity
09-11-2009, 09:20 AM
That box won't be there if it's been removed from the domain, you just need to know the local Administrator account details. Or, use a boot CD that lets you reset it as per above.

Samk
09-11-2009, 01:47 PM
I will try that and will post later today.

Thanks for the help so far!!!

SolMiester
09-11-2009, 03:28 PM
Hi, i have a Windows xp professional computer. It used to be a company computer on a domain. It was then given to me. I was trying to get it to see my home network so i changed it from domain to workgroup (mine being mshome). I then restarted it and now i can't login because there is no domain.
how can i change it back so i can log on?

Any help would be awesome.
:badpc:

So, what you needed was to create a new local user\admin account before leaving the domain....

Unless you have a local administrator account, you will need to re-install!

WarNox
09-11-2009, 04:36 PM
You do not need to re-install. Just reset the local administrator password using a boot cd. I've used (http://home.eunet.no/pnordahl/ntpasswd/) multiple times and it's always worked.

That will remove the password and then you can just log in using 'Administrator' for the user name and a blank password.

Unless you can't boot into a CD, in which case you might need to re-install. Or hope there is no local admin password set :)