PDA

View Full Version : Technical Curiosity 2

Poppa John
08-11-2009, 10:43 AM
Hi All

Three parts to this question.

1) Two desktop comps , networked. Both using the same modem. adsl line. Name, say is, "Poppa John @ISP.co.nz. We are both drawing down on our broadband quota.

Q...Does the ISP know or care that two comps are running on one adsl line.?

2) If the two desktops were not networked & both connected into the modem, would the ISP see that as two comps. Also, if one comp is up & running, would that shut the other comp out. Saying perhaps.....Line already in use?

3) for Mrs next door. One desktop via single outlet modem onto ISP adsl. She buys a wireless laptop. Connects the wireless/Manual Router to the modem. Modem out to router inlet. Connect Desktop to router. I am pretty sure that will work the desktop.

So to the Laptop. Doing the normal wireless setup connect the laptop to the router. Will that connect her to the internet?

Q./..Does the setup need to be networked & can one network a desktop to a laptop.

Whew, out of breath now. PJ

nedkelly
08-11-2009, 10:57 AM
Wow. Ok
1. Isp will see the connection is active, dont think they can see how many computers are running (hope not or they might think im a business).
2. Does the modem have a router built into it? Cause most modems are single pc modems with only one ethernet rj-45 plug in them.
3. Yeah thats what I have set up at my house. She will just have to enable wireless radio on the router cause most routers come with wireless disabled. Oh make sure you set WPA for security (WPA2 if the laptop can take it)
Not sure about last Q. Any chance you can explain further?

Poppa John
08-11-2009, 11:08 AM
ned... The last question.

Two desktops are networked. Does th other setup...Desktop & Laptop need to be networked. PJ

nedkelly
08-11-2009, 11:12 AM
networked? As in being part of the same workgroup?

nedkelly
08-11-2009, 11:19 AM
well any way a laptop is just the same as a pc just less powered but still the same OS and hardware. So anything that can be done on a desktop should be able to be done on a laptop

Poppa John
08-11-2009, 11:22 AM
networked? As in being part of the same workgroup?

Yes. PJ

nedkelly
08-11-2009, 11:26 AM
yeah should be no problem. I have my desktops and laptops all part of the same workgroup

Poppa John
08-11-2009, 11:40 AM
Ok Thanks. PJ

Speedy Gonzales
08-11-2009, 11:59 AM
1. I've got 3 PC's here sharing the net. I pay for it, so why would be the ISP care :p. If you werent allowed to share a internet connection routers wouldnt exist.

2. No. Both will still get on the net, if both are connected to the router and configured. And no if you have a router, with ports, thats why theyre there. To network

3. Both need to have wireless if you want to use wireless. And to get on the net (if youre not using ethernet)

4. You would have to configure the wireless properly, for it to work. It may also depend on where the desktop and laptop are (how far theyre from each other). On how good the signal is (for wireless)

5. You can network anything depending on how you want to network. BUT both have to have either ethernet or wireless to connect to each other. And to get onto the internet

ryanjames.powell
08-11-2009, 06:21 PM
It should be noted in regards to having two internet connected PC's and being able to connect them at the same time, that you must share the same modem, as two ADSL modems will not connect on one phone line at the same time. Just a side note, I realise that this is not what you are trying to do.

gary67
08-11-2009, 06:53 PM
Also if both are running some intensive internet stuff the connection slows down

Poppa John
08-11-2009, 07:15 PM
Ok thanks, I have learnt a lot. Now if only I can rememder it!!! PJ

gary67
08-11-2009, 07:24 PM
easy bookmark this thread I often do that and give it a name that is relevant, either that or I just copy and paste relevant info into a word doc, I have about 100 word docs all on different subjects culled from this forum I just title them as to what the info holds

Poppa John
09-11-2009, 11:03 AM
easy bookmark this thread I often do that and give it a name that is relevant, either that or I just copy and paste relevant info into a word doc, I have about 100 word docs all on different subjects culled from this forum I just title them as to what the info holds

How & where to? PJ

Blam
09-11-2009, 01:30 PM
How & where to? PJ

If you want to bookmark then Ctrl+D on the webpage, you can then access it again under favourites